PDA

View Full Version : Car products on boats

Hjfowler
04-08-2014, 01:23 PM
A few questions:

1. Can you use car products in boats? (XMT 360 specifically)

2. Is the gel coat the whole thickness of the smooth covering over the rest of the fiberglass? (About 1-2 mm thick)

3? Can I use the same polishing and compounding pads on gel coat that I use on clear coat? (Orange LC pads)

Thanks in advance. The boat I'm going to be working on isn't too bad, but there is some oxidation. I was thinking about starting with an actual compound, then a polish. Perhaps XMT.

Theraven
04-17-2014, 01:11 AM
You can use car products on boats, if there's med-heavy oxidation and or decent amout of swirls/scratches a good marine compound is needed with wool/rotary. You can you the same pads for cars/clear coat on gel, as usual start with wool(if needed) and finish with foam, depending on the condition. Yes the gelcoat is the whole thickness over the glass.

brondondolon
04-17-2014, 01:26 AM
Car products will work but marine products will work a whole lot faster.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Theraven
04-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Tried some 3m Auto advance rubbing compound (i bought at Walmart) , on a old Bertram, It worked great, cut fast, and it actually polishes the surface ,unlike the crap marine compound my boss uses, which is really greasy, low/poor cutting ability, and it seems like it just burnishes the surface rather than attempting to truly polish it. The stuff will gum up your pads like no tomorrow. I've had really good results with 3m and Megs car products on boats, haven't experiment with anything else really.