PDA

View Full Version : Leather Products (pH info and more)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

D
07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
The point of this thread is to find out what the safest products are for your leather. Ive been told that leather cleaners should have a pH of 5- 5.5. And cleaners that are very basic (pH of 11+) will actually remove tanning agents from leather and dry them out thus removing natural oils. So thats what everything will be based on unless I find out otherwise.

DP Total Interior Cleaner mixed 1:1- pH of 7.65 (tested by wolfpacker92)
Meg's APC mixed 10:1- pH of 12.41 (tested by wolfpacker92)
Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner- pH of 7 (according to Meguairs)
Meguiar's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner D180- pH of 9 (according to Meguiars)
Zaino Z9- pH of 8 (according to Zaino)
Zaino Z10- pH of 7.8 (according to Zaino)
Lexol-pH Leather Cleaner- pH of 5.0 to 6.0 (according to Lexol)
Lexol Leather Conditioner- pH of 6.8 to 7.0 (according to Lexol)
Woolite- pH of 7.42 (tested by sparkie)
Woolite 10:1- pH of 7.23 (tested by sparkie)

303 Protectant- ?
Poorboys Natural Look- ?
Poorboys Leather Stuff- ?
DP Interior Protectant- ?
Pinnacle Leather Conditioner- ?
Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner- ?
Pinnacle Vinyl and Leather Cleaner- ?
Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner- ?
Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner- ?
Connolly Hide Care Leather Conditioner- ?
Connolly Leather Care Cleaner- ?
DG #201- ?
DG #441- ?
Four Star Ultimate Leather Conditioner- ?
Four Star Leather Cleaner Gel- ?
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil- ?
Leatherique Prestine Clean- ?
Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner- ?
Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner- ?
Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Spray- ?
Mothers Reflections Advanced Leather Care- ?
Mothers Leather Conditioner- ?
Mothers Leather Cleaner- ?
NTS7 Leather Foam- ?

How to test if leather is coated
Place a drop of water on the seat. If it gets soaked up and durns the leather dark then it IS NOT coated. If it just sits there and beads then it IS coated. (This info came from killr if I remember correctly.)

wolfpacker92
07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
D&D I'm wondering why you would need something more acidic (5-5.5 ph) than almost neutral to clean leather. We have Sulfuric Acid here at work and I know what it will do to a pair of leather boots. I know that the Sulfuric is way more acidic than a 5-5.5 ph but still I wonder why it would be beneficial to have something on the acidic side of the PH scale as opposed to around neutral, what benefit does it serve. I guess I wonder because some manufacturers PHs on leather cleaners are higher than 7.

Jimmie
07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Just checked all of my bottles of leather products. Couldn't find anything about PH. I see that you are keeping your original post updated as you get info. I'll let you know if I get any info.
Good enough for me to never try Z stuff .

D
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
D&D I'm wondering why you would need something more acidic (5-5.5 ph) than almost neutral to clean leather. We have Sulfuric Acid here at work and I know what it will do to a pair of leather boots. I know that the Sulfuric is way more acidic than a 5-5.5 ph but still I wonder why it would be beneficial to have something on the acidic side of the PH scale as opposed to around neutral, what benefit does it serve. I guess I wonder because some manufacturers PHs on leather cleaners are higher than 7.

I have no idea. The info came from, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/104917-post15.html Heres some background info on him, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/107117-post12.html So looks like the info is coming from a reliable source.

supercharged
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
The point of this thread is to find out what the safest products are for your leather. Ive been told that leather cleaners should have a pH of 5- 5.5. And cleaners that are very basic (pH of 11+) will actually remove tanning agents from leather. So thats what everything will be based on unless I find out otherwise.

DP Total Interior Cleaner mixed 1:1- pH of 7.65
Meg's APC mixed 10:1- pH of 12.41 (should absolutely NOT be used on leather)
Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner- pH of 7 (according to Meguairs)
Zaino Z9- pH of 8 (according to Zaino) Already gave me #### for asking. Hopefully other companies dont act like them. Just gave me another reason why I wont ever use nor recommend their ####.
Zaino Z10- pH of 7.8 (according to Zaino)
Not sure what PH will be on Woolite cut 8:1/10:1 but I think it should be safe for leather. Might require rinsing though.

gary26
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
D & D I just read a post on another forum (Cadillac) that Ottawa leather one of the largest suppliers of leather auto seats suggest that you only clean your seats with a mild soap and water. The only preservative you should use on their leather is Tanner's Preserve. I don't know but you would think that one of the largest suppliers of leather would know their stuff. Just my 2 cents !
Gary26

D
07-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe they have a deal with Tanner's stuff?

gary26
07-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Maybe someone on this forum or AG could give us the PH'S on products availiable here Like Connoly Hide or Leatherique ? Leather is important stuff not to use the wrong products on.
Gary26

gary26
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe your right D & D. Maybe your right finding out the PH balance in these products. Please keep the good info coming.
Gary26

gary26
07-17-2007, 01:05 PM
D & D I just went to the Tanner's Preserve site and read the MSDS sheets on the conditioner and cleaners. Well MSDS sheets were no help saying PH was undetermined. Well I guess I thought Otawa Leather would know what there talking about, but maybe not. Maybe I'll make a phone call to find out
Gary26

Junebug
07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
I've been using Lexol products without any problems - seems to work fine on Lexus, GM and Fords.

eddluva22
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
anyone thought of or have experience using these new steam machine/extractors, they are suppose to work very very fast and awesome results, just wipe the residue and dirt with a mf when finished.anyone have any info.

ScottB
07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
D & D I just went to the Tanner's Preserve site and read the MSDS sheets on the conditioner and cleaners. Well MSDS sheets were no help saying PH was undetermined. Well I guess I thought Otawa Leather would know what there talking about, but maybe not. Maybe I'll make a phone call to find out
Gary26
I cannot begin to give the levels of PH in our product lines, as I dont have them. I do know neutral is a 7 . So if 5.5 is safe on one end of the chart, would 8.5 be ok on the other side (like Zaino) for instance ?? Someone with chemistry background please discuss.

I would NEVER use any APC on leather in full strength, and would resist diluted. Thats why they make leather cleaners anyways.

D
07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I cannot begin to give the levels of PH in our product lines, as I dont have them. I do know neutral is a 7 . So if 5.5 is safe on one end of the chart, would 8.5 be ok on the other side (like Zaino) for instance ?? Someone with chemistry background please discuss.

I would NEVER use any APC on leather in full strength, and would resist diluted. Thats why they make leather cleaners anyways.

Well according to TOGWT, who is a chemical engineer, cleaners with a very basic pH (high #), will dry the leather out and remove tanning agents. I assume neutral is safe since 5 is safe. The question is how basic is safe? I dont think Id use something above 8. But Im talking out of my ass here and dont really know.

Bunky
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
GST AutoLeather, supposedly makes for Lexus, Lincoln, Ford, etc recommends a mild soap as well. I saw on reference that woolite (full strength) has a ph of 9.