PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Carpet and interior plastic trim any way to repair ? recommendations

thebouncer
04-08-2014, 10:37 AM
How can you repair damaged carpet in a vehicle?

My girlfriend just got a used 2011 Jeep Liberty sport and discovered a 3 to 4 inch wide hole by about 1 - 2 inches tall near the seat in the floorboard we both missed this when looking at the vehicle and I remember their was a large rubber floormat in the vehicle when we test drove it. The dealer covered it over with an oversized rubber floor mat. :mad:

The previous owner of the vehicle wore high heeled shoes and dug her heel through the carpet.

And how can you repair interior plastic trim ?

Also it looks like she might have had a little foo foo dog on her lap as the plastic interior trim on the drivers side has little pieces of rough plastic flared up like sharp little nails picked at it but no holes. I am thinking maybe a very fine sandpaper might remove the roughness without ruining the textured pattern or creating scratches? Any recommendations

allenk4
04-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Carefully heating the damaged plastic will melt the "little pieces of rough plastic flared up like sharp little nails picked at it" and turn them darker.

Some people use a hair dryer. I found that didn't work for me.

Some people have used a heat gun. $20 at Harbor Freight.

A simple Bic lighter worked for me.

Be careful

mac11wildcat
04-08-2014, 02:30 PM
If its textured trim you'll never get it back to perfect. Youre either going to deal with discoloration and remaining imperfections or a mixed surface finish. If its a cheap trim piece maybe just consider buying a new one. There are several sites with OEM part schematics.

As far as the carpet youre probably out of luck without getting a new section of carpet. Always count on dealers to find the quick way to mask damage; arent they the greatest?

thebouncer
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
If its textured trim you'll never get it back to perfect. Youre either going to deal with discoloration and remaining imperfections or a mixed surface finish. If its a cheap trim piece maybe just consider buying a new one. There are several sites with OEM part schematics.

As far as the carpet youre probably out of luck without getting a new section of carpet. Always count on dealers to find the quick way to mask damage; arent they the greatest?

yeah I'm not happy about it but they did just recently drop the price of the vehicle $560 3 weeks ago and they claimed to be a no dicker dealer which I got them talked into giving $1,700 (we started at $1,000) on a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee with failed clear coat, scratches, torn headliner and other issues. In addition they dropped another $300 on the price of the vehicle. I guess in the end they still stuck it to us but I'm glad I got them talked down had I seen that from the get go I would have asked for more off.