PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Swirls on a New Black Truck :(

Pages : [1] 2 3

X Gixxer 1000 X
04-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Vehicle is a 2014 Ram in Black. I bought it in january and I guess it had been sitting for awhile on the roof of the car dealer and acquired some heavy water spots. I brought some Z6 Zaino and some AIO to the dealer the second day before I signed the papers and couldnt really get those spots out. The sales guy said he would take care of it and it happens all the time, no biggie..... Well I should have kept my mouth shut.. I didnt really want them to wash it or anything but I guess its procedure and had to be done. When I asked what was taking so long, he said they were buffing it. At this point I freaked and ran out there and stopped them. I noted what they were using and all the swirl marks they had put in the hood, luckily they only did the hood and a tiny bit on top of the front fenders. Ive been battling these marks since.

They were using a wool buffing pad on low with an orbital and some non abrasive wax like meguiars or something. When I got the truck home I clayed it and tried to start from scratch. I cannot for the life of me get these swirls out of the hood. They are much less apparent then when I bought the truck, still not completely gone. Ive probably put about 12 coats of Z5 on, tried hand buffing, and tried a yellow polishing pad connected to a drill on the lowest setting using Meg. Ultimate polish (that actually seemed to make it worse, probably from stripping the Z5 off).

I want to get these swirls out but I'm terrified of wearing down the clear at all since this is a new truck and I will probably be keeping it for a long time.

The rest of the truck is perfect and has alot of zaino Z5 on it. I also want to add while I am at it that I have ALOT of streaks after I apply Z5. I do it VERY thin and follow the exact instructions. I feel like its the humidity in FL thats causing it. Is there something better than Zaino that I can layer? I dont want to wait 12 hours like wolfgang's stuff and I do not have a garage to park it while I wait.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

Nick

LaFawnduh
04-07-2014, 11:20 PM
I know you're worried but the only thing that is going to fix the problem is some compound. The reason you are likely seeing spots reappear is the polish is cleaning some of the fillers out of the swirls that was there from the Z5.

Overall, of you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, I wouldn't worry about the clear coat. It takes years of compounding to get close to getting through a modern clear coat. If you want to stay in the consumer lines and less expensive, the meguiars ultimate compound is a great product where you can vary the aggressiveness of the 'cut' by starting with a less strong pad - a yellow polishing before going to the burgundy cut.

I have a black jeep GC and I can tell you the clear coat is reasonable hard so you'll be ok. Just make sure to do a test spot to make sure what you are doing is fixing the problem before doing the whole hood.

Good luck! I'm sure others will add great feedback - you've come to the right place for help... I've learned from experience.

X Gixxer 1000 X
04-08-2014, 12:00 AM
I know you're worried but the only thing that is going to fix the problem is some compound. The reason you are likely seeing spots reappear is the polish is cleaning some of the fillers out of the swirls that was there from the Z5.

Overall, of you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, I wouldn't worry about the clear coat. It takes years of compounding to get close to getting through a modern clear coat. If you want to stay in the consumer lines and less expensive, the meguiars ultimate compound is a great product where you can vary the aggressiveness of the 'cut' by starting with a less strong pad - a yellow polishing before going to the burgundy cut.

I have a black jeep GC and I can tell you the clear coat is reasonable hard so you'll be ok. Just make sure to do a test spot to make sure what you are doing is fixing the problem before doing the whole hood.

Good luck! I'm sure others will add great feedback - you've come to the right place for help... I've learned from experience.
Thats good news. I was worried about Chrysler's clear, nice to know its harder then I thought. I was thinking of going to the autogeek coffee saturday thing. Maybe I can get Mike to do it for me.. haha

LaFawnduh
04-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Docpeanut (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1071424)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AhSmV1SQJjifdEU5TGNRdTQ2RzNVcjQySE9QVnowWF E&usp=sharing

Check out this link for recommended pad / product use and clear coat hardnesses.

HateSwirls
04-08-2014, 03:16 AM
A bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound should remove the defects here using a DA, and an orange pad then follow up with a fine polish using either a white polishing pad or a finishing pad.

BobbyG
04-08-2014, 06:37 AM
A bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound should remove the defects here using a DA, and an orange pad then follow up with a fine polish using either a white polishing pad or a finishing pad.

Following some sounds advise will only bring great results....:props:

VP Mark
04-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Compound
Polish
If you Dont feel comfortable machine polishing AG sells hand polishing pads.

As for LSPs.. zaino is good stuff but there are friendlier and easier products to use there. If I were you and didn't want to apply a coating I would put collinite 476 on it every 6 months and top that monthly with Optimum Opti Seal or Car Wax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

parttimer
04-08-2014, 07:15 AM
I have a dark cherry 2013 RAM, don't worry about running out of clear, its a hard a$$ clear. I used Menz 2500 on a cyan HT pad if I recall correctly and ended up with an awesome finish. Although I bought my truck on a Sunday at 445 PM and the dealer closed at 5 so we stood outside at 530 pealing the plastic off so the lot boys didn't get a chance to work their magic!

Desertnate
04-08-2014, 08:00 AM

I'll join BobbyG in endorsing this one. I bolded probably the most important point in that comment. It will take a machine to get those marks out. I'd also suggest that you follow up with Meguiars Ultimate Polish to really get the shine going.

For years I tried to buff the swirls out of my car by hand using different polishes, but nothing seemed to work. I was beginning to think the products were all snake oil until I bought a DA and give it a shot.

BobbyG
04-08-2014, 08:20 AM
For years I tried to buff the swirls out of my car by hand using different polishes, but nothing seemed to work. I was beginning to think the products were all snake oil until I bought a DA and give it a shot.

This is SO true! :props:

Try as we may, working a finish manually usually ends up with sore muscles and inconsistency. Polishing using a dual action polisher is much easier and the difference in results are astounding. :props:

sethr
04-08-2014, 08:28 AM
I'd go easy first on a section with Swirl-X on a DA. It took them out of what I thought was impossible. Back down to Scratch-X if that does't work.

LaFawnduh
04-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Seems like OP doesn't have a DA? Only the Megs kit for use with his drill. Usually the Megs polishing pad (yellow) corresponds the orange or white in most referred posts above - someone please correct me if I am mistaken as I haven't seen a comparison in a while.

If OP wants to continue with Megs and the drill accessory, I'd say to buy the ultimate compound pack, which comes with a more aggressive pad, but start with the yellow pad / Ult compound combo before moving to the more aggressive burgundy pad which comes in the kit.

Just remember to clean pad thoroughly when switching between compounds and polishes or else you could mix your results.

X Gixxer 1000 X
04-08-2014, 10:53 AM
I appreciate all the help! I do have a buffer, although it may not be the correct one. I don't really feel comfortable using a machine. I think I'm going to have to let someone else do that. I am not even sure of the buffer I have. When I get home I'll snap a picture of the two buffers I have. Is anyone here going to the coffee saturday meet?

I've heard a lot about colllonite recently, Id invested quite a bit in zaino so I hadn't tried it yet but these streaks are bothering me. I want to wash it so bad right after I put zaino on. Doesn't sound right, feel like it should look it's best right after. Anyone else use a leaf blower to dry their vehicles?

Eric@CherryOnTop
04-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Are you near autogeeks hq? You might be able to get mike to use your truck for a Thursday night makeover. It would be a great teachable moment for you and he always makes killer write ups and videos to showcase a particular product line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rms64
04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
If you're anywhere near Orlando, shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to assist. :xyxthumbs: