PDA

View Full Version : First polisher for a weekend warrior

Pages : [1] 2

tommygee
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm ready for my first polisher. Strictly a weekend warrior with one car to take care of. I clay and use the Klasse twins and top with a few coats of 845 3 times a year. The first two times was fun. But the last time I was getting a little tired of hand applying all those coats and buffing them out. So it's time for a polisher. I was reading about the HF polisher on another thread. I'm also looking at the PC 7424XP and maybe the Mikita. I know I'll use this more than 3 times a year but is it worth it to spend the extra $ or just go with HF polisher with better backing plate and pads? I hate going low cost because every time I do: I end up SPENDING MORE! What do you think?

jem7sk
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Pc 7424xp

HD.Detailing
04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
hf>pc imo

Klasse Act
04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Griot's Garage 6". The price, ease of use and warranty are 2nd to none, great customer service too!

You can applyeverything with it except KSG, stick with hand application there, not even worth it with a machine as it will go on and come off w/o even seeing it, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Evan.J
04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Griot's Garage 6". The price, ease of use and warranty are 2nd to none, great customer service too!

You can applyeverything with it except KSG, stick with hand application there, not even worth it with a machine as it will go on and come off w/o even seeing it, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

:iagree:

maximus5403
04-07-2014, 04:40 PM
I started with a PC7424xp, but wish I would have spent the extra for a Flex at the time. The vibrations from the PC will make your hands/fingers hurt for days after. lol

Just02896
04-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Flex or Rupes and never look back!

Eric
04-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Harbor Freight DA with a 5" backing plate

weekendwarrior
04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
From your post it sounds like all you need is a wax spreader unless I missed something. Just spreading sealant and wax? Machine polisher is overkill for 3 times/year. Spreader Much cheaper than machine polisher.

HD.Detailing
04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Flex or Rupes and never look back!

agree if money not a main issue

dsg03gt
04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
If I had to do it again I would get the rupes or flex as my first machine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

BobbyG
04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Caution - This is the way Detailing Addition manifests itself...After many years you "suddenly" NEED equipment, tools and products!! :laughing:

All of the machines available through Autogeek are without question the finest you'll find anywhere. Will you be satisfied with a Flex 3401 or Rupes LHR 15ES? I hope so because these are the among the finest machines available today. If money's not an issue then add one to your cart and don't look back..

Realistically though, could you achieve identical results with something like Porter Cable 7424xp (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html) or Griots RA? Yes you can and without breaking the bank. Both machines are durable and comfortable.

Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Kamakaz1961
04-07-2014, 05:26 PM
If money no object Flex 3401 VRG. I started with a PC 7424XP and was extremely happy with that. You can't go wrong with that and they have quite the selection of backing plates so you can pick and choose the size of pads.

tommygee
04-07-2014, 05:27 PM
From your post it sounds like all you need is a wax spreader unless I missed something. Just spreading sealant and wax? Machine polisher is overkill for 3 times/year. Spreader Much cheaper than machine polisher.

I hear ya. I will also do some correcting and I can always mess around with my kid's car. Plus since this is my hobby I want to take it up a notch.

cleanmycorolla
04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I always say, can't beat a Griots 6". Price, warranty, and its a powerful little sucker.

If you want to go big, Rupes Duetto