PDA

View Full Version : Removing Polish From Scratch Sensitive Black Paint

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
04-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Over the weekend I did a one-step (AIO) on a 2012 Black Jetta. The paint was hard but very scratch sensitive when I was removing the polish. I tried Megs D151, Optimum GPS, M205 and BF Total Polish & Seal, regardless of the product I was getting hazing/micro marring after buffing off the polish. I then tried a soaked microfiber towel with ONR and there was much less marring to none at all.

I knew the marring was from the towel because it was in straight lines, versus circular from the polisher.

So my question is what is causing the micro marring? Is it the abrasives in the polish as you try to remove it or is it not enough lubrication of the microfiber towel. It was a huge headache.

Wes Bremec
04-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Look into sonax paint cleaner for your next headache

Christopher.Brown
04-07-2014, 08:15 AM
The paint was hard but very scratch sensitive when I was removing the polish.

I knew the marring was from the towel because it was in straight lines, versus circular from the polisher.

Sounds like softer paint to me. If a finish polish or towel is leaving scratches then the paint would tend to be soft.

Secondly, use LESS polish. If finicky and wipe off is an issue, reduce this problem by lowering the amount of product. ESPECIALLY on softer paints. The more product used the more abrasion particles that are introduced to the surface. On sensitive paint one would want to use JUST enough, not more than that. Can take trial an error, but once it is dialed in then it makes life a LOT EASIER.

TEST PANELS FOR THE ENTIRE POLISHING PROCESSES ARE ESSENTIAL BEFORE STARTING ANY VEHICLE!!

Something that would aid in stubborn compound or polish removal: Take a new pad and a small paint brush. Use the tip of the brush to BARELY apply some polish to the new pad to remove the old polish.

Like removes like, coupled with abrasion works very well, especially since it sounds as if the friction from the wiping motion was causing issues.

HD.Detailing
04-07-2014, 04:16 PM
I think Scott knows more than enough about test spots.. had to chuckle at that post.

but great info, can't be said enough

Christopher.Brown
04-07-2014, 04:50 PM
I wasnt implying that he wasnt doing test spots....

It was more of the stream of consciousness writing and generalized thought process for anyone following the thread

statusdetailing
04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Over the weekend I did a one-step (AIO) on a 2012 Black Jetta. The paint was hard but very scratch sensitive when I was removing the polish. I tried Megs D151, Optimum GPS, M205 and BF Total Polish & Seal, regardless of the product I was getting hazing/micro marring after buffing off the polish. I then tried a soaked microfiber towel with ONR and there was much less marring to none at all.

So my question is what is causing the micro marring? Is it the abrasives in the polish as you try to remove it or is it not enough lubrication of the microfiber towel. It was a huge headache.

Hey Scott, I've switched from 151 to d301 for my go to AIO. Yeah, 151 has a slight cutting edge over 301, but it can be a pain to remove, which ultimately causes marring.

301 will remove light swirls, light bug etching, etc and it's insanely easy to remove. It also smells so good you will want to eat it. . .like blueberries.

This is the only process (AIO with D301) where I use a meg's MF finishing pads.

As with many products paired with a mf pad, I prime the pad very well and then subsequently only use 2 pea sized drops per section.

It takes only a very light wipe to remove the product.

Slightly off subject, I know, but I figured it might indirectly solve part of your problem.

HD.Detailing
04-07-2014, 05:06 PM
I wasnt implying that he wasnt doing test spots....

It was more of the stream of consciousness writing and generalized thought process for anyone following the thread

i figured,, just made me chuckle

dannyBBQ
04-07-2014, 06:58 PM
What MF are you using?

I was having the same issues on soft jet black BMW paint using my typical 500 gsm MF with silk edges. Those edges can mar very soft paint.

Don't let your edges touch the paint or use edgeless towels.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_126.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_226.JPG

Mike Phillips
04-09-2014, 06:44 AM
So my question is what is causing the micro marring?

Is it the abrasives in the polish as you try to remove it or is it not enough lubrication of the microfiber towel.

Where you at with this?

:)

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
What MF are you using?

I was having the same issues on soft jet black BMW paint using my typical 500 gsm MF with silk edges. Those edges can mar very soft paint.

Don't let your edges touch the paint or use edgeless towels.

[img]http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_126.JPG[img]

[img]http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_226.JPG[img]

I tired several different towels and it didn't seem to make a difference until I added ONR.

Where you at with this?

:)

Well I'm not sure what is causing the marring. When I applied OPT Car Wax with the same towel that was causing marring when removing the AIOs and polish I didn't have this micro-marring.

I'm assuming it's the abrasives in the AIO/polish, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, is short nap better or long nap?

Firm pressure or the lightest pressure possible while still holding the towel to the surface?

There just seems to be so many variables and it would be beneficial for me to understand what is actually going on so I can better problem solve in the future.

Mike Phillips
04-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Could be.

For what it's worth, when I've run into crazy soft paint that scratches if you simply look at it, I'll use a one-step cleaner/wax to avoid scratching the paint during the wipe-off but it has to be a very light cleaner/wax with little to no cutting ability.

Wax is a type of dry lubricant. Did you ever see kids using wax paper to wax a steel slide in the park before riding down the slide?

The idea being to apply the cleaner/wax, allow it to dry and then carefully wipe it off.

Just depends on what you're doing.... most important thing however is to make sure the towel is clean and folded 4-ways.

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
04-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I tired several different towels and it didn't seem to make a difference until I added ONR.

Well I'm not sure what is causing the marring. When I applied OPT Car Wax with the same towel that was causing marring when removing the AIOs and polish I didn't have this micro-marring.

Firm pressure or the lightest pressure possible while still holding the towel to the surface?

There just seems to be so many variables and it would be beneficial for me to understand what is actually going on so I can better problem solve in the future.

Could be.

For what it's worth, when I've run into crazy soft paint that scratches if you simply look at it, I'll use a one-step cleaner/wax to avoid scratching the paint during the wipe-off but it has to be a very light cleaner/wax with little to no cutting ability.

Wax is a type of dry lubricant. Did you ever see kids using wax paper to wax a steel slide in the park before riding down the slide?

The idea being to apply the cleaner/wax, allow it to dry and then carefully wipe it off.

Just depends on what you're doing.... most important thing however is to make sure the towel is clean and folded 4-ways.

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html)

Okay, Thanks Mike, that does help.

BillE
04-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Totally off topic: Ahhh, the memories!

Bill