PDA

View Full Version : Full Detail in one day? Is it possible

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SL%%
04-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Friends, my friend told me that it is possible to do a full interior/exterior and it's done in the US.

Am from Philippines so its kind of different and anyone here who've done that, kindly shed light on how you do it... Thanks....

btw, how do you deal with degriming? I mean is there a faster way of removing stubborn grime like the ones found on model name, logo etc?

Also in claying, what's the best possible method to remove heavy contaminants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flash Gordon
04-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Yes it is possible. I do it daily. One way to speed up the process is to hire help

Being from the Philippines should not cause this process to take any longer then it does anywhere else

The fastest/easiest way to remove heavy contaminants would be to wetsand

SL%%
04-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Flash Gordon, wow great can you share on how you do it and how many help you have? how do you do the attack plan? meaning, do you do the exterior while the other do the interior?

What grit do you use? 2,000 grit wet sand

Your experience on how you do this is highly appreciated...

BobbyG
04-07-2014, 06:46 AM
On average, most full details are completed in one day...That said, it mostly depends on the extent or depth of the detail AND the condition of the vehicle when it arrives.

These are the basic steps in order:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

First set your goals and expectations accordingly. "Perfect" is an ever elusive term and only can be found in the eye of the beholder.

Wash thoroughly using a quality car wash to remove all soluble contaminates.

Clay each panel to remove any embedded particulates that will break loose during the polishing stage. Use plenty of clay lubricant and a straight line motion when claying. Periodically look at the clay to determine when it's time to fold it in revealing a fresh section before continuing.

From Mike Phillips

Using Detailing Clay

Baggie Test Tip from Paul aka 2old2change (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/56813-baggie-test-tip-paul-aka-2old2change.html)

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

The 3 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/27969-3-primary-benefits-using-detailing-clay-clay-paint.html)

Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20259-tips-techniques-using-detailing-clay.html)

[/URL]1-Step or Full Correction

All-in-ones or [URL="http://www.autogeek.net/all-in-one-cleaner-wax.html"]1-Step (http://www.autogeek.net/all-in-one-cleaner-wax.html) products do a nice job at removing oxidation, grime, and minor surface defects. The latest products do a damn nice job and leave some protection behind.

Compounding and Polishing are the purest way of turning an ordinary finish to a glass-like shine. There is really no comparison between the two but your goal and satisfaction will dictate your approach..

What I've found through the years is most customers are very satisfied with the results from a cleaner / polish. These products work very well removing oxidation, stains, embedded grime etc. revealing a fresh vibrant finish.

Detailing an interior can be challenging and the final results can be breathtaking if you have the right tools, chemicals, and treatments.

If the car is a real mess, but salvageable, I've spent 5 to 6 hours on the exterior and 4 or so hours on the interior. Then of course there's the engine compartment and the trunk....

The actual shape of the vehicle, ultimate goal, your skill level, and the products & tools you have available really determine the length of time and the final results...

mac11wildcat
04-07-2014, 07:17 AM
We do full details in a day regularly. We actually completed two in a day this weekend totalling about 36 hrs of man-time split between the vehicles. Get the car washed and prepped, create a plan, and go.

A full detail/correction on a car thats driven and not garaged/left to sit will take a significant amount of time. It may not be possible for one person to properly complete a vehicle in a day. Always stay in the mind-frame of results over volume, and then slowly work on your efficiency.

Flash Gordon
04-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Flash Gordon, wow great can you share on how you do it and how many help you have? how do you do the attack plan? meaning, do you do the exterior while the other do the interior?

I typically have no help. I prefer doing this by myself

My process is the same on every vehicle. First thing I do (if needed) is clean the carpets/upholstery to give them time to dry. I then move to the wash process. This of course includes door jams wheels/fenderwells, doorjams and engine (if requested) and claying. This process typically takes me 2 hours. I then move to the interior (TO GET IT OVER WITH) before moving to the polishing stage(s)

Under most circumstances you should be able to remove contaminents using a claybar. If you are dealing with heavy overspray or heavy fallout 2,000 grit is a perfect grade (and a more efficient way) You also can go straight to polishing after using this grade

Practice will help you more then anything I could write

On average, most full details are completed in one day...That said, it mostly depends on the extent or depth of the detail AND the condition of the vehicle when it arrives.

:iagree:

If you are dealing for the general public they are not going to want to hear (or understand) that it will take a week to detail their car. In most cases the job will need to be completed in 8 hours or less

Kitoy22
04-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi SL, doing a full detail in one day will really depend on the vehicle size, condition of the vehicle and the level of improvement the customer wants. And also consider the tools that you will be using, are they capable of speeding up your process? We recently done a full detail on a mitsubishi advventure, meaning we did the paint, windows, interior (seats removed) and engine, this took us roughly 3 days with 2 guys consistently working on it. Paint was heavily covered with water spots that some areas needed more polishing time, crevices were also full of mineralized dirt, which took a lot of time getting it cleaned. In short there are a lot of factors concerning time to detail a vehicle. Whats important is you don't over promise and just commit what you think you can do effectively in a day.

jimd@mothers
04-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Herbert,

We would not recommend wet sanding as a replacement for claying for removal normal contamination of dirt, fallout, pollens, etc.; maybe for severe paint overspray, but that would be very rare.

999 times out of 1000, claying will remove common contaminants in one step without harming the paint. Then a cleaner wax or light polish and wax should be all you need to finish, unless the paint has deeper issues that need correction.

In a detail shop, time is money, as you don't normally charge by the hour.

Good luck!

Jim D.

mac11wildcat
04-07-2014, 11:41 AM
^This. Wouldnt wet sand unless needed. If we do that kind of work its usually with the expectation that the price needs to be higher due to the number of steps and amount of time it takes.

Wet sanding should be a last resort; use the least invasive and damaging process possible to obtain the desired result.

215Detailing
04-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Hard subject to reply we should start by SEPARATING the compound/polishing (PAINT CORRECTION) from a wax job or AIO of (DETAILING) Question: Do you need full paint correction or just a detailing? | Ask a Pro Blog (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/question-do-you-need-full-paint-correction-or-just-a-detailing/)

FUNX650
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Probably:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76337-high-quality-production-detailing-mike-phillips.html

Bob

SL%%
04-07-2014, 09:59 PM

These are the basic steps in order:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

First set your goals and expectations accordingly. "Perfect" is an ever elusive term and only can be found in the eye of the beholder.

Wash thoroughly using a quality car wash to remove all soluble contaminates.

Clay each panel to remove any embedded particulates that will break loose during the polishing stage. Use plenty of clay lubricant and a straight line motion when claying. Periodically look at the clay to determine when it's time to fold it in revealing a fresh section before continuing.

From Mike Phillips

Using Detailing Clay

Baggie Test Tip from Paul aka 2old2change (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/56813-baggie-test-tip-paul-aka-2old2change.html)

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

The 3 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/27969-3-primary-benefits-using-detailing-clay-clay-paint.html)

Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20259-tips-techniques-using-detailing-clay.html)

1-Step or Full Correction

All-in-ones or 1-Step (http://www.autogeek.net/all-in-one-cleaner-wax.html) products do a nice job at removing oxidation, grime, and minor surface defects. The latest products do a damn nice job and leave some protection behind.

Compounding and Polishing are the purest way of turning an ordinary finish to a glass-like shine. There is really no comparison between the two but your goal and satisfaction will dictate your approach..

What I've found through the years is most customers are very satisfied with the results from a cleaner / polish. These products work very well removing oxidation, stains, embedded grime etc. revealing a fresh vibrant finish.

Detailing an interior can be challenging and the final results can be breathtaking if you have the right tools, chemicals, and treatments.

If the car is a real mess, but salvageable, I've spent 5 to 6 hours on the exterior and 4 or so hours on the interior. Then of course there's the engine compartment and the trunk....

The actual shape of the vehicle, ultimate goal, your skill level, and the products & tools you have available really determine the length of time and the final results...

BobbyG,

Thank you so much for this but may I ask some questions if you don't mind...

let's use a daily driven average Honda Civic car that goes through a carwash as an example.

1.) how long do you take to clay such example? an hour?

2.) "If the car is a real mess, but salvageable, I've spent 5 to 6 hours on the exterior and 4 or so hours on the interior. Then of course there's the engine compartment and the trunk...." so this is a full detail meaning with corrections (3-Steps) on the paint as well?

Calendyr
04-08-2014, 02:26 AM
I would say it depends on your expertise and Equipment.

For me, doing a full interior/exterior is a minimum of 8 hours but most of the time it takes 10-12 hours. I am talking about:

- 8 Step wash for the exterior (Power rinse, shampoo, power rinse, wash, rinse, Wheel wash, rims wash, dry)

- Full interior (Interior wipedown, vacuuming, carpet and seat shampoo, interior cleaning, interior dressing, seat protection for fabric or conditionner for leather), Windows and Mirror cleaning.

- Paint decontamination
- Paint polishing (1 step)
- Paint sealant (powerlock most of the time)

That's a full day's work for me, I am sure some people could do it fast because they have more experience and some others because they use a rotary polisher instead of a DA like I do.

Also I am 43 so if someone with my experience and Tools was 20 they would very likelly be a lot quicker too.

So it's a lot of factors. But yes it is possible.

SL%%
04-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Calendyr,

Thanks so much for sharing your procedure, some questions though:

On the paint decontamination, you mean to say claying the car?

On the Paint Polishing (1 step), no need for compounding? So straight to polishing or this depends on the damage on the paint.

SL%%
04-08-2014, 02:47 AM
Calendyr,

Also, do you do this alone or you have help with you?

Thanks