PDA

View Full Version : Best Paint Coating (looking for opinions)

woopigsooie
04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey guys, I have been reading about the wonders of paint coatings for months now and I am ready to try them out myself! From what I have read the main coatings everyone talks about are Opti Coat and Cquartz UK. I understand that OC is a permanent coating so its not really a fair comparison in terms of durability.

There are three main categories I am looking for in a coating:

1. Ease of application

2. Water beading/sheeting

3. Cost effectiveness

Any and every opinion is welcomed, as well as any advice for the application of a coating!

Feed back please

nubaseal
04-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Opti coat is said to be the most durable in terms of mar resistance. CQuartz seems to have better water behavior. Not sure if Artdeshine coatings are available where you are but they have some very interesting coatings that are very popular in Europe right now. Max Protect UNC-R is the only rubber based coating that I am aware of, as against all the glass coatings.

nezff
04-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Gtechniq Exo and Lacquer
Cquartz UK more gloss
Black Label paint coating
DP paint coating
22ple

brondondolon
04-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I did a TON of research on paint coatings over the past 3 months. I finally bought some and im applying it tomorrow. Its my first time doing a paint coating. My favorite was Modesta BC-03 but i guess its not available to the united states or it was really expencive i forget which one. My second was 22ple but some one told me Cquartz UK will give the same results for half the price. So i went with Cquartz UK.

On top of that i ordered if from CarPro and i have to say ive never had a better experience ordering from a website in my life. Corey at carpro has to be one of the best people to order from and i mean that. He gave me all kinds of hook ups. If you have any questions go on their site and email him.

Ill be posting my truck in the show and shine section on wed or thurs. So if you want to see a before and after on a metallic black truck look in that section on those days.

Good luck :)

FUNX650
04-06-2014, 10:26 PM
IMHO:
Cure-time is one of the most overlooked,
and important categories regarding Coatings.

Whichever one you ultimately choose:
I'll suggest that you have arrangements made whereas your vehicle will not be exposed to the elements, or other chance circumstances of contamination, during the chosen Coating's designated/recommended cure-time.

To do otherwise will leave the Coating...and its inherent characteristics...
quite vulnerable to being compromised.

Bob

woopigsooie
04-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Ill be posting my truck in the show and shine section on wed or thurs. So if you want to see a before and after on a metallic black truck look in that section on those days.

Looking forward to it!

IMHO:
Cure-time is one of the most overlooked,
and important categories regarding Coatings.

Whichever one you ultimately choose:
I'll suggest that you have arrangements made whereas your vehicle will not be exposed to the elements, or other chance circumstances of contamination, during the chosen Coating's designated/recommended cure-time.

To do otherwise will leave the Coating...and its inherent characteristics...
quite vulnerable to being compromised.

Bob

I am waiting till the summer when I can set aside a week or so where I can just keep it in the garage. Hopefully earlier in the summer so the temperatures will be more favorable for application. In the middle of the summer here in Central Arkansas we are usually in the 90's and sometimes in the 100's. I understand heat helps the curing time but in high hear is this still true?

MarkD51
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
I did a TON of research on paint coatings over the past 3 months. I finally bought some and im applying it tomorrow. Its my first time doing a paint coating. My favorite was Modesta BC-03 but i guess its not available to the united states or it was really expencive i forget which one. My second was 22ple but some one told me Cquartz UK will give the same results for half the price. So i went with Cquartz UK.

On top of that i ordered if from CarPro and i have to say ive never had a better experience ordering from a website in my life. Corey at carpro has to be one of the best people to order from and i mean that. He gave me all kinds of hook ups. If you have any questions go on their site and email him.

Good luck :)

Will be keeping my eyes peeled for your follow-up, and comments.

silverfox
04-07-2014, 03:42 AM
I think the durability claims regarding coatings is more marketing hype practically speaking. Being the great sacrificial barrier, coatings will become just as exposed and vulnerable to everyday environmental and human damage as the clear coat they protect, so I'm willing to bet that most if not all coatings get polished off and reapplied long before they chemically expire. So the durability claims in my opinion should be researched by buyers in terms of hardness and scratch resistance...and not how "long they claim to last". Cars don't live in a laboratory, protected environment.

To me coating selection comes down to two things: ease of application, and resistance to environmental and human damage.

woopigsooie
04-07-2014, 09:20 AM
To me coating selection comes down to two things: ease of application, and resistance to environmental and human damage.

So with those two characteristics, which coating would you recommend? I have watched lots of coatings applied on youtube and here on AG but never tried it so I assume I can handle it but the easier to apply, the better.

jem7sk
04-07-2014, 09:29 AM
:xyxthumbs:
Looking forward to it!

I am waiting till the summer when I can set aside a week or so where I can just keep it in the garage. Hopefully earlier in the summer so the temperatures will be more favorable for application. In the middle of the summer here in Central Arkansas we are usually in the 90's and sometimes in the 100's. I understand heat helps the curing time but in high hear is this still true?

I grew up in N. Little Rock. Hate the weather there. Summers are so hot and humid there... I can say that even with living in florida for the past 18 years. Central AR. might be the most hot and humid state in America. And the winters are cold and Rainey! Get out while you can ;)

I do love the month of October there though :)

woopigsooie
04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
:xyxthumbs:

I grew up in N. Little Rock. Hate the weather there. Summers are so hot and humid there... I can say that even with living in florida for the past 18 years. Central AR. might be the most hot and humid state in America. And the winters are cold and Rainey! Get out while you can ;)

I do love the month of October there though :)

The weather is so unpredictable! Haha, it is winter one day, then blazing summer the next. Gorgeous in the fall though.

FUNX650
04-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I am waiting till the summer when I can set aside a week or so where I can just keep it in the garage.

I understand heat helps the curing time but in high hear is this still true?
Some Coatings' cure-times are a little longer than a week.
Choose wisely, if you can only spare a week.

I think the saying is:
"It's not the heat...It's the humidity"!

Bob

jem7sk
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Gorgeous in the fall though.

Yep, October ;)

Some of the prettiest natural scenery though as the pic you posted shows.

HD.Detailing
04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
22ple vx1 pro

Klasse Act
04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Since cost effictiveness is a part of your criteria not sure how DP and DG can be overlooked!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online