PDA

View Full Version : Window work

Grifffx4
04-06-2014, 03:57 PM
First off, let me say I'm a detailing greenhorn. Today I used my Griots DAP for the first time...

I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Speed Sponge before I used Detailer's High Performance Glass Restorer on my trucks exterior glass and windshield with orange 5.5 Hydrotech pad, speed set on 4.

As a clay lube, I used UWW+ because the recommended Nanoskin Glide is sold out. Per direction the UWW+ can be used as a clay lube. I love the NASS! So much easier than clay. However...

My question: Regarding using too much clay lube, I read if you use too much clay lube it will just skim over BC's and not pull it off. Using the UWW+ I seemed to have this issue. Even when I just slightly misted the work section. The BC I was trying to remove was mostly tree sap. The sap just seemed to smear a bit but only when the surface was almost dry of lube did it remove it with some scrubbing. Does this sound right? Should I have used something else to get the sap off before using the NASS?

Next question: Regarding the Detailer's High Performance Glass Restorer with my DAP, it seemed tough to buff off with my Cobra Lavender MFT. Yet when I did a few extra passes the polish seemed to start to disappear and I was afraid I was dry buffing but after it was much easier to buff off with the MFT. So I'm confused. I tried doing the swipe test and it smeared originally but there was virtually nothing to swipe after the extra passes.

Finally, the glass looks great now but still not perfectly smooth using the ziplock bag test.

ken tuep
04-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Tree sap usually requires something a little stronger. Rubbing alcohol, hand Sanitizer, apc, or a dedicated sap remover have all worked for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

inDetail
04-06-2014, 04:35 PM
try goo gone and a plastic razor blade so you don't scratch the glass

HD.Detailing
04-06-2014, 05:25 PM
razor blade will work fine.. hold at 45 degree angle and use lube