PDA

View Full Version : Can I simply do a "touchless" wash with an Opti-coated car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kbreeze
04-05-2014, 04:09 PM
My car was professionally Opti-coated and I am debating picking up a power washer and foam cannon and basically, skipping any 2-bucket mitt washing and simply doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_-X-F0OXA

If you don't want to watch the video, he basically does this:

Foams car with CG Honey Dew
Waits 3-5 mins
Rinses car off with pressure washer with 40-dgree nozzle.

The pressure washer I was looking at getting as not as powerful as the one in the video though. I was going to get the Electric Sun Joe SPX3000 on Amazon:
http://smile.amazon.com/Joe-SPX3000-Electric-Pressure-14-5-Amp/dp/B00CPGMUXW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396731894&sr=8-3&keywords=pressure+washer
And possibly this foam lance:
Amazon.com: Professional Foam Lance Adjustable with 32 oz. Bottle: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://smile.amazon.com/Professional-Foam-Lance-Adjustable-Bottle/dp/B004GNZYY4/ref=pd_sim_lg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WMSQVDMAT6YKGSYW45P)

Get I get away with this, or should you I really still be using a mitt? For the record I have new Griots mitts and my 2 buckets. I am just wondering if I can forego this step, particularly being that my car is opti-coated.

I also have an electric blower to dry the car, so if so, the car would never be touched by anything other then water and soap, ensuring no fine scratches or swirls, which is my main goal.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

BlackHawk
04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
The answer is.....NO. Plain and simple.

Kbreeze
04-05-2014, 04:35 PM
The answer is.....NO. Plain and simple.

The Opti-coating is supposed to be a lot slicker then regular clear coat and release contaminants much easier. That combined with letting the foam sit and break up the dirt and film, combined with a high pressure rinse won't clean the car?

It seemed to work for the guy in this video and I am guessing his car is not opti-coated.

tuscarora dave
04-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Sure you can do that, anyone could. Now if you have high expectations of keeping a fine, swirl or marring free finish, that touchless regimen wouldn't be a great idea if you plan on touching it to dry the car, as there will be a slight film left behind.

My personal car has so many paint defects that all I care about is clean and shiny when I wash it. My car is also a lighter color so you really don't see all of it's defects from 5 feet away.

Often I go months without washing my car and people think it was recently washed. That's because the Opti-Coat 2.0 allows the rain to keep the car fairly clean.

mcochris
04-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Second that no. My car is Opti-Coated but still requires hand washing. Not a fault of Opti-Coat. You may want to try Carpro reload over the Opti-Coat and see if that let you get away with a touchless wash.

Kbreeze
04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Sure you can do that, anyone could. Now if you have high expectations of keeping a fine, swirl or marring free finish, that touchless regimen wouldn't be a great idea if you plan on touching it to dry the car, as there will be a slight film left behind.

No, I would be using an electric leaf blower.

Often I go months without washing my car and people think it was recently washed. That's because the Opti-Coat 2.0 allows the rain to keep the car fairly clean.
Lol, I hear you man, I have not washed my car all winter (in about 4 months) and people still say it's shiny. And it's a black car and that includes driving it in the snow and with getting salt caked on the car. And yes, I drive my 5.0 in the snow :)

tuscarora dave
04-05-2014, 04:57 PM
No, I would be using an electric leaf blower.
I think if you're not too fussy about a slight film left behind, it's doable. Depends on what you've been driving in I guess. If you did this touchless wash often, and you hadn't been driving in the rain, you might could get away with it. Only one real way to find out...right?

And yes, I drive my 5.0 in the snow :)
My Dad drives his 1988 Trans-Am in a 2 foot snow blizzard...He was born in 1940 so he's got mad driving skills.

FUNX650
04-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Removal of that road film usually takes more than a foaming/pressure/washing treatment.

Bob

Kamakaz1961
04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Foam gun, 2-bucket grit guard wash...no other way to keep it clean. Caked on dirt will not be removed no matter how hard the water pressure is. You need to use a mitt or MF towel to remove it from the method I just mentioned.

KillaCam
04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
If you really enjoy claying a lot then yes, that will work just fine.

Kbreeze
04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Removal of that road film usually takes more than a foaming/pressure/washing treatment.

Bob

Foam gun, 2-bucket grit guard wash...no other way to keep it clean. Caked on dirt will not be removed no matter how hard the water pressure is. You need to use a mitt or MF towel to remove it from the method I just mentioned.

Ok, well now I am wondering if I should just keep the Gilmour foam gun I bought, and pass up the more expensive Pressure washer/lance option.

FUNX650
04-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Ok, well now I am wondering if I should just keep the Gilmour foam gun I bought, and pass up the more expensive Pressure washer/lance option.
Pressure washers can be used for too many detailing tasks to discard the idea of owning one.
Plenty of around the house uses as well!

"Foaming" is not one of the tasks I even considered,
before I purchased mine. Still isn't!

If you have the money for one...
get it while the getting is good!!

Bob

Kamakaz1961
04-05-2014, 06:49 PM

I would pass on the pressure washer...that is just me.....and you will probably have some people on this thread say a foam gun is not needed. IMO a foam gun is a must have in any car wash....PERIOD.

The 2-Bucket Grit guard in both buckets too. You will have some people disagree about 2 grit guards. But again that is just my technique. Better be safe than sorry. After polishing my car (clay bar, compound polish, polish, prep, sealant and wax, etc.) I have used the foam gun 2-bucket Grit guard method when my car has caked on dirt and till this day I have very little (or unnoticeable scratches). I wash my car about 1 time a week.

I have 4 different MF mitts too. 1 for the wheels (with boars hair brush for lug nuts), 2nd for wheel wells, 3rd for top half of car and 4th for bottom half. Like I said I am real anal!!....LOL BTW, I enjoy washing or for that matter detailing cars. It is my fun hobby and stress relief. I always start 1st with the wheels and wheel well and then the rest of the car. Again, that is just my technique and some might agree or disagree.
:buffing:

Kbreeze
04-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Pressure washers can be used for too many detailing tasks to discard the idea of owning one.
Plenty of around the house uses as well!

"Foaming" is not one of the tasks I even considered,
before I purchased mine. Still isn't!

If you have the money for one...
get it while the getting is good!!

Bob

Why don't you foam? I've never done it yet, but from what I've seen and read I think it's a brilliant way to rid the vehicle of dirt particles, which could otherwise scratch the paint, before applying a wash mitt. Also, it just kind of pre-soaks, loosens and lubricates everything. Seems like a great first step.

tuscarora dave
04-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I would pass on the pressure washer...that is just me.....and you will probably have some people on this thread say a foam gun is not needed. IMO a foam gun is a must have in any car wash....PERIOD.

The 2-Bucket Grit guard in both buckets too. You will have some people disagree about 2 grit guards. But again that is just my technique. Better be safe than sorry. After polishing my car (clay bar, compound polish, polish, prep, sealant and wax, etc.) I have used the foam gun 2-bucket Grit guard method when my car has caked on dirt and till this day I have very little (or unnoticeable scratches). I wash my car about 1 time a week.

I have 4 different MF mitts too. 1 for the wheels (with boars hair brush for lug nuts), 2nd for wheel wells, 3rd for top half of car and 4th for bottom half. Like I said I am real anal!!....LOL BTW, I enjoy washing or for that matter detailing cars. It is my fun hobby and stress relief. I always start 1st with the wheels and wheel well and then the rest of the car. Again, that is just my technique and some might agree or disagree.
:buffing:

Sounds like you have a very well thought out proven wash technique. If I owned a black car I'd probably want to be similarly anal about my car care procedures.