PDA

View Full Version : 1980 z28 single stage restore have a few questions

wompasaurus
04-04-2014, 09:12 PM
So I have a family owned 1980 z28 that is being restored for my cousin as his graduation present. The paint is single stage. I've never worked on single stage be for but have scoured the forums for information for months. Im going to be starting the vehicle tomorrow. It has mild swirls and lots of ride and of course oxidation. I purchased 3 bottles of megs #07 to moisturize the paint as what was outlined in a thread by mike on single stage paint. But I have a few questions on the process. This is the thread linkhttp://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html now it states leaving it sit for a 12 hour period is better and I plan to do this. Now when I apply it after waterless wash and laying I apply and let sit or apply wipe off apply another coat and let the second coat sit? Any tips single stage veterans can give me would be greatly appreciated I can email pics to anyone interested I'd post them here but my computer is down for the count. If color matters its a dark blue color. That's is in advance autogeeks. Email incase you want to reach me faster is intricatemobile@gmail.com Feed back please

jamesboyy
04-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I would just apply one thin layer on the paintwork and leave it be for 12 hours

wompasaurus
04-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Another question I'm assuming I'm still going to have defects to deal with after megs #07 the lightest compounds I have are megs 205 and chemical guys v36 not sure if v36 is single stage safe but I know 205 is. Is there a lighter compound I can get locally as I want to start as gentle as possible but the car has to be done by Tuesday for graduation pictures so I'm kind of in a pinch

jamesboyy
04-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes chemical guys v36 is safe for single stage paint but the way I would go about this is use meguiars m205 first see what it removes then if not happy or want a little more improvement then go for chemical guys v36 then after that leave the paint be cause its delicate as is already the reason I suggested this method cause m205 has a lighter cut than v36 therefore you want to go from the least aggressive to aggressive

wompasaurus
04-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Ahh I've done side by side with v36 vs 205 and got better cut from 205 thanks for the info really appreciate it.

dcjredline
04-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Most polishes and compounds are fine for SS paint. The only difference between SS and BC CC is that the pad will not have color on it from CC but will from a SS. They are both paint and what will work on one will work on the other.

AC in OC
04-05-2014, 12:27 AM
I did the same project last summer, just a different car. I worked on the guards red '65 Porsche that was heavily oxidized, if you happened to see that during your research. With that I applied #7 heavily on the 1st coat, took a break to let it sit, because you have to really rub it in if you have oxidation, then wiped off the excess. Took another break. Then apply another coat to set overnight.

The next morning, I wiped off the excess, then moved on to the polish. So for you, go over the car w/ your m205 section by section. Once it looks great apply one last thin coat of #7 and buff off to a beautiful shine. Lastly apply a wax or sealant.

Most importantly, take a ton of pictures - especially before shots. We all love to see an extreme makeover.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online

wompasaurus
04-05-2014, 01:17 AM
I did the same project last summer, just a different car. I worked on the guards red '65 Porsche that was heavily oxidized, if you happened to see that during your research. With that I applied #7 heavily on the 1st coat, took a break to let it sit, because you have to really rub it in if you have oxidation, then wiped off the excess. Took another break. Then apply another coat to set overnight.

The next morning, I wiped off the excess, then moved on to the polish. So for you, go over the car w/ your m205 section by section. Once it looks great apply one last thin coat of #7 and buff off to a beautiful shine. Lastly apply a wax or sealant.

Most importantly, take a ton of pictures - especially before shots. We all love to see an extreme makeover.

Thanks a lot for cleaning that up for me. This car was my uncles pride and joy before he passed and I want to do the best I can to save the original paint and make it look the best I can for my cousin as I'm sure it will never leave the family. Ill be sure to take a lot of pictures for everyone.

wompasaurus
04-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Sorry to spam bump but will I be able to reuse my pads after them being covered in rub off or will I need to trash them. Just curious

AC in OC
04-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Yes, you can still use them. They'll just need a long soak in the pad solution and a lengthy scrubbing. Can't say the same for the terry cloth towels. Those will be permanently stained, since they get saturated.

BillyJack
04-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Now when I apply it after waterless wash and laying I apply and let sit or apply wipe off apply another coat and let the second coat sit? Any tips single stage veterans can give me would be greatly appreciated I can email pics to anyone interested I'd post them here but my computer is down for the count. If color matters its a dark blue color. That's is in advance autogeeks. Email incase you want to reach me faster is intricatemobile@gmail.com Feed back please
I've done Mike's process a number of times, mostly on my El Camino.
After you do your washing, first do a thorough claying before any polishing. Then apply your M07 with some "passion" as Mike says, keeping your towel fed with fresh product and leave it set at least overnight. Go back with another M07 rub, which will help to remove the film left from the first app. I've done as many as 4 apps of M07, but it's not really necessary to go that far. Once you remove it, now's the time to assess the finish and decide how aggressive of a product to use next. After you're done with your polishing or compounding, I like to do one final light rub with M07, this time using a microfiber towel, before my final waxing. The last pass with M07 will serve to ramp up the gloss, even after polishing. You may find you're ready for pictures even before you apply any wax, but the gloss won't last past the first wash job. The wax just protects and preserves the gloss you've been able to achieve from your previous steps.

Bill