PDA

View Full Version : Confused on LC Polish Pads???

PeterPistol
04-04-2014, 07:50 PM
So I purchased the Griots club kit 6 & 3" polishers and also purchased the 4 step polish. I also got 2 of every color pads.
My truck is a 14 silverado red. I will start with the 4th step first the truck has few scratches no swirls in the paint. Plan on polishing, sealant and waxing just confused which pads to use.

Docpeanut
04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Which color pads did you get and what are they (ccs, flat, hybrid, hydrotech etc)

PeterPistol
04-04-2014, 08:08 PM
They are ccs 2 red 2 orange 2 black 2 white 2 gold 2 blue2 green sorry its my first time using a polisher!

Docpeanut
04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
No need to apologize, we all started at the same spot at one point.

Orange, white, blue, red, black, green, gold. That's the list from most aggressive to least aggressive. Most likely you'll want to use white and blue/red/black/green (they're all very very similar in cut)

PeterPistol
04-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks

Docpeanut
04-04-2014, 09:04 PM
No prob

Radarryan
04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
No need to apologize, we all started at the same spot at one point.

Orange, white, blue, red, black, green, gold. That's the list from most aggressive to least aggressive. Most likely you'll want to use white and blue/red/black/green (they're all very very similar in cut)

For CCS pads, Green is more similar to White, and usually used when doing a one-step or applying a cleaner/wax. I believe it should be revised to:

Orange/White/Green/Black/Blue/Red/Gold

Usually I used orange for cutting, white/green for polishing, black for a finishing polish (when a zero cut pad is needed), blue for glazes and red for waxes. Really blue and red are pretty close to interchangeable and most have one or the other. I, like you, have both so that's how I use them. Gold is their "jeweling foam" which I have not used. Many would say you need a rotary polisher for that application, so do a little research but you may not end up using that color.

I recently changed to HydroTech pads which I much prefer, so you'll have to see how you like the CCS pads. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy detailing!

Tato
04-05-2014, 01:05 AM
When deciding which way to start, doing a test spot is the first thing that comes in mind.

That's what I call 'asking the paint'. When you use a polishing pad (mainly white from LC) and a finishing polish, you will get valuable answer in return.

If you remove defects using this setup, you will know defects were not severe as they look, or the paint is soft and will be easy to correct.

If you don't remove defects, you'll find out that you need to step up.

To step up, again, analyze the answer paint gave to you. If you barely removed defects, maybe you should step up product or even pad.

If your polishing (white + finishing pad) haven't even touched defects, it's time for orange pad and medium cut polish / compound.

If you almost removed defects, maybe stepping up product (maybe a cutting polish or compound) on same pad (polishing pad) may solve things out.

That's the way to decide.

Gold Pad is my favorite for carnauba wax, and I use red mainly for sealants. Nothing special here, just personal preference.

Carnaubas I use are generally non cleaning waxes, I like to use the most soft pad available (the gold) to ensure I'm spreading a thin layer just over my sealant or coating without any pick on it.

You may also search for 5" backing plate and pads for that machine, ...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/48668-5-inch-backing-plates-meguiar-s-griot-s-porter-cable-da-polishers.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.