PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys "steam" clean carpets?

acv987
04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
I work for a janitorial supply company and can get a good extractor for a good price. I have been reading that alot of you are using steamers to clean carpet. How does this work exactly? What is the process? Are you steaming a section then wiping it down? Or are you steaming and then vacuuming the carpet? Trying to decide if maybe I should go for the steamer instead since there are so many other things it can be used for.

BulldogAuto
04-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Good question! I am in the market for a new shampooer but if I can get buy with a steamer I would rather do that. Subscribing.

GettingStarted
04-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Scrubbing the carpet with the steamer to "open" it up and then using your fabric cleaner of choice to work it into the carpet and blotting the excess moisture with a microfiber or terry cloth, then following it up with a vacuum.

SATracker
04-05-2014, 09:47 AM
At AutoGeek's, "Detailfest", Jason Rose, from Meguiar's gave a great demonstration on cleaning stain removal; it's available on this forum:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2014-autogeek-detailfest/77172-official-2014-detail-fest-live-feed-conversation-thread.html

I use a steamer with the attachment wrapped in a towel and I use my steamer to clean wheels.

tuscarora dave
04-05-2014, 10:49 AM
A lot of cleaners can be activated to a whole new level of cleaning when heated with steam. I personally only use steam on carpets to activate the cleaner on more stubborn stains or caked on material to soften it to dislodge it from the carpet fibers.

So for me it's spray cleaner, agitate, activate with steam then vacuum or blow dry with compressed air.

When dealing with red stains or yellow mustard stains, nothing beats "Red Out" activated with steam.

BulldogAuto
04-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Any recommendations on a steamer?

statusdetailing
04-07-2014, 12:19 AM
vx5000 or vapormaster 3000 (same machine)