PDA

View Full Version : Paint correction and coating new plan

Mikas46
04-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Hi everybody! I'm enjoining AGO forum for almost a year, checking forum couple of times a day(maybe more), you guys-rock.
After brutal winter in New York spring slowly coming. It's time to do some detailing. Have Acura 2012 MDX w/ dark cherry color-see a lot of swirls on the sun. Planning to do paint correction and coating after that. Car parking on driveway 24/7 no garage and driving on weekends from NY to Poconos PA(Second home), where i planing to do my detailing. Because i'm not a professional and like to work on my own car, with PC 7424XP and LC pads, I'm planing to polish with Meg's UP and maybe compound with Meg's UC if needed. I only can work on my car on weekends and would never finish correcting and coating my SUV on one weekend i have 3 different plans:
Plan#1
Wash, Clay, Polish or Compound and Polish, DP Coating Prep Polish and then Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating but only a couple of panels like roof and maybe hood if have enough time and rest next weekend and so on
Plan#2
Wash, Clay, Polish or Compound and Polish as much as i can and continue to polish next weekend until i finish all car and then DP Coating Prep Polish and Coating-if with this plan do i need some protection on my paint after polishing and before i can able to do coating?
Plan#3
Wait until vacation some time in July and do everything one time-if with this plan- do right now: wash, clay and do some sealant until time for paint polish. Already have Meq's ULW and OCW i can use those or maybe you recommend me something for temporary protection solution for a couple of months.
Thanks in advance and sorry for long post.

CDot
04-04-2014, 09:35 AM
I have the same issue with my wife's Pilot, which sits outside in the driveway 24/7. With a vehicle that big, I found it prudent to break your steps up.

I like your Plan #1 or #2 depending on the time you have. I protected the car after each weekend with V7 (you can use your OCW or UQW). I didn't get to do the coating on the whole car tho; it got too cold, so I have to finish up this spring.

Write out a plan if it helps, the polishing step will take hours on a car like an MDX so splitting the panels/steps helps a lot.

poweraid
04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
if u don't have the time to complete the whole process in one shot , I'd just do the panels u can complete in a given day .

04-04-2014, 11:05 AM
If you choose to break it up, I'd suggest correction/coating of the vertical panels first as they tend to be harder...otherwise plan #3

Mikas46
04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys for reply, I'll probably wait for vacation and do everything one time