PDA

View Full Version : Steamer: New or used?

jwgreen6
04-04-2014, 08:09 AM
I have a Wagner 905 steamer which works OK for most of my detailing gigs. I'd like to get something along the lines of a VX5000 or Pro6 Duo.

Recently I've seen used VX5000's on eBay going for about $500 or so. A new VX5000 goes for $800, a Pro6 Duo is $900.

I don't detail full time -- yet -- but I'd like to get a "better" (better build quality, hotter steam, higher psi, etc.) steamer but I'm not ready to drop the hammer for a Dupray, Daimer, Vapor Chief or other professional grade steamer.

Is a used steamer worth the money or should I hold out and get a new one?

Thanks.

Jim Green, Owner
3 Rivers Detailing

pointillistic_practitioner
04-04-2014, 10:20 AM
I have a Wagner 905 steamer which works OK for most of my detailing gigs. I'd like to get something along the lines of a VX5000 or Pro6 Duo.

Recently I've seen used VX5000's on eBay going for about $500 or so. A new VX5000 goes for $800, a Pro6 Duo is $900.

I don't detail full time -- yet -- but I'd like to get a "better" (better build quality, hotter steam, higher psi, etc.) steamer but I'm not ready to drop the hammer for a Dupray, Daimer, Vapor Chief or other professional grade steamer.

Is a used steamer worth the money or should I hold out and get a new one?

Thanks.

Jim Green, Owner
3 Rivers Detailing

Like you, I detail part-time. I used to detail more for customers, but due to my university studies, I simply don't have the time anymore. In any case, last year I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't spend more than $400 on my steamer and/or extractor (I was toying between just good extractor, just a steamer, no extractor etc) In any case, I wound up with 1) a used mytee lite ii, purchased for $250, and 2) a McCulloch steamer.

All in all, the total was about $350, in my budget.... BUT I regret what I did for a couple reasons... 1) The MC steamer is horrible by my standards. I imagine the MC is similar to the Wagner performance-wise. 2) The Mytee, being used, is problematic. First the pump was iffy, which I fixed myself. THen the vac started to go ( I think it's the switch panel that needs replacing).

My point is, I rushed into everything with the budget I had, and was upset later. I would've much preferred to wait a year or so and have the money to buy a used vx5000, skip the mytee, and use the vx with my bissell LGM. Now I have a half good steamer, an extractor that needs repairs, and dont have the money to do repairs due to other expenses now. It's your decision, obviously, but it may be a better idea to wait until you can afford something under warranty...when these machines break it can be a hassle/lots of money to get them fixed. Just my $0.02!

trekkeruss
04-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't have a steamer, but if I was to buy a used one, I would want to know if it was maintained, i.e. cleaned of scale build-up on a regular basis.