PDA

View Full Version : Bring Most shine out of a white car

Fation
04-04-2014, 06:55 AM
I am detailing a C63 AMG for a friend soon. It is a white exterior. He is asking to apply Gtechnique Exo on it. Does everyone think that will bring out the best shine or should I try some other wax. The car will be featured at the NY Auto Show and he wants it shining immensely
He wants a coating but for now a wax would due as well.
Waxes I currently have:
Sonax Net Shield
Chemical guys black light (I know this is a go to for darker colors )
Chemical guys V7
Black fire Wet diamond

zmcgovern45
04-04-2014, 07:12 AM
The majority if the perceived 'shine' will come from your prep and polishing process.

The LSP will only enhance it marginally. Spend the time to properly polish and refine the finish, and it will look good regardless of what LSP you use.

Fation
04-04-2014, 07:43 AM
The majority if the perceived 'shine' will come from your prep and polishing process.

The LSP will only enhance it marginally. Spend the time to properly polish and refine the finish, and it will look good regardless of what LSP you use.
Most likely doing 205 then optimum finishing polish combo on the car. Should that be enough ?

Klasse Act
04-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Best advice right here because its TRUE!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

lawrenceSA
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Agree and to add, I have really found that decontaminating white paint contributes a significant portion of the final result (along with the polishing obviously):xyxthumbs:

zmcgovern45
04-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Most likely doing 205 then optimum finishing polish combo on the car. Should that be enough ?

I wish there was a definitive answer when someone asked "will ____ work", but only your test spot will be able to determine if those products will produce your desired results on that particular vehicle. I am not familiar with Optimum Finish Polish, but I don't know if anything would be required after M205 as it is a very good finishing polish in its own right.

Spend the time to dial in the process, and then go to work.

HateSwirls
04-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Polish using the 205
Then polish again using the Optimum Finishing Polish
A good coat of some Nuba
For added slickness hit it with some Duragloss 951

The polishing is where you'll get the most shine.

Oh, clay after washing:dblthumb2:

74 thing
04-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Def wash then decontaminate the paint with iron X or the like and then clay. Figure out what you need to polish it out (it is hard on white you may need various angles with different light sources). You may be able to use 205 with a polish pad then just switch pads to a finish pad and go over the same area to refine it before wiping and saving you time. I always like using Duragloss 501 on white-it is just a chemical cleaner but it really cleans up the paint. Then top it with whatever you like.

Velocitybts
04-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Zack has given you all you need to get it right. I am giving an example for what your customer wants. This does have a coating which enhances the gloss, but had 30 or so hours of polishing on it first. Definitely clay it with a mild clay mitt or pad or bar. Then pending the paint condition the 205 is fine to use as it finishes nicely, but I have always hit the finish again with 85rd or Rupes Diamond on a black no cut finishing pad. LIGHTLY. Then a coating or nube. For a show definitely nubs on top of a coating or just the nube. I am not familiar with the Optimum polishes. Anyway other members have given all the same advice. GTechniq would be fine also, just some of the other coatings have "sometimes" better results. Everyone has their favorite. This example has a product not sold here so cannot mention it per the rules. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/SheriffDep/IMG_4656_zpsaed26563.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/SheriffDep/media/IMG_4656_zpsaed26563.jpg.html)