PDA

View Full Version : It's there much difference in backing plates?

guy48065
04-03-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm new to DA buffing (unless you count a beastly 12" Dewalt I've been using for years). I have a PC 7335 but it's an older single - speed machine so I recently bought a Harbor Freight DA. It came wIth a 6" plate and just so I can get started ASAP I've swapped the 5" plate off my PC.
Although originally a sander it seems similar in stiffness to the polishers 6" plate. There's a lot of info on pads but I haven't got a handle on plates yet. Will the one I have be fine for now?

FUNX650
04-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Backing plates can be made from a variety of materials, like polyurethane, and reinforced nylon...
With many of them considered interchangeable between manufacturers.

However the most important factor is if the backing plate's hook&loop (Velcro) attachment system, is the correct/corresponding match with the pads' hook&loop attachment system.

Others may work together, but the best...and safest...bet, would be to use the same manufacturer for both pad and plate systems.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Um, if you have a backing plate for sanding, isn't it smooth for self-adhesive sanding discs, rather than Velcro?

guy48065
04-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Um, if you have a backing plate for sanding, isn't it smooth for self-adhesive sanding discs, rather than Velcro?

No -- Velcro has replaced PSA in woodworking too.

I have a follow up question: I've read the electric DA polishers can get hot in use. Why don't most plates have holes in them like my sanding plate -- wouldn't that cause some cooling?

FUNX650
04-04-2014, 07:54 AM
No -- Velcro has replaced PSA in woodworking too.

I have a follow up question: I've read the electric DA polishers can get hot in use. Why don't most plates have holes in them like my sanding plate -- wouldn't that cause some cooling?
Some BPs do have holes.
Some types of pads also have holes.
Some cooling may occur. YMMV.

Bob

tuscarora dave
04-04-2014, 08:27 AM
I use 3M 5" backing plates with the holes in them and they do run much cooler than those without the holes in them. I've melted down the bonded velcro backing on both Lake Country and Meguiar's backing plates from pushing too hard for too long while compounding.

These 3M plates on the other hand have held up fine during heavy handed compounding sessions. I've melted down the velcro on the center of pads while compounding with these 3M backing plates, but the heat doesn't seem to effect the 3M hook and loop material, which rather than being bonded with adhesive like other manufacturers, the hook and loop on these 3M backing plates seem to be somehow molded or built into the plate.

They are totally worth the extra money, as they are much lighter in weight and seem to be totally indestructible.

FUNX650
04-04-2014, 09:34 AM
I use 3M 5" backing plates with the holes in them and they do run much cooler than those without the holes in them. I've melted down the bonded velcro backing on both Lake Country and Meguiar's backing plates from pushing too hard for too long while compounding.

These 3M plates on the other hand have held up fine during heavy handed compounding sessions. I've melted down the velcro on the center of pads while compounding with these 3M backing plates, but the heat doesn't seem to effect the 3M hook and loop material, which rather than being bonded with adhesive like other manufacturers, the hook and loop on these 3M backing plates seem to be somehow molded or built into the plate.

They are totally worth the extra money, as they are much lighter in weight and seem to be totally indestructible.
Good information!

I'm thinking the RUPES BPs have holes.
(Can they be used on other polishers, though)

Bob

guy48065
05-28-2014, 08:58 AM
I use 3M 5" backing plates with the holes in them...Got a part number for those? They're not in the Store and looking at the 3M website I don't see a standard 5" hook/loop backing plate with holes. They do have a low-profile one (05855)--is that what you use? Durable?