PDA

View Full Version : Opti coat prep

Canada geek
04-03-2014, 09:51 PM
I've been a lurker for a while and thanks to all who have provided feedback on how they have done opti coat at home. It's helped me decide to give it a go myself but have some questions first.

1. For various reasons I don't want to machine polish the car. The car is only a few months old and paint swirls are minimal but obviously exist. What polish will yield results by hand but is also relatively non abrasive? I've used Autoglym SRP before after wet sanding but not sure what is best for this type of fix.

2. I have a scratch that is not that noticeable unless you know it is there (it is the same colour as the car). I've read any imperfections become locked in but are there any other problems to put opti coat over it?

3. I have a 3M type film that protects the trunk opening space and some of the bumper. Should I apply this before opti coat and opti coat over the top?

4. I have some side door moldings to stick on. Again, do these go on first and be opti coated over the too or opticoat the car and stick these on after, having OC'd them separately first?

:dblthumb2:

MattPersman
04-04-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm no pro but have opti coated both our cars and my 3 tool boxes for work,

1. I would do a quick polish by hand using optimum polish II, followed by ONR wash

2. No problems I see

3 and 4 I would put the items on first after tithe polish and onr to a clean surface then opticoat.

BobbyG
04-04-2014, 05:48 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

1. When working by hand it's important not to become overwhelmed with the entire task at hand. Once the car is washed and clayed, pick one panel and apply the polish as directed until you're satisfied with it's appearance.

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-polish.html)is a great product and is formulated for machine use or apply by hand.

2. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)is a clear resin coating, much like the clear coat that already exists on your vehicle. And just like your factory clear coat, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is meant to be permanent! Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to all exterior surfaces. It is not recommended for glass since improper application can affect visibility. For other exterior surfaces, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a highly effective, transparent protective coating.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to:

painted surfaces
headlights
wheels
plastic trim
bumpers
aluminum & chrome surfaces

3. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking if you should apply Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 before you apply the 3M vinyl protectant and I would say no. It's important that this film be applied to a clean and properly prepared substrate. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0can be applied to the 3M vinyl protective film but honestly, I wouldn't waste the product on it unless you find it's appearance unacceptable.

4. I would clean the finish as directed and apply your stick on moldings before you Opti-Coat.

tuscarora dave
04-04-2014, 07:10 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

1. When working by hand it's important not to become overwhelmed with the entire task at hand. Once the car is washed and clayed, pick one panel and apply the polish as directed until you're satisfied with it's appearance.

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-polish.html)is a great product and is formulated for machine use or apply by hand.

2. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)is a clear resin coating, much like the clear coat that already exists on your vehicle. And just like your factory clear coat, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is meant to be permanent! Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to all exterior surfaces. It is not recommended for glass since improper application can affect visibility. For other exterior surfaces, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a highly effective, transparent protective coating.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to:

painted surfaces
headlights
wheels
plastic trim
bumpers
aluminum & chrome surfaces

3. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking if you should apply Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 before you apply the 3M vinyl protectant and I would say no. It's important that this film be applied to a clean and properly prepared substrate. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0can be applied to the 3M vinyl protective film but honestly, I wouldn't waste the product on it unless you find it's appearance unacceptable.

4. I would clean the finish as directed and apply your stick on moldings before you Opti-Coat.

:iagree: Word for word.

I'll add that Optimum claims a synergistic compatibility between their products, so using one of their polishes like "Polish II" as was suggested might be a good way to go. I would still do a thorough bucket wash with a few ounces of degreaser added to the wash bucket in addition to car wash soap. That's just because I know 100% that this type of wash provides the surgically clean that is needed for Opti-Coat to properly bond and last.

Canada geek
04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks all. This helps a lot. I have isopropyl anyway so can use that to clean. I will defo do a panel at a time. I've gone from a convertible to an SUV so the amount of car is quite a change!

My summer rims are off at the moment so I will be able to do those first.