PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Sealant

Pages : [1] 2

Fred114
04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Hey guys, been a long since I last posted though I do continue to read here some. I apologize in advance as I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but my searches did not turn up the results. I found my 4 Star sealant/ Natty's combo that I love a few years ago so have not kept up like I should.

Anyhow, finally had to get a new car(2014 Subaru Legacy) and of course the dealer wanted me to buy their sealant. They warranty the paint from any sort of failure for 7 years. Of course I turned it down, $1400 was just too much. Next day at work some fellow Subie owners immediately told me I better get it. Think of it as an insurance policy. Both stated they had big paint failures fairly early in the life of the car. All the research I did, I never ran across anything remotely close to a paint issue. One talked to extensively said his wife also has a Legacy(Ruby Red paint. Mine is Venetian Red so not sure if formula has changed.) He said early in the life of her car they noticed paint bubbling. Took it to the dealer where they tried to buff it out, of course that did not work. So the dealer repainted it. (he had bought the sealant, the other guy at work had to pay full price.) His car is parked outside, and dealer said it was tree sap. BS. Not that quick. They also said EPA regs force a formula that is not as durable. Not sure about that.
Anyway to bring this long story to a close I have a few questions.
1. Anybody here know if Subaru has a paint issue?
2. $1400 is a lot, can I achieve what the dealer does with some of newer coatings I have read about here?
3. And if answer to 2 is yes, what is the best recommendation for someone that has not used one yet, doesn't have practice cars?(so the easiest)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bill1234
04-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey guys, been a long since I last posted though I do continue to read here some. I apologize in advance as I am sure this topic has been discussed before, but my searches did not turn up the results. I found my 4 Star sealant/ Natty's combo that I love a few years ago so have not kept up like I should.

Anyhow, finally had to get a new car(2014 Subaru Legacy) and of course the dealer wanted me to buy their sealant. They warranty the paint from any sort of failure for 7 years. Of course I turned it down, $1400 was just too much. Next day at work some fellow Subie owners immediately told me I better get it. Think of it as an insurance policy. Both stated they had big paint failures fairly early in the life of the car. All the research I did, I never ran across anything remotely close to a paint issue. One talked to extensively said his wife also has a Legacy(Ruby Red paint. Mine is Venetian Red so not sure if formula has changed.) He said early in the life of her car they noticed paint bubbling. Took it to the dealer where they tried to buff it out, of course that did not work. So the dealer repainted it. (he had bought the sealant, the other guy at work had to pay full price.) His car is parked outside, and dealer said it was tree sap. BS. Not that quick. They also said EPA regs force a formula that is not as durable. Not sure about that.
Anyway to bring this long story to a close I have a few questions.
1. Anybody here know if Subaru has a paint issue?
2. $1400 is a lot, can I achieve what the dealer does with some of newer coatings I have read about here?
3. And if answer to 2 is yes, what is the best recommendation for someone that has not used one yet, doesn't have practice cars?(so the easiest)

Thanks everyone for your help.

The dealer sealents are total bs. They are rebranded products that can be bought for 25 dollars. The fellow subie owners dont exactly know how to care for a car. Paint will fail eventually unless you add layers of sealent or wax. I use collinite 476 which is durable, but reasonable in price. You must clay first though before you apply

rolop6
04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I will agree that certain brands may have paint problems. Howeve neglect also has a big part to do with that. If your concerned buy yourself some opticoat and maintain the paint of your vehicle with a good wax. This will cost you way less than $1400!

SYMAWD
04-03-2014, 06:19 PM
You can take it to a professional detailer and get it opti-coated for much less.

I had two Subarus, both had perfect paint the whole time I had them.

spiralout462
04-03-2014, 06:43 PM
There are many "permanent/semi-permanent" paint coatings on the market today. If your intimidated by them consider the 4Star sealant you already have, or any sealant from a trusted manufacturer. If you want your paint to look good indefinitely you are in the right place! RUN, don't walk from the dealership! Don't let 'em get ya!

I wonder how well your fellow Subaru owners took care of their paint?????

Setec Astronomy
04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
If the paint is going to bubble off, no sealant, dealer-applied or not, is going to help. And if it's an "early" paint failure, the car is going to be under warranty, and the dealer is going to have to fix it, as was noted.

If you have a good regimen going, stick with it. If you want to experiment with a coating, there are many available now, all of which can be had for less than $1400, even if you go to a pro detailer and have it applied.

VP Mark
04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
1400 to apply sealant. Fellow pros we may be in the wrong business!

Seriously though, if you want long term protection apply or pay someone qualified to apply opti coat for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

cardaddy
04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
If the paint is going to bubble off, no sealant, dealer-applied or not, is going to help. And if it's an "early" paint failure, the car is going to be under warranty, and the dealer is going to have to fix it, as was noted.

If you have a good regimen going, stick with it. If you want to experiment with a coating, there are many available now, all of which can be had for less than $1400, even if you go to a pro detailer and have it applied.

Hello....
(I was wondering how long it'd take someone to say this!)

Typical bumper to bumper warranties will cover driveline AND paint for the first 36/36, (then driveline, rust, etc for whatever else that manufacturer has).

What the dealer ISN'T telling you is you have to come back in and get booster applications. Unless..... maybe they are putting Modesta on! :D Modesta says they can offer you one up to 10 years. :eek:

IRON-X, clay/Nanoskin, buff, sealant on a new car shouldn't run you more than $495~$795 no matter WHERE you are. New sealant every 4 months for great coverage, or every 6 months bare minimum. Up that to a coating, add $150~$250. Even if it's a coating with a "booster" you apply every 6 months, (aka PBL) it'd be years before you spent what they are asking.:rolleyes:

OTOH, Subies are known for soft paint. Swirls WIlLL happen! But..... that just means you''ll need to take proper care when washing & drying. But failing paint otoh doesn't happen unless someone isn't taking care of their paint to begin with.;)

cleanmycorolla
04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Lol dealer sealant = run away

AeroCleanse
04-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Ok, for $1400 you could buy the high end Swissvax Crystal Rock and have more than enough to last several years.

dcjredline
04-04-2014, 12:19 AM
AND its not really just $1400... if you put it in your new car financing at 2.9% for 5 years it will actually be $1505 but thats besides the point.

You can buy 30 Duragloss Enviroshield kits for that price and coat your car every 5 months for probably 10 years!!! GEESH.

brondondolon
04-04-2014, 12:36 AM
More of a reason I hate dealerships... Think of it this way. How much is a paint job? I bet you could find a place for under $1400. Dealer paint coating is prob applied by some guy with no experience working part time for minimum wage. Most likely isn't even a paint coating either probably just a can of the cheapest wax that is left opened 24/7 to attract rocks as a filler so it doesn't run out as fast.

Tell the dealer if their cars are so prone to paint failure then you don't want the car. Watch how fast they change their tune.

Man I hate dealerships... Every department is full of scam artists who would do anything they can to make a buck.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Fred114
04-04-2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks everyone. Although my co-workers are not the detailing enthusiast we have here, they generally take good care of their vehicles. I feel they had paint issues sooner than they should. But I think I will stick with my current sealant/wax combo. Maybe do the Opti-Coat.

runrun411
04-04-2014, 05:15 AM
The next time someone tells you to pay 1400 dollars for dealership paint protection, laugh in their faces.

micvog
04-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Congrats on the Legacy!

I am on my 2nd one - the first was a '12 Premium in White Satin Pearl and my current one is a '14 Limited in Tungsten Metallic. The paint is a little soft (not as soft as Subies from Japan) but I have been impressed with the paint job in both cases. Don't go to aggressive on the polishes and throw a coating on it (I am putting DG's new $38 coating on mine next weekend) and you won't have a problem.