PDA

View Full Version : Spray Wax as a drying aid...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Photecs
04-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Can we get some conversation about how a spray wax can be used as a drying aid? I'm new to the hobby - now taking it to the "weekend warrior" level from just a car wash and doing tires....

Reading a review on Meg's Spray wax, people stated they use it as a drying aid.

How? Does it go in a bucket? It is sprayed on while the car is still wet, then we use MF's to wipe down...?
Thanks.

dad07
04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
This thread will help with your questions.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/78300-d156-drying-agent.html

feslope
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Aquawax. Spray it on your wet car and dry, done.

EVOlved
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I use Sonax BSD as a drying aid every two washes or so you just spray it on each panel as you are drying it with the towel and wipe.

FASTFRED
04-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Another vote for Aquawax.

Hjfowler
04-03-2014, 10:51 AM
I use Griots spray wax. Nice scent great results. My car is black and shows everything. But this product doesn't streak. It's available OTC. Decent price point. Spray on wet car. Dry with microfiber. Done. Just like feslope said.

I haven't tried the others yet. But Ill try it once I run out of my current supply. I've heard great things about Aquawax

cardaddy
04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Yep, as I said over in the other thread.

Two things that I'll ALWAYS have to use as both spray waxes, and as drying aides. Megs 156 and Duragloss Aqua Wax 951 (well in the gallon it's 952).

Both work great. But I honestly think DG951 is slicker. (And doesn't hurt that it smells like a Pina-Colada.)

PaYnTwZRd
04-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Can we get some conversation about how a spray wax can be used as a drying aid? I'm new to the hobby - now taking it to the "weekend warrior" level from just a car wash and doing tires....

Reading a review on Meg's Spray wax, people stated they use it as a drying aid.

How? Does it go in a bucket? It is sprayed on while the car is still wet, then we use MF's to wipe down...?
Thanks.

I use " wizards mist n shine" I use it on trim, windows and chrome. I've even diluted small amounts with my interior degreasers. It will leave a nice flat tone instead of just a clean haze.. but for drying I always use a silicon squeegee on windows only bc they dry fastest, but then giving the car and even doorjams the wax will help break free any standing water and will help with spotting. I use a 3 stage drying process 1st squeegee windows and air nozzle, then SD with a marless wizards water bandit and then more SD with MF. REMEMBER, lubrication and abrasiveness is KEY to detailing. Mechanical abrasion is greater than chemical abrasion. 10% chemical application and 90% mechanical abrasion. Happy detailing :)

Sent from my EVO using AG Online

dcjredline
04-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Aquawax. No need for a conversation.

PA DETAILER
04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Prima wax as you dry. Best in the segment. JMO

Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html)

FUNX650
04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Can we get some conversation about how
a spray wax can be used as a drying aid?

Yes...
Let's do get some conversation going about this subject matter!

Now, I do realize you've been reading up on this topic...
But, personally: How would you define a "drying aid"?

And:
Does it make sense to put something of a wet-nature,
that would further "wetten" a vehicle, in order to dry it?

Thanks in advance, for any input you may have.

Bob

Hjfowler
04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I prefer a spray wax as a drying aid because it helps minimize streaks and waterspots from improper drying. I have a black vehicle so this is imperative for me when drying the car.

Photecs
04-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes...
Let's do get some conversation going about this subject matter!

Now, I do realize you've been reading up on this topic...
But, personally: How would you define a "drying aid"?

And:
Does it make sense to put something of a wet-nature,
that would further "wetten" a vehicle, in order to dry it?

Thanks in advance, for any input you may have.

Bob

I prefer a spray wax as a drying aid because it helps minimize streaks and waterspots from improper drying. I have a black vehicle so this is imperative for me when drying the car.

Nice... 11 replies in 4 hours. Well done AG'ers.
That's exactly my question - I didn't really see how it was a "drying" aid... doesn't really do much for drying really, but aids the drying process... whether it be with less streaking, or helpin the MF glide a little more accross the surface etc....

I too have a black DD, so in about a week or so when I can do my first correction on it, was wondering how the spray wax came into play as a "drying aid".
In my first order, I picked up a bottle of Optimum Spray Wax.... read good things about it, yet not one recommondation in this thread! Go figure.

Anywho - glad to see i wasn't missing the obvious.
ONE LAST QUESTION though... I'm assuming that everyone using this method is using a waffle weave towel to do this, or not using the "air blower" method to help dry the car... or do you air blow, then follow up with a spray and wipe?

Hjfowler
04-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Not sure what the air blow method is but I'm assuming it's using some sort of air dryer to help remove water?

Regardless, I wash the car, use a water blade to dry the windows. Then I spray the wax on panels of the car and use a MF towel that's similar to a bath towel with regard to how it's woven (not sure what that's called). My waffle towels don't dry very well.

c8n
04-03-2014, 01:31 PM
My prior thoughts on using spray wax as a drying aid was because, unless I am totally off on this, it is mostly alcohol based and alcohol does evaporate faster than water. But I digress... my main purpose on using spray wax when drying is to have some lubrication when I am towel drying.