PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Ford Ranger

Pjstockford
04-02-2014, 10:41 PM
A friend of my son's has a '96 Ford Ranger he would like me to try to restore. Being new to "power" detailing, I told him I needed to practice first on my own vehicles. So after some, hopefully, successful practice I need to know what to do. I will be using the PC 7424XP. I purchased the Pinnacle XMT series light swirl kit because my vehicles are a 2013 & 2014. My question is will this work on older oxidized paint with pretty bad water spot etching or do I need a different product? If it will work, what pads do I use? I also don't know if it's single stage paint or not. Do you tell by year of vehicle or some other way? It is a non-metallic orange/red. He's just a kid and I would like to do this for him so he doesn't have to pay someone to do it. Thanks!

Pjstockford
04-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Just found (finally) and read a post from Shade Tree regarding how to tell if you have a single stage paint. So that question is answered. Still would appreciate help with the rest.

wdmaccord
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Four routes you can try starting with least aggressive for your test spot:

#1 on a white polishing pad
#1 on an orange light cutting pad
#2 on a white polishing pad
#2 on an orange light cutting pad

Meguiars Ultimate Compound might be another product to try if you aren't happy with the results of any of the above. I've gone straight to LSP after UC using an orange pad.