PDA

View Full Version : First post, wish I had found this site sooner

hydro556
07-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I wish I had found this site sooner, as I just ordered my first real buffer. I ordered the Makita b06040. I bought it because my random orbital buffer wouldnt take the heavy oxidation off the gelcoat of a recently acquired boat. Did I get a pretty good buffer or should I send it back and get the Porter cable that seems so popular here? I am having some trouble finding pads for the Makita locally so I ordered several from AG. Anything else I should get to get set up for fixing my boat as well as repairing some paint issues on my car and keeping up the new truck?

Thanks guys

ltoman
07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Welcome! I am sorry I can't help, as I know nothing about boats, but you might want to ask GarySword.
Good luck with the boat ~ I hope you get what you need!
~LT~

supercharged
07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Welcome!

ScottB
07-16-2007, 05:08 PM
I dont know boats nor that buffer specifically, but in general the boating industry prefers a rotary buffer and cutting pads.

hydro556
07-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I read several reviews online and the makita, altough relatively new, received excellent reviews. And it is a dual purpose machine. Flip a switch and it goes from random orbital to forced circular. I have always heard good things of Makita, so I decided to give it a shot. I ordered 3 pads plus a wool pad as well as some powdered pad cleaner from AG today, so hopefully that will get me started.

sparkie
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Welcome to AGOL... Maybe someone can chime in and help you on boats. I never have done one.

hydro556
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Additionally, I was kind of disappointed to find that the Makita wouldnt accept the double sided pads that seem so popular here. I had to order the valcro backed 6.5" pads, not even sure of the brand or make. Also, do any of you use the powdered cleaner that AG sells for $5 here? The rep recommended it and since I usually use water, I figured it had to be an improvement.

Rsurfer
07-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I take it that your boat is fiberglass with a gel coat finsih. Don't know how well auto polish and waxes will hold up to the marine environment. Check out the Duragloss line of marine products. :cheers:

hydro556
07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks. I have marine wax to finish with. I am looking for info on tools and product to use for removing the oxidation more than anything, though.

Moxie
08-01-2007, 03:41 PM
For medium to heavy oxidation on my boat I use 3M Imperial Compound with finishing material. I then went to XMT3 followed by Collinite 845. Next time I detail the boat I will be applying a coat of XMT360 prior to the Collinite. I use all of these products with my PC but I do thinik a rotary would work better on the boat but I have yet to try one.

gary26
08-01-2007, 06:33 PM
welcome to the site ! I'm sure some one will be able to help you. Lot's of good info here.