PDA

View Full Version : Darker patch of paint on car

pringo
04-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but wasn't too sure where to post it.

The attached picture shows the slightly darker patch of paint on the hood of my car. My car has had a sealant applied around 2 months ago and this is the first time I've noticed this patch of darker paint. It may have been there the whole time or not, can't say with any certainty.

I've tried using a quick detailer to remove it, but no cigar.

The darker patch is flush with the surrounding paint, no etching or roughness. It is as smooth and level as the surrounding paint.

Any clue on what it could be? a paint defect from the manufacturer? Bad application of sealant?

http://imgur.com/6x3b598

pringo
04-02-2014, 01:52 AM
http://imgur.com/6x3b598.jpg

jamesboyy
04-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Only thing that I think is possible is if the car was brought used then the previous owner may had some damage in that spot so when they fixed it they didn't match the color or paint system up correctly also another possible cause is that someone sanded through the clear coat a good test to perform would be to get a paint cleaner or polish and place some on a microfiber towel and rub onto the darker spot if you see paint transfer then the clear coat is gone if there's no transfer then the paint was not matched right thought it do look like a bird bomb/water etching that was slightly removed also get a compound and see if you could buff it out by hand

pringo
04-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Car was brand new from the dealer. I thought it could be an etch but there really is no level difference, nor do I ever remember removing such a large bird bomb from my car. Hard to believe it would be bird/water etch and if it was water it runs quite quickly off via beading, and bird bombs are not that big this part of the world. Haven't removed one that large ever >.>

Mike Phillips
04-02-2014, 06:21 AM
I've tried using a quick detailer to remove it, but no cigar.

If a quick detailer didn't remove it then try an actual paint cleaner or fine cut polish, by hand or machine.

Stains like this are either,

A: Topical - That means only affecting the top surface.

B: Sub-surface - That means what ever is causing the discoloration has penetrated INTO the clear layer of paint and thus causing the visual change in appearance.

Because modern clear coats and especially something brand new are very impermeable, that is they are the opposite of porous, it's highly UNLIKELY that whatever is causing the discoloration has penetrated very far into the clear layer of paint.

This means you should be able to remove the stain by applying either a paint cleaner or a fine cut polish.

In the Pinnacle line,

Paint Cleaner - Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Fine Cut Polish = Advanced Finishing Polish

Both can be applied by hand or with a dual action polisher be sure to apply some wax or sealant afterwards as any paint cleaner or polish will remove any previously applied wax.

I's say chances are better that this is an easy fix and if the above doesn't fix the problem that means the paint is either stained very deep into the clear layer of paint or the actual "clear paint" in this area is defective from when it was sprayed, both of these latter possibilities are very unlikely.

:)

Mike Phillips
04-02-2014, 06:21 AM
For reference....

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/26612-how-use-hand-applied-abrasive-polish-paint-cleaner-hand.html)

:)

pringo
04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks mike for replying!

Will make an attempt at your suggestion as soon as I can.

Pirate Bman
04-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Only thing that I think is possible is if the car was brought used then the previous owner may had some damage in that spot so when they fixed it they didn't match the color or paint system up correctly also another possible cause is that someone sanded through the clear coat a good test to perform would be to get a paint cleaner or polish and place some on a microfiber towel and rub onto the darker spot if you see paint transfer then the clear coat is gone if there's no transfer then the paint was not matched right thought it do look like a bird bomb/water etching that was slightly removed also get a compound and see if you could buff it out by hand

Yup thats what my dad had suggested. And I knew the car had collision claim on it that confirmed the case.