PDA

View Full Version : Shade Tree Newbie

Pjstockford
04-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Totally new to detailing with a power tool. Just purchased a PC7424XP with various pads and Pinnacle XMT for light swirls. I have a two month old Ford Explorer in Tuxedo Black and a year old Mustang in Gotta Have It Green. I'm thinking I'm going to start on the black Explorer. My question is should I stick with the Pinnacle XMT system or go with a one-step product? Any suggestions or advice is welcome!

HateSwirls
04-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Use what you have.
Later if you want to try an all in one give the Meguiar's D-151.
It qremoves light defects and protects all with one product.
You will find out quickly how easy it is to use, one swipe and it's off:)

Only comes in a gallon though , only downside to it.

jamesboyy
04-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Welcome to autogeek, and just use what you have on hand first just to see what your most comfortable also +1 for meguiars d 151

Pjstockford
04-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to get started and see the results. A bit nervous, though.

jamesboyy
04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Don't be nervous just take your time get a feel for what your doing, and if you confused or have question ask us we are here for ya

Pjstockford
04-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks!!

KBsToy
04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Remember to wash , clay then inspect your paint for imperfections. I used the XMT 360 on wifes work van and it did a great job removing some light scratches and water spots. I uesd XMT paste carnuba to top it off. Its been a couple of moths and still looking good. I also hit it with XMT spray detailer. I like to use same brand when working on my cars.

My Camaro will be Optimum GPS then Optimum spray wax. Top with a Carnuba. Camaro`s paint is in better shape.

CTS I have not decided on yet.

Our vechicles all light colored so they are forgiven.

This is a novices advice :)

Bunky
04-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Welcome !!

The definition of "light swirls" is ambiguous and more difficult to remove on really hard paint. You can do a test spot with an all in one such as the hood to decide if the result is to your liking. The AIO will likely hide some swirls so it is not like you are removing all of them if they disappear. You could also do a side by side. 1/2 hood with AIO and 1/2 hood with moderate or light polish to see which you like best.

The results depend on technique so watch the videos about arm speed, pressure/pad rotation, work speed, work area, cleaning pads, etc.