PDA

View Full Version : what comes first, spray wax or QD?

Photecs
04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
When wanting to remove a light dust on the hood and there's already a layer of lsp on, what comes first, QD or spray wax?

I would think the QD right... as you want the wax to be on a nice clean surface. I just read on another site that a guy is using the spray wax to remove dust with a MF, but it's not meant to clean right?

Jersey John
04-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Are you doing this right after you wax because then you just need to use the quick detailer. Other than that I think it is wax second but im not sure because I havent done it in awhile.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Photecs
04-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Not right after... like two days later, or a week later etc. Just to get a light dust off the surfaces.

Jersey John
04-01-2014, 09:02 AM
If it is like two days later then you shouldnt need the quick wax because the wax you put on is still fine. If you just want to get off light dust then the quick detailer should do the trick without the quick wax.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wheelzntoys
04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Week later I would use waterless.

Kamakaz1961
04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
I would use QD 1st. The QD would be for a rinseless wash and use the QD. I would use the spray wax after washing your car.

You can't go wrong with any IMO

trekkeruss
04-01-2014, 10:08 AM
I just read on another site that a guy is using the spray wax to remove dust with a MF, but it's not meant to clean right?

Some people say that spray wax has supplanted quick detailer; people are using spray wax the way they used to use quick detailer. I think there is room for both products. I would use a quick detailer more like a waterless wash, but only to remove very light dust. I would use a spray wax immediately after a wash.

Hazcat
04-01-2014, 10:26 AM
I quit using QD in favor of WW since it's cheaper and works better IMO. Ultima Waterless Wash Plus does it all. Cleans off the dust and boosts the wax for a good price. Purchase the concentate..add 3oz to a gallon of distilled water and you're good to go. I have some PInnacle waterless wash I got on BOGO but haven't used it yet. I hear it works well also.

To answer your question. You don't want to spray wax dirt into your paint so QD to clean then spray wax for touch up. I know a lot of you feel they both do the same thing and I won't argue because I used to grab whatever was near me and wipe my car off. Lots of times I blow it off first. No need wiping dirt that will blow off. If you don't have any other way to blow it off just take it for a quick jaunt around the block.

Photecs
04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
I just want the spray wax to "top up" my coat of wax that would have been put on the car several weeks ago as a "boost".
figured the QD (UWW+ in my case) would be the way to go to take of LIGHT DUST... foam cannon/2 BW for anything more.

Just makin' sure i'm on the right track.... thanks

07gtcs
04-01-2014, 01:22 PM
As long as its only dusty, use either a WW or QD, then you can top it off with a spray wax. I also sometimes use BF Polymer Spray to top or spruce up my car after a wash or "QD wipe down".

Shortspark
04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Let's see now, there are QDs that excel at cleaning and there are QDs that are better at boosting gloss. If I wanted to clean up light dust, fingerprints and that sort of thing and then top with a spray wax, I would use a waterless wash (rather than a QD) that left nothing on the paint - PoorBoy's Spray and Wipe, for example. It cleans well and that's all it does. It takes nothing from your LSP and leaves nothing. Then, you could top with a spray wax of your choice depending on how long you want protection. AquaWax is great for a shine booster (it is not really a wax). It lasts a month or so depending on what it is exposed to but not much more than that. If you want longer protection with your "topper" go with something like OCW or Megs 156.

Now, lets say you don't want to fool with two steps but want an all-in-one kind of product; one that cleans light dust and fingerprints but also provides a "boost". That is the only time I would use something referred to as a "Quick Detailer". You would then need to look for products like CG's V7, Griot's Speed Shine or Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. They clean fairly well but provide a little more gloss as a refresher to your LSP. You can also use the UWW+ everyone is talking about at the QD ratio. A couple others I like for this are Lucas Slick Mist and Duragloss Fast Clean and Shine.

There are lots of ways to skin the cat, you just need to know what you wish to accomplish and understand that with many of these newer products, the real differences in what we call QD, waterless washes and spray "wax" are slowly becoming blurred.