PDA

View Full Version : has anyone have/had (teeth) braces?

Pages : [1] 2 3

VISITOR
04-01-2014, 01:45 AM
i just got mine and am wondering the do's & dont's.

how long did you have them on?

did you have them all the way to the back molars (top & bottom)?

any recommendations on products to buy?

what should i expect in the upcoming months or so?

Techietruckguy
04-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Buy some of those small pick brushes. Great for getting out food. Also avoid apples

Sent from my Stealth Lookin iPhone using Tapaturd

StangFan25
04-01-2014, 02:29 AM
i just got mine and am wondering the do's & dont's.

how long did you have them on?

did you have them all the way to the back molars (top & bottom)?

any recommendations on products to buy?

what should i expect in the upcoming months or so?

I'm 34 and currently have them. Top only, all the way to last molar. Each case is different but basically follow what the orthodontist tells you. Brush after you eat. Keep them clean. Do NOT use whitening toothpaste or you'll have a yellow square on each tooth where the brace was. Don't eat jerky or anything that requires you to pull.

Ive had mine on for 15 months. I was initially told 12-15 but i still have a gap to close. Its fairly straight forward. If you have a wire, it will poke the inner cheeks when your teeth begin to move. Will hurt at first but your tissue will strengthen and you can go in for a simple wire clip. You should also have been given wax to use if the braces rub on your lips. You should also get toothpaste and other helpful tools from the orthodontist.

Once finished, you'll be given retainers, usually invisalign, to wear everyday for three months, then just at night, permanently. Your teeth will want to shift back to their original place if you don't.

Good luck. Don't worry, its fairly simple. And congrats on making a great decision. Any questions at all, feel free!

tpr1634
04-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Had them in my late thirty's, no gum, no pop corn and keep them and your mouth clean. And when your done wear your retainer if you don't they will go back to were they came from.......

Desertnate
04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
I've had two daughters go through them. Full mouths...front to back, and expanders to boot.

The pick brushes are a great idea. If your orthodontist didn't suggest it yet, I'd say an electric toothbrush is a good idea as well. You don't have to go super expensive to get a good one.

Whole apples area no-go, same for popcorn.

Each of my girls had them for 2~3 years, but that's probably not a good measure for an adult since they hit kids during their growth years to make the bones easier to manipulate.

theblob640
04-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Pretty much what everyone said. Avoid hard foods, when drinking dark drinks, I suggest drinking it through a straw so it doesn't stain your teeth and leave what they call "train tracks" when they remove the brackets. Brush each bracket after eating or give it a good rinse if a brush isn't available. I just had mine removed little over a year ago and I don't miss a second of it.

I got mine at the age of 18 and I heard the later you get it the more painful it is after they are put on. I lost 10 lbs pretty much immediately because all I could eat was soups/liquids for over a month, so expect to lose weight as well.

StangFan25
04-01-2014, 10:01 AM
I got mine at the age of 18 and I heard the later you get it the more painful it is after they are put on. I lost 10 lbs pretty much immediately because all I could eat was soups/liquids for over a month, so expect to lose weight as well.

Whoa!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Are you talking about braces or tonsils! Lol!! That's kinda...ok a lot, extreme for braces. Liquid diet for over a month? Wow that's different than I've heard and personally experience. I've eaten normal except for tough foods, as I previously mentioned.

Oh and someone else mentioned no gum, i chew gum everyday. No problems.

theblob640
04-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Whoa!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Are you talking about braces or tonsils! Lol!! That's kinda...ok a lot, extreme for braces. Liquid diet for over a month? Wow that's different than I've heard and personally experience. I've eaten normal except for tough foods, as I previously mentioned.

Oh and someone else mentioned no gum, i chew gum everyday. No problems.

Yup, pretty much, it was bad. I could not get my top and bottom teeth to touch each other without feeling like they were about to fall off, let alone chew food, the pain was unbearable. I hated every moment I had braces.

eliteautodetail
04-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Yup, pretty much, it was bad. I could not get my top and bottom teeth to touch each other without feeling like they were about to fall off, let alone chew food, the pain was unbearable. I hated every moment I had braces.

You must've had a killer orthodontist, I barely had any pain at all with mine. I had them for three years and they weren't bad. Just stinks because you're constantly having to pick things out of them. Stay away from corn on the cob! Hahaha.

KenR
04-01-2014, 10:28 AM
This thread brings me back to the late 60's when I was a teen :cry:

StangFan25
04-01-2014, 10:33 AM
You must've had a killer orthodontist, I barely had any pain at all with mine. I had them for three years and they weren't bad. Just stinks because you're constantly having to pick things out of them. Stay away from corn on the cob! Hahaha.

Corn on the cob lol that reminds me....a few days after having mine put on, i was eating spaghetti, the noodles would just hang from my teeth. My niece called me octopus-mouth! :D:D:D

07gtcs
04-01-2014, 01:54 PM
My mom made rice for dinner the night I got mine on, talk about fun! They were the old syle kind with the metal that went all the way around each tooth, and had the metal wires. Was only sore for a day when he would change out the wires or change the size of my rubber bands. Had to wear them for just under two years.

Corn on the cob lol that reminds me....a few days after having mine put on, i was eating spaghetti, the noodles would just hang from my teeth. My niece called me octopus-mouth! :D:D:D

JHL88
04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I had a full set of braces on for 25 months, along with elastics and headgear. Would I do it again. Hell to the NO. My teeth weren't in terrible shape to begin with but my parents went ahead and got them for me.

Its a different kind of pain after they tighten them. Best way to describe it is its absolutely miserable.

But I mean... for a measley $5000+ I can surely impress my dentist.

VISITOR
04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
thanks for the replies guys. i bought a waterpik and it helps to blast any crud around the braces, between the teeth and gums. i don't know why i didn't pick one up sooner, i like it. prior to going to my parents dentist (i don't have one and hadn't been to one in over a year or so) i had to get a cavity clearance before they would put the braces on, and the dentist said (as well as the orthodontist) that my guns/teeth (had to get x-rays too) were healthy and no signs of gum disease and/or cavities which was a good sign. don't know if it varies from person to person or if they put them on at a later point or time, but they didn't put braces on my very back top/bottom molars (4 teeth total). it's hard to eat and cutting up food and chewing small pieces sucks, it's like i have to learn to eat all back over again. i have to go back in 6-8 weeks (the braces feel kinda loose already so i'm guessing they'll tighten em up) and visit my dentist every 6 months as well. anymore suggestions and comments are appreciated!

p.s. when you talk to somebody, the two things you look at are their eyes and teeth and even if someone's teeth are healthy but crooked, it still kinda looks unhealthy IMO. seeing women with straight teeth and beautiful smile is a turn-on in my book! :D

StangFan25
04-01-2014, 05:50 PM
p.s. when you talk to somebody, the two things you look at are their eyes and teeth and even if someone's teeth are healthy but crooked, it still kinda looks unhealthy IMO. seeing women with straight teeth and beautiful smile is a turn-on in my book! :D

That's exactly why i chose to finally do them. My niece kept asking me why my teeth were crooked. Its a huge self conscious thing. Everyone should be confident in their smile.

Your teeth feeling loose is expected. They've begun to shift and move. You'll notice the end of the wire on each side will start to poke out more and more. Keep an eye on it as it will chew up your inner cheek pretty badly. You can feel the wire protrude from your molar with your tongue. Typically you'll go in every 5 weeks for an adjustment/tightening. They will snip the wire and adjust things to make them tighter. The adjustments are the only thing i struggle with pain-wise, other than the wire poking me. I suggest taking some ibuprofen or something for pain before you go in every time.

You really shouldn't have to buy anything. Your orthodontist should be providing everything you'd need.

Oh and the xrays were a normal step. Did they take any "before" pictures for comparison?

Remember....brush brush brush! :D