PDA

View Full Version : Paint coating question

brondondolon
03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
So let me start out ive never done a paint coating. Im pretty mechanically inclined and follow directions very well so i dont mind diving into one that is difficult to apply.

My question is i have a 09 dodge ram. Will 30ml be enough to coat the the truck excluding rims trim and glass? Also correct me if im wrong on the typical steps it takes.

Wash
Clay
Paint correction
Carpro eraser
Apply Paint coating
Let cure in garage over night

Does that sound about right?

Thanks guys. Im going to be purchasing a paint coating by the nights end. Im thinking of getting the gtechnique exo. Now before i buy it im looking for an unrealistic shine. Does this coating render such results or is cquartz better?

Docpeanut
03-31-2014, 02:37 PM
30 is more than enough for 2 coats. The list looks good, but if you have sun it's better to let it sit and get warm for a few hours. Keep it dry for the first 24 hours

CleanGene
03-31-2014, 02:39 PM
In my experience, 30ml was just enough to do my wife's Nissan Maxima, not including glass and trim. Your steps look good as well.

Docpeanut
03-31-2014, 02:39 PM
P.S. The shine really comes from proper prep, coating definitely adds gloss but it's not a miracle worker

DARK HORSE
03-31-2014, 02:58 PM
As stated above, 30ml is plenty for two coats around the paint and wheels. I've never used gtechnique exo, but I've used some others. CarPro coatings have always been my favorite. I only offer CQ and CQFinest now. Both outstanding products!

brondondolon
03-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Yeah ive switched my decision to CQUK lol. Its $38 on their site right now so i figure why not. Now can i apply a glaze like poorboy's black hole before the coating or no?

And also instead of buying something like carpro eraser would dish soap suffice? Just wondering. If i can save a buck im all for it lol.

swanicyouth
03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah ive switched my decision to CQUK lol. Its $38 on their site right now so i figure why not. Now can i apply a glaze like poorboy's black hole before the coating or no?

And also instead of buying something like carpro eraser would dish soap suffice? Just wondering. If i can save a buck im all for it lol.

no & no.

DARK HORSE
03-31-2014, 03:35 PM

You will be VERY happy with your decision to go with CQUK.

And NO and NO. Do NOT use a glaze before applying a coating (the coating will not bond to the paint if you do), and do not use dish soap instead of Eraser!!!! In a pinch (like in a Foreign country in the middle of a job with no access to Eraser) IPA at fairly strong dilution can be used prior to coating. However Eraser is much better at removing polishing oils, and is less grabby than IPA. For the small cost of Eraser, I would certianly use it (and I do very often) prior to using a coating. I never apply a coating without wiping the vehicle down twice with Eraser!

brondondolon
03-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Haha ok no glaze and no being a cheapskate lol

brondondolon
03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
k im getting my shopping cart ready. What MF towels would you recommend to wipe off?

Docpeanut
03-31-2014, 04:17 PM
k im getting my shopping cart ready. What MF towels would you recommend to wipe off?

Grab a pack of carpro suede mf towels

brondondolon
04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
So i placed my order and let me just say that Cory at carpro is awesome! He hooked me up with all kinds of perks. And thanks to member "281" for telling me to contact him.

What i got:

30ml CQUK
Free eraser (daily deal on orders over $50)
suede MF towels
5 1/2 MF cutting pad
Reload

Looking forward to applying it to my metallic black 09 ram after doing a full paint correction.

Im also waiting on a carpet cleaner to ship in. Soon as that does im going to do a full detail on my truck and post pics and products used including the paint coating. Just gotta wait for the products and the weather to clear up. I imagine its going to be a big turn around since its been a month since ive washed my truck and its rained, snowed, and high winds have blown dirt all over it. Ive driven it 900 miles since its been washed last and during that trip i drove through swarms of butterflys so its in shambles right now lol. Plus for the interior my 2 year old son decided to celebrate god knows what by throwing snacks all over the back seat and taking the cap off his sippy cup full of milk which ended up everywhere... lol