PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

captainofiron
03-31-2014, 09:59 AM
SO,

Back in college I worked for pepboys so I had the chance to use various "miracle" waxes and polishes and got badly misinformed about products and their application.

Up until the weekend before last I had a cheapo Harbor Freight 10" orbital buffer. I was trying to get some shine out of my 65 Impala's neglected paint. It had been in my parents garage for years serving as a table... at least until I bought a house and got everything organized in the garage so that I could move it to my house.

Anyways, long story short, I used some Meguiars ultimate a foam bonnet and my buffer to try and shine up the old paint, it worked in some areas, but didnt do much to others, and after I got the car halfway done, the buffer quit, the pad disintegrated and the motor stayed really hot.

But its a good thing, because my birthday is next week and I started doing some research and found this website, so I am leaning toward buying the Porter Cable 7424, but what else?

after looking around the store alot, I like those CCS pads

Any advice?

The only paint projects I have right now are: trying to cut and buff up my Impala, and remove some stubborn water spot stains on the top of my Wifes Santa Fe

woopigsooie
03-31-2014, 03:19 PM
PC 7424 is a good tool for a great price. I like the CCS pads but you need multiple pads. I recommend M105 and M205 for compounding and polishing. Don't forget to seal it or coat it afterwards! Post pictures when you complete it!

mgmoore7
03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
I recently went through the same decisions and ended up with the Griots Garage version. Just keep in mind that the total cost will likely be $100 or more for the additional items that you will probably want / need such as.

-Microfiber towels
-Pads
-compound, polish, wax
-clay and clay lubricant
-washing items so that you don't scratch it after you correct it.

Once this all starts, there will be the carpet cleaner, interior detail / protector, waterless or rinseless wash, and who knows what else. Point is, I think I have spent close to $500 now. I think it will all be worth it but as a do-it-yourselfer, it will take some time to realize the benefit from a money perspective except that to pay someone to do what I have done so far would be many hundreds of $ and I would not have the equipment.

captainofiron
03-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

buddee
04-01-2014, 06:07 AM
The best kit which i can highly recommend for paint correction:

Griot’s Garage & Meguiar’s Paint Perfection Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-paint-perfection-kit.html)

I've used those 10 and 6 inch buffers for a long time and whilst they are good for basic waxing, they will do little in ways of serious paint correction. One of my co-workers has a porter cable 7424XP and let me give a try some while back and it made me look at this detailing art in a whole new light. So i did some research and decided the above package was not only the best value, but it was exactly what i wanted and needed for paint correction. I'll of course have to purchase more pads etc. if I plan on doing this on any major scale (right now i'm just a little fish) but it is for sure an awesome start!

KBsToy
04-01-2014, 10:24 AM
I recently went through the same decisions and ended up with the Griots Garage version. Just keep in mind that the total cost will likely be $100 or more for the additional items that you will probably want / need such as.

-Microfiber towels
-Pads
-compound, polish, wax
-clay and clay lubricant
-washing items so that you don't scratch it after you correct it.

Once this all starts, there will be the carpet cleaner, interior detail / protector, waterless or rinseless wash, and who knows what else. Point is, I think I have spent close to $500 now. I think it will all be worth it but as a do-it-yourselfer, it will take some time to realize the benefit from a money perspective except that to pay someone to do what I have done so far would be many hundreds of $ and I would not have the equipment.

Join the club..:dblthumb2: