PDA

View Full Version : Need a little guidence

mred_baker
03-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Just purchased the PC 7424XP and the forum favorite wax kit. I have a 2010 (tourch red) Grand Sport that has been garage kept so the paint is excellent condition, but has very light swirl marks throughout. Where do I insert (or do I), some type of swirl remover. Which Pads do I use for each application?

Thanks for any input

Wash
Clay Bar
Klasse All-In-One cleanser
Klasse sealant Glaze
Pinnacle Souveran Wax

tedj101
03-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Just purchased the PC 7424XP and the forum favorite wax kit. I have a 2010 (tourch red) Grand Sport that has been garage kept so the paint is excellent condition, but has very light swirl marks throughout. Where do I insert (or do I), some type of swirl remover. Which Pads do I use for each application?

Thanks for any input

Wash
Clay Bar
Klasse All-In-One cleanser
Klasse sealant Glaze
Pinnacle Souveran Wax

Klasse All in One is not a polish. It won't remove swirls. You need a more aggressive product for that. Personally, I start with Meguiars 205 (light polish) and if that is not strong enough, I go to Meguiars 101 (heavier polish for DA machines such as yours). These are relatively expensive products. You can go to Pep Boys and buy Meguiars Ultimate compound and Meguiars Ultimate polish which are similar. I would start with the polish on an orange Lake Country pad. If that is not strong enough, I would go to the compound on a white pad moving to orange if the white pad doesn't cut it.

After the polishing, you will want to wash off with a good soap at the least, follow with Klasse AIO and then the sealant. I think you'll be thrilled with the results.

If you are new to using a DA polisher, watch the videos on this web site to get the technique down before you start. The videos will show you how to prime a pad, how much product to use and how large an area to work on. It will also show you how slowly you should move the machine.

Best of luck!
<TED>

GenesisCoupe
03-31-2014, 02:08 PM
^^

I'd use a M205 as well. Available in major auto stores or on AG, whichever is more conveniant for you.

From what you are describing, you should be able to get away with M205 on an organge pad or a white polishing pad. Speed 5-6 on your PC.

mred_baker
04-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Cool, thanks! Should I use the M205 before the AIO?

GenesisCoupe
04-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Cool, thanks! Should I use the M205 before the AIO?

Yes..

M105 is a compound (removes swirls, etc)

M205 is a light polish (make the paint pop, remove smaller defects)

M205 is the last step before your desired application of a sealant, AIO, wax, etc.

You should use a white polishing pad with M205, or a light pink. Speed 5 or 6 on your DA.

Desertnate
04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
To go along with the rest of the advice....

When you finish polishing and get to the Klasse products, use both of them VERY thin. The AIO can be used with a damp pad on a DA but be very careful how wet the pad is because you will spray water and product all over the place when the DA is turned on...trust me on this one!

I would not apply the Klasse SG with the DA. You have to use so little and the product is so thin, it's just not worth the trouble. If you search around here, several people discuss their technique of actually misting the SG on the surface with a sprayer vs a traditional approach spreading it with a pad.

In both cases, if you can clearly see the product on the surface, you've used too much.

Andrew@ToyMotorsports
04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Make sure you keep conditioning the pad with QD if you do t have any pad conditioner. Otherwise 105 or 205 will start dusting. regularly brush the pad as well I prefer to brush my pads while the machine is off to avoid excessive pad wear. If you haven't bought any polish, compound or pads. I recommend the meguiar's DA MF system I used it on a jeep Cherokee that I applied C Quartz to this passed Sunday and it removed all of the swirls on the jeep. Same process as well keep brushing the pads.

As for the klasse to limit my use so I wouldn't over kill I poured my klasse into 3 oz. spray bottles (travel isle at your local walmart or target) I've done several vehicles so far without having to refill those bottles.

mred_baker
04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the info. So is this the correct order of products?

Wash
M205
Klasse AIO cleaner (to strip off current wax on car)
Klasse sealant
Pinnacle wax

dcjredline
04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Or Meguiars Ultimate Polish...also available almost everywhere.

Desertnate
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM

Wash
M205
Klasse sealant
Pinnacle wax

By the time you're done with the M205 or Ultimate Polish, the wax will be gone. The AIO only cleans up any residue left behind by the polish and gives you a clean surface for the sealant to bond.

You still need to clay the vehicle before you polish to make sure all of the contaminates are out of the clear coat.

mred_baker
04-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Makes sense. I do plan on claying (forgot to add it to the list).

Thanks for helping a noob!

GenesisCoupe
04-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Wash
M205
Klasse sealant
Pinnacle wax

By the time you're done with the M205 or Ultimate Polish, the wax will be gone. The AIO only cleans up any residue left behind by the polish and gives you a clean surface for the sealant to bond.

You still need to clay the vehicle before you polish to make sure all of the contaminates are out of the clear coat.

This...

Makes sense. I do plan on claying (forgot to add it to the list).

Thanks for helping a noob!

NP!

brondondolon
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Another good product for removing light swirls is Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 i swear but it but at the same time ive yet to use 205

Desertnate
04-02-2014, 02:08 PM
I like to think of UC and UP as the gateway drug to the harder stuff like Wolfgang/Menzerna/Blackfire products.

The Meguiars products are inexpensive, available everywhere, easy to use and do a good job. You use them a few times to get a handle on what DA polishing is all about. You build up a little confidence and suddenly you're looking other products. The next thing you know you're $20 Meguairs investment has led you to $50 worth of Wolfgang products!