PDA

View Full Version : I think I know?

Excessive Detail
06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I know, but I want to be sure, so what are the best ways to prevent swirls before and after detailing. I know that wiping in straight lines is one and using a two bucket method to wash helps, keeping rags clean, and using the right types of rags, using a foam gun, is their anything else? Also, I was claying a friends car and I noticed that it was leaving very light scratches, the clay was fairly new and it looked clean and I kept foldeing it over, I never saw this before and I'm pretty sure I know how to correctly clay, but the scratches freaked me out. I don't know if I used to much pressure or the wrong clay or maybe it was dirtier than I thought, I never dropped it either. I used wurth zebra clay. I'm scared to clay know. Help!:(

Neothin
06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
try more lube/less pressure next time you clay.

Don't touch your paint unless your cleaning the car.
stay away from automatic car washes (regular ones swirl the paint, touchless are VERY harsh on your wax)
don't use products like the california car duster. They have been know to leave behind light swirling

i'll add if i can think of anything else, but really, just be smart about it.

quikzilver
06-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Where these scratches in line with the clay path (that is, did the clay leave the scratches)? Did you hear scratching sounds when claying? If a car has never been clayed before, you will be uncovering all the damage that was already in the paint.

I agree with Neothin. The clay has to float over the paint, instead of having to be rubbed into the paint. Work in the shade and use sufficient lubricant. Use the clay right after the car is washed an dried.

ScottB
06-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Clay is abrasive and anyone thinking otherwise is seriously wrong. That being said, if used properly clay can help start the polishing process and should do very little damage in swirling and scratches. Clay should NEVER be grounded into the paint, it should glide and the finish should be well lubricated.

This is also why clay is offered in different degree's of abrasive quality. I have personally found our Wolfgang Clay to be more abrasive than the Pinnacle Poly Clay. And I have found the Ultra Poly Clay to be the lightest.

BILL
06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Also read somewhere where cutting the clay into 8 pieces[one] for each panel is smart, this way if you drop it and its contaminated you still have 7 other pieces....

abrcrombe
06-11-2006, 11:16 AM
It is a smart idea if you tend to drop things. I've never dropped a piece of clay (thank goodness) and I'm fine with just the one piece. If you are worried about dropping it, cut it up!

ScottB
06-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Also read somewhere where cutting the clay into 8 pieces[one] for each panel is smart, this way if you drop it and its contaminated you still have 7 other pieces....

or buy the Pinnacle Poly Clay which is offered in several smaller self sealed bars. :applause:

abrcrombe
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/pin516n.html

How can I buy that? Is there a huge difference between that and the ultra poly?

ScottB
06-11-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.autogeek.net/pin516n.html

How can I buy that? Is there a huge difference between that and the ultra poly?

It is a slighty more aggressive clay, and should only need to be used twice a year maximum. I would call Jason as I dont see the link .... maybe its out of stock, as it was just on sale last month. I hope we are not moving to one larger bar now ... :confused:

abrcrombe
06-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't even see the original poly bar when I go to Pinnacle's site or when I go looking for clay. I only found that link searching for "poly" and I also found
http://www.autogeek.net/poly-detailing-clay.html
But I am more interested in buying in bulk, because clay is so darn useful!

BILL
06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
It is a smart idea if you tend to drop things. I've never dropped a piece of clay (thank goodness) and I'm fine with just the one piece. If you are worried about dropping it, cut it up!

Me too:) never dropped one yet but you never know;)