PDA

View Full Version : Will a Foam cannon help decrease wash time?

Pages : [1] 2

boom_digs
03-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Hi,

Not sure if it's just me but during the rainy season (here in the Philippines, from june to nov) i find it hard to clean caked up-mud splattered panels. It usually takes me several passes to clean these areas as i usually apply very little pressure when touching the paint with the wash mitt. I also try to rinse off my wash mitt with the clean water bucket as often as possible especially on these areas. So it really takes me quite a while just to wash the car.

I've been curious to know if using a foam cannon/pressure washer combo (coupled with the 2 bucket method of course) would decrease my wash time. I'm thinking, the foam generated might significantly loosen up the mud (and provide additional lubrication) hence, it might just decrease the number of passes i need to do on those dirty panels - saving me valuable time. To those already using a foam cannon, would really like to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your very valuable inputs!

AeroCleanse
03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
The pressure washer will speed it up. The foam cannon would slow down somewhat, as you need at least a 5 min dwell time.

rolop6
03-30-2014, 10:43 PM
If you want to speed up use a turbo nozzle on your pressure washer. It will help caked on dirt

boom_digs
03-30-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks aerocleanse. By experience, does the 5min dwell time release the mud from the paint or does it just soften it?

aztec1987
03-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Somewhat it will, remember you still have to hand wash it

Bob57
03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
:welcome: boom-digs in the Philippines

Bob :)

AeroCleanse
03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks aerocleanse. By experience, does the 5min dwell time release the mud from the paint or does it just soften it?

It depends on what product you use. It will help soften it for sure, and make the pressure wash rinse easier.

Mike Phillips
03-31-2014, 11:58 AM
I think using a foam gun saves time, at least for me, not a huge, dramatic chunk of time but I do think it saves time and makes washing anything faster and easier.

When I use the foam gun I don't use a bucket, at least not for washing the body panels, sometimes for the wheels and tires thought.

Theoretically if you just use teh foam gun and don't use a bucket then not using a bucket saves time as you don't have to get the bucket, rinse ti to make sure it's clean, fill it with water, add soap etc.

I strongly prefer to use a foam gun to wash a car than not use one. It does make washing your car faster and easier in that you don't have to dip a mitt into a bucket to get soap suds.

I think it made washing this faster and for sure easier...

Meguiar's Big Rig Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/77731-meguiar-s-big-rig-extreme-makeover-pictures-videos.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_037.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_038.jpg

HateSwirls
03-31-2014, 12:29 PM
I foam down my cars really to soften the dirt and grime, helps prevent scratching.
Not sure if it's faster but that's not my goal when foaming.

KMG
03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I go back and forth between foaming and following with a typical 2 bucket wash and foaming the car a second time and using the wash mit with the foam lance. It is certainly quicker to just use the lance and a wash mitt.

conquistador
03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
I agree with mike that a foam gun with out buckets can save time. But the OP asked if a foam cannon will save time not a foam gun.

In my experience a foam cannon actually adds a significant amount of time to the wash process. For me it adds alot of extra steps. When compared to a traditional 2 bucket wash with a normal water hose.

1. drag out the power washer, check the gas and oil levels
2. connect the water hose
3. start the power washer
4. add water and soap to the foam cannon
5.connect foam cannon to the the power washer
6.foam car
7 turn power washer off
8 wait 3-5 minutes for the foam to dwell
9 disconnect foam cannon
10 connect spray nozzle
11 restart power washer
12 rinse the vehicle

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
03-31-2014, 01:27 PM
If you're working in the shade foam the car down then hit the wheel wells, wheels and tires. If you notice it start to dry after two wheels, foam it down again.

Takes a couple extra minutes but washing is so much easier and faster because the dirt has been broken down and/or rinsed off before you even touch the paint. Less dirt on the surface when you're washing the smaller chance of any marring or scratching during the washing process.

AeroCleanse
03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I agree with mike that a foam gun with out buckets can save time. But the OP asked if a foam cannon will save time not a foam gun.

In my experience a foam cannon actually adds a significant amount of time to the wash process. For me it adds alot of extra steps. When compared to a traditional 2 bucket wash with a normal water hose.

1. drag out the power washer, check the gas and oil levels
2. connect the water hose
3. start the power washer
4. add water and soap to the foam cannon
5.connect foam cannon to the the power washer
6.foam car
7 turn power washer off
8 wait 3-5 minutes for the foam to dwell
9 disconnect foam cannon
10 connect spray nozzle
11 restart power washer
12 rinse the vehicle

Get an electric pressure washer none of the start stop, check fluids, etc.

AeroCleanse
03-31-2014, 02:47 PM
I think using a foam gun saves time, at least for me, not a huge, dramatic chunk of time but I do think it saves time and makes washing anything faster and easier.

Mike, I think the OP means a foam cannon that hooks to a pressure washer.

mac11wildcat
03-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Isnt the more important question is does it improve your result? Saving time makes no difference if in the end you spend more time re-correcting the paint or scrubbing off spots you missed.