PDA

View Full Version : Key scratch repair needed - Chicago Area

Bull Moose
03-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Someone keyed my car this weekend across two door panels and part of the rear quarter panel. To put it mildly, I'm really pissed! This is beyond my comfort zone for repair. Can anyone recommend a professional in the Chicago area that I can consult about possible repair? Sorry about the attached photo quality ( and it is posting upside down for some reason); this is the best I can do for now. I would describe it as a narrow scratch of medium depth. Any help would be appreciated. This sucks!

asalesagent912
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM
I feel your pain. This is my worse nightmare. ther fingers should fall off.
From the pic it looks like it may be able to be wet sanded and compounded and polished to get most of it out. I would try that before getting it painted. If you aren't comfortable wet sanding, try coumpound and a light polish. sorry i dont live in the chicago area.

GenesisCoupe
03-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Someone keyed my car this weekend across two door panels and part of the rear quarter panel. To put it mildly, I'm really pissed! This is beyond my comfort zone for repair. Can anyone recommend a professional in the Chicago area that I can consult about possible repair? Sorry about the attached photo quality ( and it is posting upside down for some reason); this is the best I can do for now. I would describe it as a narrow scratch of medium depth. Any help would be appreciated. This sucks!

I'm in Addison, however my insurance doesn't kick in until mid-May. I am not sure from this pic whether wet sanding could fix this.

Try giving Ivan a call at LUSTR Detail in Elk Grove Village. If he can't do it i'm sure he knows someone that can!

Bull Moose
03-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Many thanks for the replies.

artofdetailing
03-30-2014, 09:06 PM

If you can feel it with your fingernail, get it repainted and use insurance. You MIGHT be able to find somebody who is good enough to fill the scratch but if you are anal like the rest of us, its going to bother the sh*t out of you.