PDA

View Full Version : Wax AND Sealant question...

Supergus1
03-30-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm gearing up to start my first season of machine detailing and I had a question: I love the depth that carnuba wax offers, but I understand that sealants afford longer protection. If that is true, then I might try using both. I've heard that this is a pretty common practice. My question is: which goes on first, the wax or the sealant? I sure would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

jamesboyy
03-30-2014, 08:16 PM
You will want apply a sealant first then a wax, and yes a sealant does last longer(six months to a year) when a wax last only a few weeks

DirtyBlackHoe
03-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Sealant so that it can bind to the clean paint

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

peter hurcos
03-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Sealant first. But be aware that there is no clear demarcation between what constitutes a sealant and what constitutes a wax. A sealant is really just a wax that is synthesized. A wax is natural either carnauba or beeswax. Lots of products have some of each either sealant or wax, and its really just a marketing decision as to whether its sold as wax or sealant. Most will sell their product as wax if they can, but Collinite notably sells its product as a "wax" even though it has plenty of weird chemicals in it and its durable as all get out.

Supergus1
03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Sealant first. But be aware that there is no clear demarcation between what constitutes a sealant and what constitutes a wax. A sealant is really just a wax that is synthesized. A wax is natural either carnauba or beeswax. Lots of products have some of each either sealant or wax, and its really just a marketing decision as to whether its sold as wax or sealant. Most will sell their product as wax if they can, but Collinite notably sells its product as a "wax" even though it has plenty of weird chemicals in it and its durable as all get out.
Thanks for the heads up Peter! I'll be using Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and then following up with Pinnacle Souveran wax (after claying with Pinnacle Ultra Poly and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0) Any thoughts on this combination? The paint is Nautical Blue Metallic on a 2012 Toyota Tundra. I only mention this in case anyone has experience with these products on this paint. Thanks again!

aztec1987
03-30-2014, 11:01 PM
I tend to use 3-5 coats of sealant and 2-3 coats of wax. You can find a variety of sealants by Chemical Guys in which is what I use.