PDA

View Full Version : Working Menzerna - Need Some Help, Please!

ltoman
07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Ok, I have been reading the posts here, but I guess I have gotten careless and just assumed Menzerna could be used the same as an XMT or SSR.
-I used XMT pad conditioner. (A big no-no, I gather?)
-I broke it down first (not necessary???)
-I used a big fat X - (way too much product?)
-It was oily and very hard to get off the car!
(This was the Nano - PO106FF)

Even the glaze - I wiped on by hand but getting it off - ugggh!!!
Help. What am I SUPPOSED to be doing that I am not?
Help is always appreciated. I am going to gpo back at it!!
Feed back please Lauren

D
07-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Never saw anyone say to not use XMT pad conditioner, but try without using it. If you need something then just use water, but you shouldnt need anything. You dont HAVE to break it down with my experience. Big fat X might be too much polish, just use two 3" lines. This is a little harder to remove them XMT or SSR.

blivengood
07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I usually wipe off with a damp microfiber towel then buff with a dry one with no problems.

D
07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Yep, thats actually what it says to do on the directions.

ltoman
07-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I looked at the directions on AG's page - where it is for sale - and that is the way i did it. you see i was working with a sample someone was kind enough to give me, and so therefore I could not read the bottle. it was oily....I think Al-53 said no pad conditioner.

Al-53
07-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes....myself and a few others..had a problem when useing a pad conditioner...the menz just gummed and was spitting little polish balls ..now it could of been the weather combo also...but once I changed the pad and no pad lube and just a drop of Opt polish it worked fine....but do not know..yesterday I used 3 Menz's polishes...with both wool and foam...and not a problem..it went very smooth....and I used both a rotary and a PC....did not even need any Opt polish...

on the wool pads I used 3 quarter size drops since the pad is 8"....smeared it on and cut the CC with it....on the 5.5 and 5" inch pads I used 2-3 pea size drops...workd it till it was a hazy clear...wiped off...perfect finish...Now I only use 5 and 5.5 inch pads on both machines...so do not know if thats a plus...but it works......

From reading different forums I gathered a bunch of info on menz.....plus talking to them ..it seems like Menz is sorta weather finicky..whether its humid..hot...same with Meg's polishes and 3M they are finicky also...so you have to try different approaches to see whats going to work....

I know they say a 6 inch line..but to me thats alot...maybe try a 3 inch line..or just a few drops pea size....

AL

Truls
07-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I never had any prob using the Menz 106ff without pad conditioner. but i used it with a Rotary, dont know if that makes a difference...

But Menxz likes it best when applyed on a cool surface.

ZoranC
07-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Like said, big fat X is way too much. Even 3" line is way too much. 4 pea size drops to prime the pad and after that two drops per section. Very small drops.

No pad conditioning required and often it ends up counterproductive. It is also very sensitive to temperature. It's market is automotive industry in controlled environment, not enthusiasts or mobile detailers. Keep that in mind.

ScottB
07-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Lauren ... I told you that if you were having a hard time spreading it, to consider a light dampening of the pad with water. I did not mean pad conditioner however so I am likely to blame. I literally meant a quick spritz of water from a fine spray bottle.

I have never had the problem with spreading or oily-ness so I wonder if the sample you got was not mixed properly ?? I use three small lines, smaller than a finger but slightly more than 4 pea's. I would say four dimes would be a better equal when priming the pad initially. Obviously we have extreme humidity in Florida and never noted any difference in removal of 106FF specifically. I did however note that the Glaze and Wax appear to like "less humid" atmosphere.

I dont understand the comment on breaking down .... this polish has diminishing abrasives and will naturally break down to a final polish if worked properly until dried. (clouds over) As noted however, there is a trick to removing stubborn polishes, waxes, and sealants and thats usually a fine spritz of a quick detailer.

D
07-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Work it until it has corrected, then buff.

ltoman
07-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, thank you all. Back at it I go!!

budman3
07-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Also don't think you are doing anything wrong if Menzerna doesn't remove as well as the SSRs or XMT. Those are like cake to apply and remove. Menzerna is a nice polish but in order to produce those great results, it takes away from the usability, IMO.

tod071
07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it could be simply too much product. I usually just work it in until it corrects, then give it a nice gloss with faster movement. When I first started using it, I had the same problem, tried to spritz to use up the caked up product on the pad, but was to diluted to do any correction. I tossed the pad and used a new one, problem solved.

Good luck!

Nica
07-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Lauren, sorry to hear the Menzerna experiance is not going as well but the info you have received here is really good. Hopefully it will make it easy for you and you can enjoy Menzerna as much us others that use it and love it.

Keep us posted on how you are making out, I'm curious to see what you have to say about Menzerna when you get the hang of it.

Grimm
07-16-2007, 08:31 AM
I didn't have any problems, but then I didn't get the 106. I see you are trying the pad that came with the polish, like I did. On the first application I put two lines on the pad about two inches long, and after that I used about two dime sized blobs. Others have said you use Menzerna sparingly like Optimum, but I found a little more was needed for me. Then I did 2-3 passes with moderate pressure, then 2-3 more with little to no pressure. It was pretty easy to remove.