PDA

View Full Version : Opti coat

Pages : [1] 2

nebojsa
03-29-2014, 12:31 PM
I am about to buy and apply opti coat for the first time. What applicator would you use. A link to ago would be really helpful. Also any tips on how to avoid high areas and best way to get rid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyG
03-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Here's the link to the product page telling and showing you how....and it's just this easy...

Opti-Coat 2.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

Video01

Video02

Durallymax
03-29-2014, 12:42 PM
I am about to buy and apply opti coat for the first time. What applicator would you use. A link to ago would be really helpful. Also any tips on how to avoid high areas and best way to get rid of them.

I just use the one that comes with it.

Best way to avoid high spots is practice, after awhile you learn how much to apply. remember you do not need much, just a couple drops.

To remove high spots use an MF to knock them down after the stuff around the high area flashes. Best to apply it under a lot of bright light. I do it in our shop with tons of Flourescents, not as much as a german inspection room, but close. If I can't use those to my advantage I wear a bright LED headlight.

nebojsa
03-29-2014, 12:50 PM
I remember reading that the applicator that comes with the kit absorbs too much product

nebojsa
03-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Another question, can opti coat be applied to rims, and headlight? Or would opti lens be better?

BobbyG
03-29-2014, 01:03 PM
I've applied Opti-Coat the following...

Paint
Wheels
Plastic Trim
Headlights
Taillights
Chrome
Glass

mcochris
03-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Applying Opti-Coat is the easy part. There's lots of prep before...

BobbyG
03-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Here's another great video of a guy laying it on beautifully!

Video3

Durallymax
03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
I remember reading that the applicator that comes with the kit absorbs too much product

I suppose its possible if you appply a lot of pressure to it. Possibly use an indigo pad instead?

The first time I used it was on this tractor, i used 5cc to do it and it was my first time, they claim 3 cars in a tube. I don't think the applicator wasted any.
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr264/Dieselholicpullteam/20131230_082244_zps8321152d.jpg (http://s490.photobucket.com/user/Dieselholicpullteam/media/20131230_082244_zps8321152d.jpg.html)

Evan.J
03-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I use this applicator and I will not use anything else.
Optimum Opti Dual Pro Applicator (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/optimum-dual-pro-applicator.html)

nebojsa
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I will be doing a 1 step paint correction on a camaro special edition. Would you do a IPA wiped own after polish? Can I do a glaze before opti coating? Can the micro fiber towel be used again? How is the cure time? Should I keep the customers car overnight?

VP Mark
03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Here's another great video of a guy laying it on beautifully!

Video3

I'm not fond of this guys technique. I've always believed in and used the horizontal then vertical wiping with the applicator. Its way too easy to get uneven coverage when you only go one way.

I also believe the applicator should be moving fairly slowly to ensure a thick layer of product.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

VP Mark
03-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I will be doing a 1 step paint correction on a camaro special edition. Would you do a IPA wiped own after polish? Can I do a glaze before opti coating? Can the micro fiber towel be used again? How is the cure time? Should I keep the customers car overnight?

Absolutely NO glaze. There should be nothing between you and the paint when applying this.

Do an IPA wiped own or use the prep polish before application unless you are using optimum hyper polish on the car.

I've always reused my microfibers and applicators after application. Rinse with water immediately after use.

Make sure the vehicle does not get wet or overly exposed to the elements until at least 12 hours after the coating is applied. I tell my clients to just keep it parked until the next morning after application just to be safe.

I'm an Optimum pro installer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Evan.J
03-29-2014, 07:35 PM
:iagree:

Great advice Mark

Faris63
03-29-2014, 07:50 PM
So Opti-coat can't be applied outdoors ?