PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar 6 year old car

FRSstyle
03-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Yesterday I clay barred a car that is 6 years old and never was clayed or waxed.

1. Just a few passes was enough to get the clay bar filthy. Is that to be expected, or did I just not clean the car well enough first?

2. I was not able to get all the gunk off even after 3-4 passes over a spot. I was just gliding the bar over like I've seen in all the youtube videos. Should I press down on the car like I'm scrubbing it? (I was concerned of scratching the car like that)

hernandez.art13
03-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Which clay bar did you use?

FRSstyle
03-29-2014, 11:23 AM
The Chemical guys heavy duty purple bar.

hernandez.art13
03-29-2014, 11:27 AM
That's strange, I was thinking of a more aggressive clay bar would be necessary. I'll tune in and see what others suggest.

Good luck

03-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Hit it with IronX...I wouldn't press down like I'm scrubbing.

Docpeanut
03-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Hit it with IronX...I wouldn't press down like I'm scrubbing.

I agree. After 6 years there's bound to be a bunch of contamination on the paint. It will take a little time but it will come clean

mcochris
03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Try cleaning a section with OPC 3:1 first, then claying.

Hazcat
03-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Iron X then use a nano pad on a DA and work up a lather with car wash soap. I use a soap gun but you could just keep dipping it in a bucket or spray soapy water on it with a spray bottle. You won't believe how smooth and clean the paint will look and it's almost effortless compared to real clay. I used this method once on a car and haven't looked back since. It's the only way to fly.

AeroCleanse
03-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Maybe the stuff is etched into the paint, in which case you need to polish it.

BillyJack
03-30-2014, 09:11 AM
I had one a few years ago that was a real project, having been parked unused under a large pine tree. First pass was with soapy water and a Clay Magic red bar. Second pass was with a Clay Magic blue bar and GG Speed Shine, for a noticeable improvement.
Only after a final pass with DG501 on a Meg's yellow pad did it finally look respectable to me. IMO, a clay bar does a great job of shaving contaminants off the surface, but to get the paint really clean, you need something capable of getting into all the microscopic hollows of a less than perfectly flat surface. There's a lot of dedicated paint cleaners on the market, but DG501 works well enough for me that it's my go-to for a neglected vehicle.

Bill

tcrummitt87
03-30-2014, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't press down, I doubt you washed the car wrong. Clay works by friction not pressure, the more passes the more it will remove. I would recommend taking your time and using plenty of lube and just make sure you knead the clay a lot!