PDA

View Full Version : Removing White Bits

JFR121
07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
My first post to this informative site. My car has some white bits on the bottom of the front fender and doors that looks like lane marking material. It is stuck like glue and nothing I have tried takes it off. Does anyone know what will remove this crap? Thanks, John

6LS2
07-15-2007, 11:16 AM
What have you tried exactly? And do you have pics?

Al-53
07-15-2007, 11:24 AM
lane paint is some pretty tuff stuff...some times clay will not remove it....I have good luck using prep sol paint prep ...it works most times...but not a easy job if the paint is the epoxy type...

Buffing it with a heavy polish is tricky...it a glob breaks off and sticks to the pad..you have some serious marring and a worse job ahead....

try prep sol...get at a body shop supply...and keep at it...

Al

Tex Star Detail
07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
agree. Start from the least abrasive and go from there.

Maybe clay
then maybe what AL suggested, Prep Sol or All Sol
I have had luck with thinner. Though, if not used properly, will damage the paint. Never let it dry on the paint, and have a bucket of soapy water to wash the thinner off the paint.

If they are big blobs, sticking up from the paint, try picking them off. Plastic razor blade or credit card edge.

Make sure after you finish to top it off with at least a wax....

ScottB
07-15-2007, 05:24 PM
you can also pickup 3M Wax and Adhesive remover locally at most Pepboys. Usually as good as Prepsol and Acysol and far easier to get on a weekend.

P1et
07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Can you take a picture of what you're referring to? It sounds like perhaps an aggressive clay could take care of it. I would try that first before trying anything else.

JFR121
07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions for removing the lane marking material. I took your advice and it took a combination of using a credit card and hitting it with some wax and grease remover to get the stuff off. A quick polish and wax and the car looks new again. Of course the camera batteries were dead, otherwise there would have been pictures of the before and after. I had never used a credit card on a vehicles paintwork before so even though it sounded scary at first, it did less scratching then I expected. Thanks again for helping this neophyte figure this mess out. John:cheers: