PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Grifffx4
03-28-2014, 01:01 PM
How does this selection sound for a minimum swirled 2013 Silver paint? This will be my virgin run on a DAP...

In order:
- Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 w/white pads
- Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion w/green pads
- Collinite 845 w/Red pads

Is this a decent selection and the correct order of usage?

Thanks

arisking
03-28-2014, 01:05 PM
What car? Silver paint doesn't help in determining whether or not the paint is hard or soft. Or is it the truck in your avatar?

Post year, make and model and people might be able to say, "yeah, perfect it has soft paint." Or, "you'll need Uber Compound, that paint is hard."

03-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Looks good but may want to add WG TSR in case WG FG doesn't do the trick :props:

Desertnate
03-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Looks good but may want to add WG TSR in case WG FG doesn't do the trick :props:

This would be my vote. Probably no need to go all the way to a compound, but I know I'm more comfortable having something a little stronger to fall back on in case the finishing polish doesn't do the trick.

Grifffx4
03-28-2014, 01:13 PM
What car? Silver paint doesn't help in determining whether or not the paint is hard or soft. Or is it the truck in your avatar?

Post year, make and model and people might be able to say, "yeah, perfect it has soft paint." Or, "you'll need Uber Compound, that paint is hard."

Sorry, yes it's the truck. 2013 F150 4door FX4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanmycorolla
03-28-2014, 01:13 PM
What will tell you best about any of that is a test spot with pads and polish combos. Once you test out, you may not even need something so aggressive. :)

Grifffx4
03-28-2014, 01:14 PM
I was also thinking about Meg's #9 Instead of the WG...

So many choices, so little experience

Grifffx4
03-28-2014, 01:20 PM

I was studied the Polish Comp Chart and was thinking the WG TSR was too much @level 7 "heavy swirl" grade. Just by looking I don't the paint is that swirled but I suppose I may as well get it...

Desertnate
03-28-2014, 04:02 PM
I was also thinking about Meg's #9 Instead of the WG...

So many choices, so little experience

I was in your position last year. I started with Meguairs Ultimate Compund and Ultimate Polish. After doing all of my cars a couple times with those products and getting a good feel for the whole process and what to look for while working, I'm branching out to new products.

Both are pretty simple to use, safe on just about every surface, and produce great results. The fact they are cheap and easily found everywhere is an added bonus.

conquistador
03-28-2014, 04:16 PM
Why not follow the advice given above? A test spot will tell you what you need/ which combo works the best. We can guess all day online. Each vehicle is different. Paint system, model, year, when it was produced, color, what plant it was manufactuered in, paint defects, etc...

What works for one person may not work for another. Detailing/ paint correction is an art form not a science.