PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna FG400: how to really use it

sansa
03-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi everyone.
I'd need just quick suggestions about this product that I know you know really much. This is a two steps (I'd say multiple steps) product which allows you to start from a really bad situation and carries you to a medium-high gloss surface. I think it is a special product and I guess you can't act like you are working with a regular product

1. First of all: is that a pad-dependent product? can I remove P2000 sandpaper scratches (which is 1000 on USA nomenclature) just by using a medium or coarse pad and then switch to the fine pad to get a good gloss??

2. Do I have to work faster and for a longer time than the regular products with this (or viceversa)?

3. something more to say about that?

Thanks very much autogeek experts ;)

Mike Phillips
03-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone.
I'd need just quick suggestions about this product that I know you know really much. This is a two steps (I'd say multiple steps) product which allows you to start from a really bad situation and carries you to a medium-high gloss surface. I think it is a special product and I guess you can't act like you are working with a regular product

1. First of all: is that a pad-dependent product? can I remove P2000 sandpaper scratches (which is 1000 on USA nomenclature) just by using a medium or coarse pad and then switch to the fine pad to get a good gloss??

Menzerna FG 400 is NOT pad dependent. You can use it with pretty much any buffing pad, any tool and even by hand.

As far as what type of pad to use to remove #1000 grit sanding marks my guess is you'll want a heavy cut wool pad on a rotary buffer.

If it were me, I would re-sand and try to finish out at around #2000 as it will be a lot easier and faster to remove #2000 grit sanding marks with FG 400 than #1000 grit sanding marks.

2. Do I have to work faster and for a longer time than the regular products with this (or viceversa)?

If by the word faster you mean move the polisher over the paint fast or faster than normal I would say "no". There are times when you can and do want to use a polisher faster over the surface, usually a rotary buffer, but it all depends on what you're trying to do.

In most cases, with a heavy cut compound like FG 400 you will want to move your polisher slowly over the paint.

3. something more to say about that?

What type of tool are you using with the FG 400

What type of detailing work are you doing?

:)

sansa
03-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Menzerna FG 400 is NOT pad dependent. You can use it with pretty much any buffing pad, any tool and even by hand.

What type of tool are you using with the FG 400
What type of detailing work are you doing?

I'm using a flex 3401 for a refinishing work. Do you think I can use first a wool pad and then a medium pad?
Does it make sense to use a soft pad with this product?

In other words: Can you tell me what's the different result that I get when I use a soft, a medium, coarse, a microfiber or a wool pad?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Have you read through my mini article on the 3401 and Menzerna products?

Some good info on speed and how many passes to make.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

Pureshine
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
I key to FG 400 is letting breaking down enough that the mistake most people make. You have to work it long than 105 and 205 until it almost turns clear.

sansa
03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
I key to FG 400 is letting breaking down enough that the mistake most people make. You have to work it long than 105 and 205 until it almost turns clear.

good point! Thanks!