PDA

View Full Version : The right Rupes for me? Duetto or 21?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

58Eldorado
03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Hi,
I´m following this forum for a while now and I have decided that I want to buy my first really good polisher.
I´m an enthusiast and have a small collection of Cadillacs and Lincolns ranging from 1958 to 1978.
Most of my cars still have their original paint which is single stage paint.
I always keep my cars exceptionally clean and they have very very little swirl marks or scratches.
Now time has come to step up and make my cars even better and I want to invest in a Rupes polisher, but I just can´t decide which one I should get? I can definitely only buy one - no chance to buy another one.

My cars have some big flat panels but there are also a lot of curved areas and tail fins I have to polish. If I had the money I would buy a 21 and the 75 - but that won't happen.

I need the polisher mainly to keep my personal fleet of 7 classic cars in perfect shape and to polish another 2-3 Cadillacs I resell a year. I only buy cars with original paint.

So now I would be interested in you opinion - which one should I get? 21 or the new 12?
Your thoughts and tips are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Gerald

btw - you can see my cars here:
Gerald Loidl´s Cadillac Website - everything about the 1967 and 1958 Cadillac Eldorado (http://www.eldorado-seville.com)

Detail_Workx
03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
You can't go wrong with either one. But since you mentioned that you will be using this with your personal fleet of vehicles with big panels and curved areas, I would personally go with Rupes 21. This way your able to use the 6" backing plate and have the option to use a 5" backing plate as well.

58Eldorado
03-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your tip! I'll think about it over the weekend and place my order next week. Tough decision...

Detail_Workx
03-28-2014, 09:46 PM
It is, I remembered when I was deciding between Rupes 21 and Flex 3401. I end up buying both lol.

custmsprty
03-28-2014, 10:41 PM
I'd go with the Duetto, which I just bought myself then you can by a griots 3" with the extra money for the tight spots. The Duetto is a great tool. (I have an LHR 15 to compare it to)

Bunky
03-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Unless you plan to buy more than one machine, I would suggest getting the Duetto since it can be used in in tighter spaces.

58Eldorado
03-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks everybody!
Can I get the same paint correction results with the Duetto as with the 21?
I would lean towards the 21 but I agree that the Duetto might be the polisher which would make more sense for me? If I can get the same results I will probably get the Duetto Deluxe kit...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks everybody!
Can I get the same paint correction results with the Duetto as with the 21?

No.

If you plan on using 5" pads, go with the LHR15. When using a 5" backing plate on the LHR21 with 5" foam pads, it's not very smooth. 5" MF pads work great, however.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2014, 09:53 AM
whoops

58Eldorado
03-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Ah o.k! Thanks!
I assumed that I could get the same results with the Duetto, but that it would only take a little longer...
If I cant get my paint as good as with the 21 I wont buy the Duetto... My goal is to get the paint as flawless as possible, no matter how long I have to polish...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Ah o.k! Thanks!
I assumed that I could get the same results with the Duetto, but that it would only take a little longer...
If I cant get my paint as good as with the 21 I wont buy the Duetto... My goal is to get the paint as flawless as possible, no matter how long I have to polish...
Plus, the 21 will keep the pad spinning much better when you use pressure. The Duetto has a "sweet spot" to keep the pad moving. Any tilting, the pad will slow down or stop. The LHR15 is a good compromise between the Duetto and 21. The 15 will be the smoothest with 5" pads. I still prefer the 21 over all of them, but then again, I have some good experience. ;)

AeroCleanse
03-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I would suggest the 21 and the backing plate from the 15.

Bunky
03-30-2014, 01:44 PM
No.

Do you think the Duetto cannot finish as well as the 21? Or, are you just referring to total correction time if needed?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Do you think the Duetto cannot finish as well as the 21?
Absolutely.

I was referring to correction time.

FWIW, The LHR21 smokes the Duetto as far as keeping the pad rotating.

Bunky
03-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Absolutely.

I was referring to correction time.

FWIW, The LHR21 smokes the Duetto as far as keeping the pad rotating.

I was just highlighting they both can do the job. The Rupes 21 can do it quicker. For an enthusiast that wants to spread waxes/sealants, paint cleaners, deal with some tight spots, etc. and not working on hammered cars all the time the Duetto can make more sense.