PDA

View Full Version : The right Rupes for me? Duetto or 21?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I was just highlighting they both can do the job. The Rupes 21 can do it quicker. For an enthusiast that wants to spread waxes/sealants, paint cleaners, deal with some tight spots, etc. and not working on hammered cars all the time the Duetto can make more sense.

I'm not so sure that it's strictly a matter of time. Also, I feel the Duetto takes very good technique to get the best results. I think the LHR15 is the perfect machine for an enthusiast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58Eldorado
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Ok - thanks everybody - I´m going to order a Rupes 21 + an additional 5" backing plate tomorrow.
Maybe I can invest in a cheaper 3" polisher (no Rupes) sometimes in the future for the tighter spots. Lets see how far I get with the 21...
Very difficult decision so far... ;-)

Venza
03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm not so sure that it's strictly a matter of time. Also, I feel the Duetto takes very good technique to get the best results. I think the LHR15 is the perfect machine for an enthusiast.

Hello fellow geeks!

I'm new into the detailing world and have acquire great knowledge through the forum. I'm also debating between the Rupes polishers and must say that this thread has help me lots on narrowing down my decision. This will be my first polisher and wil be the first time I ever touch one.

I was debating between the Duetto and the 15es. From what I have read and watch through the different videos it seems as if the 15es is much smoother and easier to use. I drive a crossover which for the most parts has big wide panels and IMO making the 21 the ideal one to go for. But, having no background nor experience will give me an uncomforted on going with the 21.

After reading this thread I'm leaning more towards the 15. Though I have seen articles in regard to people complain gas it may buckle down under some circumstances ( which by what I have read it seems to be user error as to much pressure is apply to the machine) and that the power word isn't the best of things. Are all the cords across the rupes line the same?

Thank you for the input.

-fil

Mike Phillips
03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi,
I´m following this forum for a while now and I have decided that I want to buy my first really good polisher.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I´m an enthusiast and have a small collection of Cadillacs and Lincolns ranging from 1958 to 1978.

Love the classic Caddies.... I've owned five 1959 Cadillacs and two 1960's, I kind of like the big fins.

I used to tow my drag boat to the lake with a convertible 1959 Caddy...

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/516/1970_Sanger_V_-Drive-Drag_Boat_013.jpg

Most of my cars still have their original paint which is single stage paint.

Hope you're treating them with some #7 for a maintenance polish, if not consider it....

I always keep my cars exceptionally clean and they have very very little swirl marks or scratches.

If they are in very good condition then you shouldn't have to do too much polishing and the Rupes polishers can handle your projects with no problem.

I'd highly recommend sticking with the Rupes foam pads and chemicals. For correction work on the single stage paint take a look at the green polishing pads and the Quarz Gloss Medium Cut Polish.

Quarz Gloss - Medium Cut Polish - Green Lid & Green Foam Pad
Quarz Gloss is engineered to be used with the medium aggressive green foam polishing pad to remove medium depth below surface paint defects while polishing out to a clear, high gloss finish. Quarz Gloss is aggressive enough to remove down to P2500 sanding marks.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1739/Rupes_21_030.jpg

Lots of pictures of the 21, pads and products here,

The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/60442-rupes-lhr21es-random-orbit-polisher-polishing-system-mike-phillips.html)

Mike Phillips
03-31-2014, 12:10 PM
You like the M16 I see....

http://www.eldorado-seville.com/resources/2014-News/78detailing-BG-IMG_4341.jpg

This is a traditional "Hard Wax" or "Heavy Wax". Be sure to apply a thin coat and you'll be okay... I used this stuff for years when I detailed cars full time. This was long before we had all the choices we have today.

58Eldorado
03-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Love the classic Caddies.... I've owned five 1959 Cadillacs and two 1960's, I kind of like the big fins.

I used to tow my drag boat to the lake with a convertible 1959 Caddy...

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/516/1970_Sanger_V_-Drive-Drag_Boat_013.jpg

Wow - great picture! Good to know that you had a couple of Cadillacs as well! So you know what I´m facing when it comes to cleaning these beasts.
Thanks for taking the time to chime in to this thread. Your opinion matters a lot to me!
I think I have spent numeral hours on this fantastic forum and watched a lot of your videos on youtube during the last week. I wished I would have found these videos earlier!

As you now know my situation and I have not hit the order button yet - which one would you order?

You have worked with all the Rupes polishers and know them really well. I have read that you are a big fan of the Duetto - but would you want it as your only polisher?

Hope you're treating them with some #7 for a maintenance polish, if not consider it....

Yes #7 is in my arsenal of products - great stuff. Thanks for the tip!

If they are in very good condition then you shouldn't have to do too much polishing and the Rupes polishers can handle your projects with no problem.

The paint on my cars is really good - some swirls here and there, only my black 71 Lincoln will need some more serious correction soon - but I will buy about 2-3 car a year to resell them and there could sometimes be some more serious paint correction be necessary.

I'd highly recommend sticking with the Rupes foam pads and chemicals. For correction work on the single stage paint take a look at the green polishing pads and the Quarz Gloss Medium Cut Polish.

Thanks for the tip! Great to know! I was also thinking of getting some microfiber pads. My local Meguiars guy is selling a complete set of Meguiars products for the Rupes 21...

Thanks again for your detailed feedback, the pictures and the links - its highly appreciated!
Keep up the great work you are doing for all of us!:xyxthumbs:

58Eldorado
03-31-2014, 01:36 PM
You like the M16 I see....

This is a traditional "Hard Wax" or "Heavy Wax". Be sure to apply a thin coat and you'll be okay... I used this stuff for years when I detailed cars full time. This was long before we had all the choices we have today.
Thanks for your feedback! I use a couple of waxes like the Gold Class Line and the NXT series - but somehow I like M16 very much. It was recommended to me by the local Meguiars office.

Bunky
03-31-2014, 06:03 PM
One would think that no one could get show car results with anything but a Rupes. It is not the tool but the person using it and for many years many have got great results with less powerful machines albeit slower and more steps.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Hello fellow geeks!

I'm new into the detailing world and have acquire great knowledge through the forum. I'm also debating between the Rupes polishers and must say that this thread has help me lots on narrowing down my decision. This will be my first polisher and wil be the first time I ever touch one.

I was debating between the Duetto and the 15es. From what I have read and watch through the different videos it seems as if the 15es is much smoother and easier to use. I drive a crossover which for the most parts has big wide panels and IMO making the 21 the ideal one to go for. But, having no background nor experience will give me an uncomforted on going with the 21.

After reading this thread I'm leaning more towards the 15. Though I have seen articles in regard to people complain gas it may buckle down under some circumstances ( which by what I have read it seems to be user error as to much pressure is apply to the machine) and that the power word isn't the best of things. Are all the cords across the rupes line the same?

Thank you for the input.

-fil

Welcome!!!

All RUPES machines are outstanding! I think you'd really like the LHR15! If you have big, wide panels, even better! The 21 and 15 are both smooth! However, to be the smoothest, it's best to use the recommended pad size for each machine. The 21 is smoothest with its 6" backing plate and 6"-7" pads, while the 15 is smoothest with its 5" backing plate 5"-6" pads. A lot of guys(including myself) use a 5" backing plate with 5"-6" pads on the 21, but it loses some smoothness. It will still get the job done the exact same, just maybe not quite as comfortable(still not bad).

Venza
04-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Welcome!!!

All RUPES machines are outstanding! I think you'd really like the LHR15! If you have big, wide panels, even better! The 21 and 15 are both smooth! However, to be the smoothest, it's best to use the recommended pad size for each machine. The 21 is smoothest with its 6" backing plate and 6"-7" pads, while the 15 is smoothest with its 5" backing plate 5"-6" pads. A lot of guys(including myself) use a 5" backing plate with 5"-6" pads on the 21, but it loses some smoothness. It will still get the job done the exact same, just maybe not quite as comfortable(still not bad).

5.0 thank you for the feed back really appreciated, your experience and knowledge speaks volume to newbies like me. I'm going to end up pulling the trigger on the 21 with the 5" backing plate, it's like getting to machines in one! Just have to practice on my technique. What pads would you recommend? I'm reading that the Rupes pads are the best ones for Rupes machines, but these can get pricey. It seems like to Lake country pads have a good reputation to. I guess my question is, what brand and model would you recommend for the machine on bother the 6" and 5" backing plates? Also any recommendations on compounds and polishes? So far I have menzerna on my shopping list, they seem to come highly recommended by many throughout the forum.

Once again thank you for your input.

-fil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Wow - great picture!

Thanks... I too really like this picture and somewhere I have pictures of my convertible 1959 launching my drag boat at Dexter Reservoir when I was racing it. I'm wearing my race suit, helmet, etc., and sitting in the boat while my driver is preparing to back me down to the water and launch the boat. Per racing rules, the driver must be seated in the boat at the time of launch while others handle the actual launching.

Thanks for the tip! Great to know! I was also thinking of getting some microfiber pads. My local Meguiars guy is selling a complete set of Meguiars products for the Rupes 21...

I don't use a lot of microfiber pads. I know some guys really like them but I don't do production detailing and the potential exists for each fiber to cut the paint. That's good for correction work by walking backwards in the process when doing finishing work. Plus l like the give or cushion provided by foam while buffing.

The key to effective correction work with foam pads is to have plenty of foam pads and simply switch to a clean dry foam pad sooner than later.

As you now know my situation and I have not hit the order button yet - which one would you order?

You have worked with all the Rupes polishers and know them really well. I have read that you are a big fan of the Duetto - but would you want it as your only polisher?

No but I don't preach or teach to have just one polisher. That's like a pro mechanic having just a Crescent wrench... good luck getting a set of 6-point head bolts off a BBC or any engine.

If I had to reduce my tool collection down to just two tools I would opt for a Flex PE14 rotary buffer and a Porter Cable 7424XP. I can do EVERYTHING with just these two tools, including machine sanding like I'm getting ready to do to this car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/66119-jay-s-new-muscle-car-projects-wetsand-cut-buff.html).

But that's a fantasy world because I don't have to limit myself to just two tools. I like the Flex 3401 for doing production detailing on boats and cars and I like the Rupes Bigfoot 21 and Duetto for long orbit stroke dual action polishers. I also NEED the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher because this tool is without a doubt one of the most vital tools needed for any full wetsand, cut and buff job. It is hands down the best way to sand thin panels or sand right along an edge or a raised body line because it's so easy to control thus no whoops. Hand sanding is too archaic and it takes much longer to remove hand sanding marks as compared to machine sanding marks and you also remove too much paint off the car when you hand sand as compared to machine sanding.

So I'm not really the best guy to ask if I could only have one tool what would it be. Detailing cars and teaching others how to detail cars is my thing in life and I like machines.

That said, if I were in your shoes and had to pick only one tools to buff out your personal cars and the cars you buy to flip, I would opt for a Flex 3401 and get the Lake Country 4" backing plate and the Lake Country 5" Hybrid pads.

The pad won't stop spinning no matter what you do, how you hold the tool or any design of panel you have to buff. For this reason you can do production work or the correction step of show car work faster without the risk of instilling holograms or burning through the paint like is possible with a rotary buffer.

The smaller diameter pads remove most of the walking-effect some others will speak negatively about but what I always say is the walking effect is a characteristic of the tool that teaches you you're not holding the pad flat. But again, by going with the 5" pads it's really not an issue. Lots of power with the Flex 3401.

If you want the Rupes polisher, then I would go for either a Bigfoot 21 or a Duetto. The reason I like the Duetto is because it has the body design of the Porter Cable and I like this design. It's a personal preference thing. Easy to hold, compact in size, lightweight, etc.

I'd like to see a Duetto with a 21mm orbit length stroke with 5" pads, I think that would be the best of all worlds but I'm not an engineer so I don't know if a tool of this design would work. I like correction power of the 21 but the size and shape of the Duetto. Go figure?

For some projects, the Bigfoot 21, 15, Duetto and Mini are perfect. Take a look at what we predominantly used to tackle this huge project....

Meguiar's Big Rig Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/77731-meguiar-s-big-rig-extreme-makeover-pictures-videos.html)

Wes using a Bigfoot 15

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_096.jpg

Jeff using a Duetto...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_093.jpg

Antti using a Rupes Mini

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_132.jpg

Me using a Bigfoot 21

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_138.jpg

So it's nice to have choices. If you have to limit yourself to just a single tool, then do what you're doing, start a thread like this and get as much feedback as possible before you pull the trigger...

Thanks again for your detailed feedback, the pictures and the links - its highly appreciated!

Keep up the great work you are doing for all of us!:xyxthumbs:

You're very welcome. I don't know if my above answers helped at all but I'm sure when you make you're decision it will be right.

:)

Mike Phillips
04-01-2014, 08:05 AM
It is not the tool but the person using it and for many years many have got great results with less powerful machines albeit slower and more steps.

Very well said Al.

The Porter Cable was introduced to the paint polishing world sometime in the late 1980's as best as I can remember and since then MILLIONS of cars have been de-swirled using only this simple tool, a couple of types of foam pads and a couple of polishes.

:)

Goleafsgo
04-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I've been trying to decide on the same thing right now as well. I actually own a PC 7336 and a Flex 3401 as well. I always found the 3401 kind of difficult to use and once Meguiars introduced their MF pads I actually went back to using the 7336 again.

I'm kind of tempted by what everyone says about the Rupes machines having so much less vibration, noise and what interests me the most is not having to use a lot of pressure.

Is the Duetto the same as the 15 and 21 where you don't have to use a lot of downward pressure to produce results?

2old2change
04-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I have the 21 and the LHR75. IMO a fantastic combination. I use the 5" bp on my 21 and after a year of cars I don't regret my selection. I partner with a member who also has the 15 and it does the job but it just takes a little longer. My Griots 6" and 3" along with my PC and Megs machines are gathering dust .

Venza
04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
I have the 21 and the LHR75. IMO a fantastic combination. I use the 5" bp on my 21 and after a year of cars I don't regret my selection. I partner with a member who also has the 15 and it does the job but it just takes a little longer. My Griots 6" and 3" along with my PC and Megs machines are gathering dust .

Thank you for the input... I'm getting the rupes 21 model with the 5" backing plate and plan on getting the LHR75 on the future...may I ask, what types of pads are you using on the 5" plate for the 21?