PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding fresh paint

DylansDetailing
03-28-2014, 03:00 AM
Tomorrow we will be getting my parents 2007 Acura MDX back from the body shop. The whole front end (bumper, windshield, hood, fenders, headlights, fog/DRL housing, grill), roof, mirrors, and B-pillars were damaged by a million pieces of shattered glass that fell off another truck on the highway. Then a week later getting rear-ended at a stop light smashing the rear bumper along with all attached plastic trim and back-up sensors. Thankfully, my family was not injured in both situations.

From what I have read, paint has a cute time of about 90 days (correct me if I'm wrong).
My questions:
1) what products (listed below) are safe to use to wash the paint?
2) is it okay to still do weekly washes?
3) should I wait longer before applying a coating to the paint?
4) how long should I wait to compound/polish?

For soaps, I have CG honeydew, wash & gloss, Maxi Suds II, and Glossworks. I also have ONR with wax that I can dilute for a rinseless wash.

Flash Gordon
03-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Tomorrow we will be getting my parents 2007 Acura MDX back from the body shop. The whole front end (bumper, windshield, hood, fenders, headlights, fog/DRL housing, grill), roof, mirrors, and B-pillars were damaged by a million pieces of shattered glass that fell off another truck on the highway. Then a week later getting rear-ended at a stop light smashing the rear bumper along with all attached plastic trim and back-up sensors. Thankfully, my family was not injured in both situations.

From what I have read, paint has a cute time of about 90 days (correct me if I'm wrong).
My questions:
1) what products (listed below) are safe to use to wash the paint?
2) is it okay to still do weekly washes?
3) should I wait longer before applying a coating to the paint?
4) how long should I wait to compound/polish?

For soaps, I have CG honeydew, wash & gloss, Maxi Suds II, and Glossworks. I also have ONR with wax that I can dilute for a rinseless wash.

1) You can use whatever you wish to wash. They probably used Lux laundry detergent @ the body shop

2) Yes

3) No. 90 days is plenty of time

4) You can compound or polish immediately. You just don't want to seal the paint

Anything else?

Skimmer0220
03-28-2014, 05:45 AM
You can compound and polish just need to use body shop safe products

Sent from space through a satellite

DylansDetailing
03-28-2014, 05:50 AM
1) You can use whatever you wish to wash. They probably used Lux laundry detergent @ the body shop

2) Yes

3) No. 90 days is plenty of time

4) You can compound or polish immediately. You just don't want to seal the paint

Anything else?

thank you for the reply.
just to clarify, using the ONR with wax is safe to use?

Flash Gordon
03-28-2014, 05:52 AM
thank you for the reply.
just to clarify, using the ONR with wax is safe to use?

Yessir :dblthumb2:

DylansDetailing
03-28-2014, 05:53 AM
You can compound and polish just need to use body shop safe products

Sent from space through a satellite

I have FG400 and SF4000. Are those safe to use?

rmagnus
03-28-2014, 08:58 AM
I would want to know where you live and what paint process is being used before providing an opinion.

I'm in CA we have long ago stopped using solvent based paints where most of the advise above is directed to. With water based paint and clear coat systems you can throw the old rule book out. The paint is cured with infrared lamps. The body shop guys will buff and wax it before it leaves the shop.

Curing is different than drying. Curing works fron the inside out. Drying from the outside in which is why you don't seal the outer layer. It allows the paint to breath and out gass any trapped solvents.

Much of the US uses water based painting systems. Check with your body shop for instructions.

DylansDetailing
03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
I would want to know where you live and what paint process is being used before providing an opinion.

I'm in CA we have long ago stopped using solvent based paints where most of the advise above is directed to. With water based paint and clear coat systems you can throw the old rule book out. The paint is cured with infrared lamps. The body shop guys will buff and wax it before it leaves the shop.

Curing is different than drying. Curing works fron the inside out. Drying from the outside in which is why you don't seal the outer layer. It allows the paint to breath and out gass any trapped solvents.

Much of the US uses water based painting systems. Check with your body shop for instructions.

I live in Hawaii. The shop doing the work usually only does contracted work from the state and rental car companies. It's a family friends shop so they offered to help us out with repair price

rmagnus
03-28-2014, 09:05 PM
I believe you'll find shops that paint with water and solvent based paints in Hawaii. You should check with them to be sure. Most paint shops will tell you how to care for their work.

Hazcat
03-28-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure I'd use ONR Wash and Wax or Wash and Shine. They both have products that seal the paint. Just use a regular car wash soap and water until the off gassing has finished. I'd ask the painter since he/she knows specifically what was used as rmagnus has suggested.