PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this?

EVOlved
03-28-2014, 01:46 AM
I recieved a lovely bunch of nics in my passenger rear door while parked at work. All I have on hand at this point is the touch up marker from the dealer, my polisher, and detailing supplies. I was thinking of filling it with the touch up paint, then lightly wet sanding, then compound it out with fg400, then finish it. Obviously allowing a cure time in between the touch up and the polishing. Here is how it looks:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/_ebaypics_2006/f93fa1a6dc7b0f55dc69b05308f321c3.jpg

Any and all help is appreciated TIA.

Flash Gordon
03-28-2014, 05:36 AM
I recieved a lovely bunch of nics in my passenger rear door while parked at work. All I have on hand at this point is the touch up marker from the dealer, my polisher, and detailing supplies. I was thinking of filling it with the touch up paint, then lightly wet sanding, then compound it out with fg400, then finish it. Obviously allowing a cure time in between the touch up and the polishing. Here is how it looks:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/_ebaypics_2006/f93fa1a6dc7b0f55dc69b05308f321c3.jpg

If I couldn't afford a repaint I would glob touchup paint onto the area (after cleaning thoroughly first) Allow 24-48hrs then wetsand / polish and hope for the best

Are you sure those spots need paint. Does it catch with your fingernail?

rmagnus
03-28-2014, 08:48 AM

That's a solid plan. Hard to tell but looks like some are down to primer or even bare metal. If so get some touch up primer to layer in before the color coat. They even have clear coat pens you can use after the color coat drys. Then sand and clear, compound, polish, wax and call it a day.

Should come out pretty darn good if you take your time.

The reason for using primer is so you don't wind up with 15 coats of color to fill the scratch making the color coat darker than the panel. 5 coats or layers is ample. I like using a fine tip modelers paint brush for dings like these. Even tooth picks can help wedge paint in but be careful of putting too much in at once.

GenesisCoupe
03-28-2014, 08:56 AM
You are right on the money with your thought process. Should work just fine.

I am going to do the same for my dings i got from idiots. LOL

EVOlved
03-28-2014, 10:45 AM
If I couldn't afford a repaint I would glob touchup paint onto the area (after cleaning thoroughly first) Allow 24-48hrs then wetsand / polish and hope for the best

Are you sure those spots need paint. Does it catch with your fingernail?

Yes I can feel every one of them. Thanks for the advice guys.

KillaCam
03-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Man I'm sorry to see that! How does that even happen? Careless people.

Flash Gordon
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Whatever you do don't apply the clear coat they supply. That will ruin your color match for sure

EVOlved
03-29-2014, 01:02 AM
Whatever you do don't apply the clear coat they supply. That will ruin your color match for sure

Thank you flash I was debating on using that end of the marker or not.

CowboyTruckn
03-29-2014, 01:45 AM
I'd be getting the security tapes if your job has them. I ALWAYS take note of what cars were there when I parked in case I would need to make a police report. As far as how to correct it, you might try Dr color chip. I hear it is pretty good

EVOlved
03-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Even if I found out what good is a police report to me? It's going to be under my insurance deductible to repair.