PDA

View Full Version : Megs 21 + wax w/ DA

Chones
03-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi All,

First post. Just wanted to thank y'all for all the great info on the forums. It's helped tremendously.

Anyway, this weekend I plan do do some light corrective work on my less than a year old civic. Light swirls, nothing too bad. With my DA, I plan on using a black pad with megs UP. Since the paint is in good shape, I think that combo should work well--though this is my first time using a DA, so if anyone has suggestions, I'd certainly entertain them!

After I do the polishing step, I plan on using megs 21. I have always used this product as my lsp prior to purchasing a DA.

Two questions:
1) is that product (megs 21) ok to be used w/ a DA w/ white pad?
2) since I bought a DA, I figured I might as well go all out. After applying the megs 21, can I also apply something like blackfire wet diamond on top of the sealant? Would it be advisable to wait a period of time for the sealant to cure? Red pad for this?

Ok, that was more than two questions, sorry. Thanks in advance for reading and any tips y'all might be able to offer.

Cheers.

Mike Phillips
03-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Hi All,

Two questions:

1) is that product (megs 21) ok to be used w/ a DA w/ white pad?

If you're pre-polishing, then use your softest pad to apply the M21.

When you say "white pad", I'm assuming you're talking about the pad that came with the Porter Cable?

If so, it's more aggressive than either the Meguiar's black finishing pad or the Lake Country black finishing pad. (You didn't mention the brand?).

Point being, to polish with a finishing pad and then apply M21 with a polishing pad would be what I call....

Working backwards...

You would be better to apply the polish with the factory PC white pad and then apply the wax with the black finishing pad.

2) since I bought a DA, I figured I might as well go all out. After applying the megs 21, can I also apply something like blackfire wet diamond on top of the sealant? Would it be advisable to wait a period of time for the sealant to cure? Red pad for this?

What you're talking about doing is called topping and you would be good to go with this combo.

M21 has some light cleaners while the BlackFire Wet Diamond has no cleaners. So applying Wet Diamond over M21 would be correct.

Applying M21 over Wet Diamond and the M21 would probably remove the Wet Diamond and "yes" use the softest pad possible, no need to make a lot of passes and wait at least 12 hours AFTER wiping the M21 off the paint to allow all the protection ingredients in the M21 to do their magic in the way of bonding, adhering, drying, polymerizing, crosslinking, setting-up, etc. etc.

Ok, that was more than two questions, sorry. Thanks in advance for reading and any tips y'all might be able to offer.

Cheers.

I have a ton of articles for the PC, Google,

Car Detailing Article by Mike Phillips

Big picture is high speed, that is the 5-6 speed setting on a PC to apply the Ultimate Polish.

The 4-5 speed setting to apply the waxes.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Last week we did something similar in that we machine applied M20 using finishing pads and Rupes polishers....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_098.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_094.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2326/Meguiars_Truck_Detailed_at_Autogeek_116.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
03-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Here's an article on the white pad that comes with the Porter Cable....

The white foam pad that comes with a Porter Cable Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/50479-white-foam-pad-comes-porter-cable-polisher.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/811/PCWhitePad003.jpg

Lots of good info in the article that you'll need in the future....

The white foam pad that comes with a Porter Cable Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/50479-white-foam-pad-comes-porter-cable-polisher.html)

Chones
03-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

If you're pre-polishing, then use your softest pad to apply the M21.

When you say "white pad", I'm assuming you're talking about the pad that came with the Porter Cable?

If so, it's more aggressive than either the Meguiar's black finishing pad or the Lake Country black finishing pad. (You didn't mention the brand?).

Point being, to polish with a finishing pad and then apply M21 with a polishing pad would be what I call....

Working backwards...

You would be better to apply the polish with the factory PC white pad and then apply the wax with the black finishing pad.

What you're talking about doing is called topping and you would be good to go with this combo.

M21 has some light cleaners while the BlackFire Wet Diamond has no cleaners. So applying Wet Diamond over M21 would be correct.

Applying M21 over Wet Diamond and the M21 would probably remove the Wet Diamond and "yes" use the softest pad possible, no need to make a lot of passes and wait at least 12 hours AFTER wiping the M21 off the paint to allow all the protection ingredients in the M21 to do their magic in the way of bonding, adhering, drying, polymerizing, crosslinking, setting-up, etc. etc.

I have a ton of articles for the PC, Google,

Car Detailing Article by Mike Phillips

Big picture is high speed, that is the 5-6 speed setting on a PC to apply the Ultimate Polish.

The 4-5 speed setting to apply the waxes.

Should have been clearer, sorry. Got the PCXP w/ new backing plate. The pads I bought thus far are lake country black, white, and red. Black for the UP, white for M21, and red for wet diamond. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for such a quick reply. I've been reading up on all your tutorials and what not. This seems like a pretty great community.

The Guz
03-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Do you have a link to the actual pads you have? Typically a white pad is the polishing pad and the black pad is the finishing pad. So white for UP and black for M21. But a link to what you ordered would help.