PDA

View Full Version : full size pick up vs small pickup

ConeArrow27
03-27-2014, 06:59 AM
Which would be a better detailing rig...a ford ranger or a ford f150? Im not buying anytime soon just looking at trucks and wondered.

HUMP DIESEL
03-27-2014, 07:05 AM
It all depends on how much you are intending to use it and whether or not you will be using the clients water and electricity. The F150 could hold a larger slide out and tank which would allow you to be self-sufficient. The ranger could pull a small trailer with a smaller tank, but it would be limited.

HUMP

ConeArrow27
03-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Well my goal is to be self sufficient

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
03-27-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd go with the full size truck. It will take more abuse longer and better than a smaller size truck and the Ford F150 if properly dolled up and detailed will get you more respect.

Plus a lot more comfortable to sit in and drive.

Just my two cents...

:)

ConeArrow27
03-27-2014, 07:11 AM
I'd go with the full size truck. It will take more abuse longer and better than a smaller size truck and the Ford F150 if properly dolled up and detailed will get you more respect.

Plus a lot more comfortable to sit in and drive.

Just my two cents...

:)

Great points! Thanks man

Shortspark
03-27-2014, 09:33 AM
How about a compromise? There are big trucks and there are small trucks but very few mid-size. I believe GM will soon come out with their Canyon, which is a traditional truck but shrunk, and because it is a little smaller it might be considered "mid-size".

However, the compromise I am speaking of is the Honda Ridgeline, a truck I owned and loved for seven years. Prior to that I had two other "mid-size" trucks, both Dodge Dakotas which are no longer made. The Ridgeline put them to shame in every way. It has enough room for anything and a sealed, locked trunk in the bed which you will praise. Another unique feature for a detailer is a two way tail gate - either open it up and down like a traditional truck or side ways like the old station wagons. It is not only unique but extremely handy when loading and unloading. The truck bed is indistructable and like most Honda's, the reliability is second to none. In seven years I did all the required maintenance myself and had zero problems. It never saw the inside of a service shop for any reason.

The Ridge rides more like a car than a truck and the unibody design works quite well, although it receives the wrath of most "good old boy" truckers who would never consider a unibody vehicle a "real" truck.

Honda has neglected this truck in recent years because, well, quite frankly they are not truck people and have no clue how to market it although they know how to build one. When introduced it became Motor Trends Truck of the Year - by unanimous vote. Ask anyone who has every owned a Ridgeline and they will tell you it is all the truck they need. In fact, except for construction applications, heavy trailer haulers or oil field workers, it is all the truck 90% of us will ever need. Try to get a good used one as they are too expensive brand new and they have not changed much at all since the introduction 2006 model. PS-unlike many traditional trucks today, the Ridgeline fits perfectly in a standard garage!

conquistador
03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Toyota Tacoma best of both worlds. Should be a redesign come 2016. The current generation has been produced since 2005. That should tell you they built something right. And still top dog of the small and mid size truck market. Has one of the highest resale value of any vehicle.

conquistador
03-27-2014, 10:45 AM
How about a compromise? There are big trucks and there are small trucks but very few mid-size. I believe GM will soon come out with their Canyon, which is a traditional truck but shrunk, and because it is a little smaller it might be considered "mid-size".

However, the compromise I am speaking of is the Honda Ridgeline, a truck I owned and loved for seven years. Prior to that I had two other "mid-size" trucks, both Dodge Dakotas which are no longer made. The Ridgeline put them to shame in every way. It has enough room for anything and a sealed, locked trunk in the bed which you will praise. Another unique feature for a detailer is a two way tail gate - either open it up and down like a traditional truck or side ways like the old station wagons. It is not only unique but extremely handy when loading and unloading. The truck bed is indistructable and like most Honda's, the reliability is second to none. In seven years I did all the required maintenance myself and had zero problems. It never saw the inside of a service shop for any reason.

The Ridge rides more like a car than a truck and the unibody design works quite well, although it receives the wrath of most "good old boy" truckers who would never consider a unibody vehicle a "real" truck.

Honda has neglected this truck in recent years because, well, quite frankly they are not truck people and have no clue how to market it although they know how to build one. When introduced it became Motor Trends Truck of the Year - by unanimous vote. Ask anyone who has every owned a Ridgeline and they will tell you it is all the truck they need. In fact, except for construction applications, heavy trailer haulers or oil field workers, it is all the truck 90% of us will ever need. Try to get a good used one as they are too expensive brand new and they have not changed much at all since the introduction 2006 model. PS-unlike many traditional trucks today, the Ridgeline fits perfectly in a standard garage!

Ridgeline what a joke. A minivan with a bed. Lol. To each their own.

Shortspark
03-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Ridgeline what a joke. A minivan with a bed. Lol. To each their own.

A mini-van with a bed? What a great idea!!

Whiplash Willy
03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Unless it has a frame, it isn't a truck. Honestly, the only good "small" or "midsize" truck available in the us is the Tacoma, and maybe Frontier. Ironically they are both Japanese. The new canyon looks promising though

EvolutionDetail
03-27-2014, 12:13 PM
I own a Tacoma for close to a year now.
The only thing i have to complain about is their MPG lol
I think a Ford v8 would give better mpg and performance when you compare to the v6 in the tacomas.

ConeArrow27
03-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Honda is coming out with a re design body on frame ridgeline in two years