PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 21 with non-Rupes pads

Pages : [1] 2 3

nezff
03-26-2014, 08:33 PM
I haven't really seen a thread dedicated to this, but have read different comments on the subject. Ive spoken with a couple forum members that use this machine everyday and have stated that they use Lake Country, Buff and Shine, Megs MF, etc.. pads with this machine without any problems.

My only concern is reading a couple of the same comments from one member that stated some Lake country pads delaminated or actually flew off the machine. Im not sure if this was after a long session where the pad was getting too hot or what.

I understand the stroke of this machine could eat into certain pads and tear them. Im just wondering if Im going to have to sell or trade away all my 5.5 inch Lake Country foam pads and Megs 5 inch cutting discs, which I have a lot of?

Any advice from guys that actually own and use this machine with rupes pads/polishes or NON rupes pads would be GREATLY appreciated.

RawDetail
03-26-2014, 08:50 PM
No, keep them. They work great. I find that my pads don't heat up anywhere near as much as they did on my GG6. I think it's mostly because of the backing plate holes and also the fact you don't have to apply much pressure with the Rupes.

I use Hex Logic, LC and Megs 5 inch cutting pads all day long on mine and they work great.

I also don't know what people are going on about when they say their pads are super hard to get off and can break on the Rupes.. you just need to slowly peel an edge and get your fingers under the pad and they remove just fine.

swanicyouth
03-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Why don't you try the LC pads and see how they work for you, since you already have them?

For me, I have tons of LC pads, but the Rupes foam pads just work better.

nezff
03-26-2014, 09:01 PM
No, keep them. They work great. I find that my pads don't heat up anywhere near as much as they did on my GG6. I think it's mostly because of the backing plate holes and also the fact you don't have to apply much pressure with the Rupes.

I use Hex Logic, LC and Megs 5 inch cutting pads all day long on mine and they work great.

I also don't know what people are going on about when they say their pads are super hard to get off and can break on the Rupes.. you just need to slowly peel an edge and get your fingers under the pad and they remove just fine.

Why don't you try the LC pads and see how they work for you, since you already have them?

For me, I have tons of LC pads, but the Rupes foam pads just work better.

One detailer here stated that he had four LC pads fly off the machine. The fourth one flew off and he hit a Porsche fender and cost him $1600. Im just wondering if this was a freak occurrence?

Kevin Brown stated he has used many different pads with the Rupes machine. No biggy.

RawDetail
03-26-2014, 09:14 PM
One detailer here stated that he had four LC pads fly off the machine. The fourth one flew off and he hit a Porsche fender and cost him $1600. Im just wondering if this was a freak occurrence?

Kevin Brown stated he has used many different pads with the Rupes machine. No biggy.

lol, you're talking about 'Tundra'. He says that every time someone mentions a Rupes machine. Although I've yet to see anyone else post that issue.

Give them a try and just take it easy. Just remember you barely need any pressure at all with the Rupes, if any at all. :xyxthumbs:

nezff
03-26-2014, 09:25 PM
lol, you're talking about 'Tundra'. He says that every time someone mentions a Rupes machine. Although I've yet to see anyone else post that issue.

Give them a try and just take it easy. Just remember you barely need any pressure at all with the Rupes, if any at all. :xyxthumbs:

yep, that's the one.:dblthumb2:

custmsprty
03-26-2014, 10:50 PM

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I tuned him out. I have two Rupes, LHR15 and 12 and run the heck out of LC flat pads. I just recently bought some rupes pads on sale and they are good quality but on a curved vehicle bog down more easily. I'm sticking with LC.

nezff
03-27-2014, 06:06 AM
:iagree::iagree::iagree: I tuned him out. I have two Rupes, LHR15 and 12 and run the heck out of LC flat pads. I just recently bought some rupes pads on sale and they are good quality but on a curved vehicle bog down more easily. I'm sticking with LC.

Zach mentioned that he has never used a rupes pad since he's had the machine. Lol

Mike Phillips
03-27-2014, 06:35 AM
My only concern is reading a couple of the same comments from one member that stated some Lake country pads de-laminated or actually flew off the machine.

We've tried other pads with the Rupes here at Autogeek while doing our project cars and while I don't keep a hard count, I've seen more pad de-laminations using non Rupes pads and for the most part I don't see any de-lamination problem with Rupes pads.

We lost numerous Meguiar's W9207 Black Finishing Pads while using them to machine buff the Meguiar's truck last week and all we used were Rupes polishers.

Certainly not going to speak for other people's experience but this is what I've seen.

I've been VERY impressed with Rupes pads, from the design, foam formulas, hook-n-loop backing material and adhesive technology.

I also spoke first hand with Marco D'Inca about the thickness of the foam pads and he stated everything about their pads are by design.

At the Mobile Tech Expo, in Todd Helm's class on the Rupes polishers he also went on to explain that Rupes didn't just come out with a "tool". They came out with a system.

In my opinion, it's one of the best thought-out systems I've ever seen. Matching the pads and chemicals to the tool. I also like how they labeled their products, in fact it's as though they read my how-to book because in my how-t book I state that all compounds and polishes can be placed into one of 4 categories.

Aggressive Compounds
Medium Cut Polishes
Fine Cut Polishes
Ultra Fine Cut Polishes

(Am I missing anything?)

These are listed on pages 92 and 93 of the second edition of my how-to book.

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine on the Apple iBookstore (http://www.autogeek.net/ibook.html)

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine - Paperback (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)

And Rupes places the same words above directly on the face of the label of each product so their's NO GUESS WORK.

On top of that, they color coded the caps of their compounds and polishes to match the pads they are to be used with.

The cherry on top of the whip cream is that the pads, chemicals, (by chemicals I mean the abrasive technology inside the bottles), and the tools all work as stated.

For anyone reading this that might not own any of the Rupes polishers, Rupes foam buffing pads or Rupes compounds and polishes, if you would like to see them first hand, I took and included lots of in-focus, cropped and resized pictures that will never disappear because they are not hosted on Photobucket in my review here,

The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/60442-rupes-lhr21es-random-orbit-polisher-polishing-system-mike-phillips.html)

Like this...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1739/Rupes_21_032.jpg

Also just to note, I've never seen in my life a foam cutting pad that feels so incredibly coarse to the touch finish out so nice on a scratch-sensitive clear coat paint system with such an aggressive cutting compound as the Rupes blue foam cutting pad and Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse cutting compound.

Even wrote an article about this phenominom....

Mind Blowing - Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/75273-mind-blowing-rupes-blue-foam-cutting-pad-zephir-gloss-coarse-gel-compound.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2239/Rupes_Blue_Foam_Cutting_Pad_0021.jpg

I never really care what pads, products and tools people choose to use as it's your time and money, but the lead engineer behind the Rupes "system" stated that their pads are engineered for the drive action of their tools and chemicals.

So if you find other pads failing on you... maybe consider the engineered approach....

FWIW

Mike lambert
03-27-2014, 06:45 AM
All of your reasons are why we went with the system approach and switched to rupes. Even though I am very good friends with a meguiars rep, we felt after reading everything I could about rupes, this was the way to go.although, I would like a little less dust with zephir?

MshawnBauer
03-27-2014, 06:51 AM
I have yet to try the Rupes pads. I've used my LC and Meg's pads with no issues at all. I actually find them hard to get off of the machine? The complete opposite of "flying off". I am ordering some of the I rupes pads to compare, in the mean time my current supply of pads work great.

parttimer
03-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Rupes used death velcro, pads DON"T want to come off for me. Its like trying to peal a potato with your finger. Having said that, I have used LC ccs pads and hydro's with no problem. However the Rupes pads do kick a$$. I broke down and ordered a collection after attending a Thursday night detail at AG.

top189h
03-27-2014, 07:40 AM
I only used Uber/BnS pads with my 15 and I have never had any issues in use. I broke down and ordered some Rupes microfiber pads as my Meguiars pads all came apart except for one (while sitting). Once I need more foam pads, I will definitely be buying the Rupes pads, especially if they are anything like the quality in their microfiber pads.

RawDetail
03-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Does anyone find any issues with less surface area on the Rupes MF pads? They have huge air holes in them and I'm just wondering if people are having to do more passes or find less surface area covered because of this?

ski2
03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
The Rupes 6" backing plate is available with Velcro that has less holding power than the standard backing plate. The part number is 981.320 but haven't seen a 5" with less holding power.