PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 21 with non-Rupes pads

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Woob
04-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Haven't had any issues with my Buff & Shine 5.5 pads except for the Rupes really running them hard.

lj993
04-05-2014, 09:20 AM
nezff, pm sent re the rupes pads. thanks phil

Calendyr
04-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Just had an issue with mine yesterday.

Was working on a 1998 Porshe Boxter (beautiful car BTW).

I was using 5.5" Buff and shine white pad with HD Speed polish. After a while the pad started making noise. I stopped the machine and looked at the pad carefully and everything seemed to be fine.

I continued polishing and during one of the transition I had to do on the side of the door when I lifted the pad off the paint to switch my grip on the Rupes 21 the pad flew off the machine and about 10 feet in the air.

I switched to an other pad (same type) and after a while I noticed the pad was bent. The velco had lost it's grip on part of the pad and it shifted position on the backing plate.

For the rest of the car I lowered the speed from 6 to 5 and did not notice anymore problems. I was really careful and a bit paranoid about it the whole time though. For some reason I think the backing material on the B&S pads are not fully compatible with the Rupes backplates. It works but I don't feel it's safe to use them.

nezff
04-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Just had an issue with mine yesterday.

Was working on a 1998 Porshe Boxter (beautiful car BTW).

I was using 5.5" Buff and shine white pad with HD Speed polish. After a while the pad started making noise. I stopped the machine and looked at the pad carefully and everything seemed to be fine.

I continued polishing and during one of the transition I had to do on the side of the door when I lifted the pad off the paint to switch my grip on the Rupes 21 the pad flew off the machine and about 10 feet in the air.

I switched to an other pad (same type) and after a while I noticed the pad was bent. The velco had lost it's grip on part of the pad and it shifted position on the backing plate.

For the rest of the car I lowered the speed from 6 to 5 and did not notice anymore problems. I was really careful and a bit paranoid about it the whole time though. For some reason I think the backing material on the B&S pads are not fully compatible with the Rupes backplates. It works but I don't feel it's safe to use them.

:wow: Thanks for sharing that. There is no way I would have been able to continue knowing the next pad could possibly fly off too. Im probably going to all rupes pads just to be safe. I know some other guys use LC pads without any issues.

KillaCam
04-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Probably from running the machine at speed 6. I never go past 4 myself, no need to.

nezff
04-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Probably from running the machine at speed 6. I never go past 4 myself, no need to.

Even with heavily swirled panels? I assume more passes lower speed.

Kitoy22
04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Even with heavily swirled panels? I assume more passes lower speed.

With a mf cutting pad, you just need to slow your arm speed, and apply enough pressure just to maintain pad rotation. I just bump up the speed to 5 when i am working on curved panels to maintain pad rotation.

Zelfiris
04-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Had a chance to try the mini yesterday with a LC Hydro Cyan 4" foam pad that I using to polish the oxidation off my rims. Not something I recommend anyone to do since the mini should be used Rupes pad. But anyhow, I did it since I sold my GG3 recently and the pad was so dirty I would not ever used on paint. Well, at speed 5, within 3 minutes the velcro came off. I stopped the machine just in time before the pad flew. The Rupes Mini is a beast!

KillaCam
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
With a mf cutting pad, you just need to slow your arm speed, and apply enough pressure just to maintain pad rotation. I just bump up the speed to 5 when i am working on curved panels to maintain pad rotation.

This. Let the product, pad, and machine do the work.

Calendyr
04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
:wow: Thanks for sharing that. There is no way I would have been able to continue knowing the next pad could possibly fly off too. Im probably going to all rupes pads just to be safe. I know some other guys use LC pads without any issues.

Ya, I wasn't too comfortable doing it but I had no other brand of pads with me. The issue is when you lift the pad off so I was really careful about lifting the machine off the paint afterwards. I used a B&S red pad to buff off the sealant (Powerlock) and had no issue at all with it, so maybe the problem is limited to the white pads for some reason.

Calendyr
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I apply really little pressure with the Rupes 21, and only on the vertical panels. For horizontal ones the weight of the machine is enough. I really love this machine, does a great job and takes a lot less time than my Meguiar's DA. Only thing I don't like as much is the trigger activation, I prefer an on/off switch but that is really a minor thing compared to everything else I love about it.

Faris63
04-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Please PM me if you still have the Rupes pads. Thanks