PDA

View Full Version : Removing Swirls from small areas and near edges.

MilesTeg
03-26-2014, 06:14 PM
I've spent some time and got really good results removing swirl marks from my paint in the large flat areas (hood, doors, etc.). I used the porter cable machine + wolfgang that is recommended here, to very good results.

However, I'm not sure how to tackle the smaller areas and areas with creases and corners such as pillars, wheel trim areas, grill areas, areas around windows, etc.

I'm concerned about using the orbital anywhere near a corner or edge where the paint will be weaker, and obviously in smaller areas the pads just won't fit.

I assume the only viable means is by hand. So what's the best way (techniques, products, etc.) to tackle these problem areas to remove swirls?

swanicyouth
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Get some 3" pads and a 2 & 7/8" LC BP. You can tape off any trim required of the area is < 3" wide. It's ok to partially buff on tape and paint if you have to. Just try and make sure the tape stays flat.

TundraPower
03-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Get a Rupes Mini. You can't beat it in smaller areas. Regardless of what you decide to use be real darn careful around sharp corners and any edge.

Kamakaz1961
03-28-2014, 12:15 PM
I Have a Griots 3" DA Polisher. That would work. However, save $99 and buy the 3 inch backing plate for the PC 7424 XP and use the 3" pads from Lake Country or Griots. You can also get the extension bit for the PC with a 3" backing plate.

Had I did my research better, I would save the money on the Griot 3" DA polisher and get the backing plate for the PC.

IMO that is a good way to go for your polishing question.

DARK HORSE
03-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Get some 3" pads and a 2 & 7/8" LC BP. You can tape off any trim required of the area is < 3" wide. It's ok to partially buff on tape and paint if you have to. Just try and make sure the tape stays flat.

buy the 3 inch backing plate for the PC 7424 XP and use the 3" pads from Lake Country

^^This is good advice and works very well...

minorc
03-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Rupes mini, just picked one up. Awesome for A pillars, bumpers etc

03-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Rupes mini...

aim4squirrels
03-28-2014, 02:16 PM
By hand...

BlackRam
03-28-2014, 03:40 PM
When one polishes their A, B, and C pillars in your experience how is the paint compared to the rest of the vehicle? I seem to notice more swirl marks there then other areas. Is the paint super thin?

shagnat
03-29-2014, 02:07 AM
Depends on your budget...... I do mine by hand..... works fine and saves me a ton of money.
However, if you've got the $$ go for one for one of the machines mentioned. All are good ideas.

Eric@CherryOnTop
03-29-2014, 06:17 AM
I like the spot buffs kit AG sells. It's pretty much universal with attachments to use it on a rotary, DA or a drill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk