PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Spray Wax

Joe87T
03-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Hey guys, I figured I will NOOB out for a second lol - but just had a quick question for you.

Im new to auto detailing, and will only be using this product on my own personal car for my own enjoyment, so nothing professional going on here -- Im curious after I wash my car what is the better SPRAY wax to put on it? Ive been looking at Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax versus Griots Garage Spray on Wax - Both look to do the same thing but the Griots Product is quite literally double the price of the Meguiars - Will both of these do pretty much the same thing? Or does the Griots blow the Meguiars out of the water and justify the hike in price?

Any opinions are much appreciated, thanks guys!

BTW Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax = 8 Dollars at Walmart
Griots Garage Spray on Wax = 18 Dollars (Significant Difference)

Hjfowler
03-26-2014, 08:09 AM
I could be wrong but griots can be used as a drying aid, you you can dry the car with it as well as leaving a nice layer of protection. I don't think you can do that with Meg's. I have both. I use griots. But, again, I could be wrong on that.

GenesisCoupe
03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
You can get away with the Meguire's. Better yet, try Optimum Spray Wax. I heard it's one of the best if you are looking for somewhat of a protection.

Joe87T
03-26-2014, 08:13 AM
The drying aid part really doesn't bother me, I have no issues drying my car without using any spray products in the first place lol - just looking for something that's going to make it "pop" and shine between real wax applications and after a nice wash

Hjfowler
03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
The drying aid part really doesn't bother me, I have no issues drying my car without using any spray products in the first place lol - just looking for something that's going to make it "pop" and shine between real wax applications and after a nice wash

I would definitely recommend Meg's then. Like I said. I use both. I like the Meg's better for that application. And as you said, it's less than half the price.

swanicyouth
03-26-2014, 08:30 AM
I have both products and both a quite good. One thing to consider, the Griot's gives you more product, a nicer bottle, and a nicer sprayer for your $. The Griot's stuff just has a fancier feel to me for this reason.

Either product is a nice booster product over a wax or sealant. I don't think either product holds up very well as a stand alone wax. A lot of detailing product prices are all over the place. Sometimes you just buy what you buy because you just want it - not because you can justify it in dollars and cents.

One is sold at Walmart, and one available elsewhere. To me, I'd spend 10 bucks just to not have to go to Walmart - as I just hate the place. But, not everyone is in the position to throw away 10 bucks. So, if money is a concern - get Meg's. If you want to try something a little more "boutique" - get Griot's.

dad07
03-26-2014, 08:33 AM
If you like Ultimate Quick Wax,Megs D156 is the same stuff in the gallon size.

Duragloss Aqua Wax is another great option.

Kamakaz1961
03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
I dig Optimum Spray Wax. It is reasonably priced and IMO a better product than Griots or Megs. I believe Optimum is about the same price as the Megs.

Joz132
03-26-2014, 08:53 AM
I use D156 (Ultimate Quick Wax) all the time - It CAN be used as a drying aid. Also can be used in direct sun w/no streaks.

Great stuff for the price - $30/gallon

dcjredline
03-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I use D156 (Ultimate Quick Wax) all the time - It CAN be used as a drying aid. Also can be used in direct sun w/no streaks.

Great stuff for the price - $30/gallon

I will second that, and also suggest the Duragloss Aquawax as a comparable (and inexpensive) alternative.

Joe87T
03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys - Also as another sidenote

Im going to be using the Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax as my "Real Wax" that I apply to the car every once in awhile - Ive heard this is Synthetic so in reality its a Paint Sealant and not a true "wax" - However how long does this stuff usually last? Should I apply it once a month, once every two months? what are we usually talking about here

trekkeruss
03-26-2014, 12:25 PM
I've had Ultimate Wax on my Honda for a couple of months, and it has held up fine under the snow and rain here in Northern Virginia. I have not used a spray wax to fortify the finish, and my vehicle sits outside 24/7.