PDA

View Full Version : New to forum need opinion

youdontknowme
03-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Hello

Iam new this forum but have been coming here for about 2 years now to get info. You guys are the best!!!! I been hand detailing my cars since I was 16 and I do it just for my cars. Its kinda of a relaxing hobby for me. Well this last 2 years I been messing with Rotary and DA polishers more because you just get better results you can't by hand. I have educated myself as much as possible here and all other info online i can find. MIKE PHILLIPS your the best bud. I have 2 of your books and have watched so many of your how to videos it feels like I know you lol.

Ok now to my question. I just purchased a 2009 Audi S5. The paint is in pretty good shape. But its pearl black and of course swirl marks. So Iam waiting for the first sign of any spring to do a detail on it. let me tell you what i plan on doing and let me know if its a good plan or not. My goal is good protection but want a bam in your face shine.

1. Wash
2. Claybar (meguiars)
3. Wolfgang Swirl remover (applied with Meguilars DA Polisher)
4.Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (polish) applied with Meguiars Da Polisher)
5. One more coat of WG Finishing Glaze by hand just for a little extra shine.
6. and this is where Iam not sure Ill mess it up. Klasse AIO applied by hand
7. Klasse HG sealant
8. Pinnacle paste wax by hand.

the reason I want to put Klasse is I have had good luck with it. I like the look and the protection a lot. but so many people say the sealant without the AIO from Klasse combo is just that a combo so recommend not using the sealant without klasse AIO. But I know the AIO will remove some of the "fillers" by the WG polish.

And here is the kick. I already bought everything from autogeek loll. Iam a sucker when looking at car products.

Any tips, suggestions, Is this a good combo or am i wasting time or simply tell me kid your nuts stop detailing you don't know what your talking about. Thanks to all.

davey g-force
03-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Steps 5 & 6 are redundant IMO.

Also, you won't know until you do a test spot, but the WG Swirl Remover may not be strong enough to remove all the swirls. Audi paint is usually pretty hard...

mac11wildcat
03-26-2014, 10:14 AM
From experience, you may find the swirl remover does more work than you think it does. a final polish may be unnecessary depending on your paint.

UglyBetty
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Steps 5 & 6 are redundant IMO.

Also, you won't know until you do a test spot, but the WG Swirl Remover may not be strong enough to remove all the swirls. Audi paint is usually pretty hard...

Agreed, & 4 may be unnecessary if #3 finishes well.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
03-26-2014, 12:50 PM
If you're going to compound and/or polish you don't need to use an AIO.

I would go straight to Klasse SG and use 2-4 coats. I wouldn't bother with topping it with a wax. Klasse SG looks great when you layer it several times.

youdontknowme
03-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Thank you guys very much!!!!!

LaFawnduh
03-26-2014, 05:46 PM
If you're going to compound and/or polish you don't need to use an AIO.

I would go straight to Klasse SG and use 2-4 coats. I wouldn't bother with topping it with a wax. Klasse SG looks great when you layer it several times.

Strongly agree with this post! Adding an AIO, which typically has some cleaners in addition to minor polishing abbrasives, is redundant on paint which already went through a cleaning / polishing process. I'd spend the time saved on this step by adding some form of a polymer spray wax as a top coat over your work to seal it in for better longevity (Megs UQW, Souveran Spritz or BF Polymer Spray).

youdontknowme
03-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Strongly agree with this post! Adding an AIO, which typically has some cleaners in addition to minor polishing abbrasives, is redundant on paint which already went through a cleaning / polishing process. I'd spend the time saved on this step by adding some form of a polymer spray wax as a top coat over your work to seal it in for better longevity (Megs UQW, Souveran Spritz or BF Polymer Spray).

You guys are great Ill do that. Maybe Ill post the results once we can get some normal weather in Chicago area.